Site Frames

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Frames from RI sites that we've surface hunted over the past 20+ years. Most are multicomponent sites ranging from Paleo to Contact. Lithics include quartz, quartzite, argillite, felsite, rhyolite, flint, jasper(some Pa jasper, some RI jasper). Both fields and bay shoreline.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    609.7 KB · Views: 186
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    625.8 KB · Views: 215
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    508.2 KB · Views: 189
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    640.2 KB · Views: 156
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    617.7 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:
Upvote 0

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Very Nice Assemblage!

You must have buckets of broken pieces with that many complete artifacts.

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome collection Charl ! I always like to see site specific assemblege's kept intact. It is interesting to see some sites having more Jack's Reef points, others more triangles, etc. I didn't know RI had such a diversity of points and materials. I have read and heard about Felsite, but I don't know how to recognize it. if you get a chance some day I would like to see a few of the felsite points up close to learn what it looks like. Thanks again.

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A super collection :notworthy:In the last frame top right item, is that a glass bead or stone or what.

OP
OP
Charl

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A super collection :notworthy:In the last frame top right item, is that a glass bead or stone or what.

Thank you. That's a ceramic object, 1" in diameter, shell tempered, fingerprint pattern still visible. I'm guessing a bead because of size.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good looking collection Charl.
I keep mine separated by site also.
I see you have a shell button like I do bouncing around one of the frames.
I have a few that I'm never quite sure where to put... I think I may start a separate frame for things like clay pipes those buttons..beads..ect.

OP
OP
Charl

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome collection Charl ! I always like to see site specific assemblege's kept intact. It is interesting to see some sites having more Jack's Reef points, others more triangles, etc. I didn't know RI had such a diversity of points and materials. I have read and heard about Felsite, but I don't know how to recognize it. if you get a chance some day I would like to see a few of the felsite points up close to learn what it looks like. Thanks again.

Sure thing. Felsite, rhyolite and hornfels are the three most common metavolcanic lithics in southeastern New England. All these are various types of felsite. I don't know all the names, but the one that looks like the face of an owl is Hingham Felsite quarried south of Boston. The reddish one in top frame is "Attleboro Red" felsite, quarried in Attleboro, Ma. The solid brown felsite is the most common color. (2nd from left, first photo and stemless knife, 2nd photo) The bi-pointed leaf blade is black felsite, the lighter colored side is the more patinated side. The large fluted point, not my find, is from Deerfield, Ma, largest fluted point from New England, and is felsite as well, heavily patinated.

Thanks for the kind words, friends!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    434.9 KB · Views: 131
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    354.6 KB · Views: 139
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    542.1 KB · Views: 104
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    563.5 KB · Views: 116
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    429 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:
OP
OP
Charl

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good looking collection Charl.
I keep mine separated by site also.
I see you have a shell button like I do bouncing around one of the frames.
I have a few that I'm never quite sure where to put... I think I may start a separate frame for things like clay pipes those buttons..beads..ect.

it's actually shell tempered pottery. I found that in the salt water at one of my beach sites. I did think it was an old button at first. We do find shell buttons, the old style buttons, but I'm guessing this is native, but don't really know how it survived.....

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Huh.. that's different...this guy?

attachment-16-1.jpg

Not that it matters... isn't it funny how in a group of beautiful artifacts people will comment on some obscure item off to the side. Haha

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent view of RI artifacts! Don't get to see them too often here all assembled like that. Amazing number of whole ones- considering the climate and what it can do to stone... Truly looking forward to moving back up there soon (MA), and it's a good education for me to see the lithic and styles. Was raised in Ct. but never found a thing (way back then). Thank you for such a nice peek at your finds! Yak

OP
OP
Charl

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Excellent view of RI artifacts! Don't get to see them too often here all assembled like that. Amazing number of whole ones- considering the climate and what it can do to stone... Truly looking forward to moving back up there soon (MA), and it's a good education for me to see the lithic and styles. Was raised in Ct. but never found a thing (way back then). Thank you for such a nice peek at your finds! Yak

Thanks. I'm sure you'll do good the second time around:thumbsup: Ct. River Valley is probably the best. Southeastern Ma still has a lot of fields. Bay shoreline, don't know it well in Ma., but it's been good in RI. Most fields in southeastern New England are picked over after so many generations but a little Google Earth and asking around, you'll find stuff. Massachusetts Archaeological Society has several chapters as well. The American Society Amateur Archaeology(ASAA) meets twice a year in Norwell, Ma. Folks brought in lots of nice Paleo stuff last time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread