Six inch coil frustration

Steve_K

Aug 7, 2019
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had my equinox 800 for a couple weeks and have only gotten to spend a few minutes here and there with it. Was going to do some hunting today with the small coil. Plugged it in, the machine won't boot. Just get the rotating bars, a beep, and the bars again. Switched coils and it boots just fine with the larger one. Dealer suggested a factory reset, did that, after a reset it shows Er 41 and shuts down. If I go back to the 11" coil it boots just fine, switching to the the small coil I have to go through a reset to even get the error code. Waiting on a call from the service center now, hope their customer service is as good as I've heard. ???

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Steve_K -- sounds to me like a faulty "chip" in the 6" coil; that's just speculation, but I do know that Minelab will get you taken care of, in a timely manner...

Steve

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably DOA. They'll take care of it.

OP
OP
S

Steve_K

Aug 7, 2019
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Posted this in a minelab group on FB. Very first reply identified the problem. The dealer sent me a CTX06 coil. It should have been an EQX06 coil. Hopefully he'll send another and I can return this one.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, that would do it. The 6" coil, the right one, will do a lot better in the trashy areas. The bigger coil is better for wide open field hunting.

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The CTX coil is a 300$ coil so they will be wanting that back...and if they don’t, look me up please.:)

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And while I’m here,I’ll agree with Smokey in the regard that along with the speed of the Equinox, the 6” coil will be a godsend in the garbage. I’m starting to see the genius in the machine, and it has ALOT to do with running the speed at 6 or 7. Even at 7, I’m seeing small US coins coming up from 8-9” without a doubt, and this is amidst quite a bit of trash and nails. Any slower than 5 and I don’t believe it has any advantage over the CTX running in “Fast”, but that’s just an opinion. The 6” will allow you to hear each target more clearly and assess it better.

OP
OP
S

Steve_K

Aug 7, 2019
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Talked to Bart this morning at bigboyshobbies and he confirmed I had the wrong coil. He was very apologetic and is sending me the correct coil which I already have shipping notification for. He also emailed me a prepaid shipping label to send this one back. Great service!!

Steve

OP
OP
S

Steve_K

Aug 7, 2019
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And while I’m here,I’ll agree with Smokey in the regard that along with the speed of the Equinox, the 6” coil will be a godsend in the garbage. I’m starting to see the genius in the machine, and it has ALOT to do with running the speed at 6 or 7. Even at 7, I’m seeing small US coins coming up from 8-9” without a doubt, and this is amidst quite a bit of trash and nails. Any slower than 5 and I don’t believe it has any advantage over the CTX running in “Fast”, but that’s just an opinion. The 6” will allow you to hear each target more clearly and assess it better.

I'm excited about using the small coil. I have been hunting a local park that has been hunted to death just trying get familiar with this machine. I have found several Rosies and a few lincoln pennies but they have all been at least 5" deep amongst a lot of trash. This morning I got a slight hit, decided to dig and pulled a duplex nail out of the ground. Checked the hole and still had a good signal and dug out a Roosevelt dime, very happy with this machine to this point.

Bayoutalker

Sep 30, 2012
Highlands, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Talked to Bart this morning at bigboyshobbies and he confirmed I had the wrong coil. He was very apologetic and is sending me the correct coil which I already have shipping notification for. He also emailed me a prepaid shipping label to send this one back. Great service!!

Steve
Bart has always done right by me. I really am glad I found him to do business with.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread