What's new

Skeleton key with brass number tag.

Lpetite

Jr. Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2015
Messages
43
Reaction score
86
Golden Thread
0
Location
Gonzales,LA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found this key with tag attached. Tag has number 47 on both sides. Found at home site from 1880s. Site is in the middle of the woods by Mississippi River far from any towns. Any ideas on what it could be numbered for? Thanks
 

Attachments

  • image.webp
    image.webp
    1.7 MB · Views: 179
Upvote 14
Motel room maybe?
 
Very cool. With that high of a number, it is fair to assume it may be from a long-gone hotel along the river...congrats on a great find. Sub 8-)
 
I went to P.S. 47 when I was a kid.
We had to carry a bathroom pass
but they didn't have keys attached.
Seriously though, , how old do you
think that key is. Maybe 1900's?
How many hotels had 47 rooms?
Maybe a a Cruise Ship?
 
I found a lot of them on BEACHES. They were towel tags from locker rooms. Maybe yours is from a public pool or beach? Mine were round though with numbers. All skeleton keys. Possibly a mystery you will never have an answer to.
 
Finding a skeleton key is always nice, but one with a tag is even better. Big Congrats!

tabman
 
I tend to agree with p@tch. Nice dig, that will display nicely.
 
About 10 foot away from the key I dug a 1882 dime and a 1887 dime so I'm guessing site is late 1800s. It's just a small pile of bricks in the woods that I came across. I know of 2 plantations that were somewhat close by but other than that it's atleast 5 miles from any houses or modern civilization. This is the second skeleton key I found there but the other one is 8 inches long it's huge here's pics of the dimes n other key.
 

Attachments

  • image.webp
    image.webp
    355.5 KB · Views: 115
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    143.3 KB · Views: 100
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    46.3 KB · Views: 103
Cool finds. It looks like a really good site. You should hit every square inch of that spot.

I just found my first skeleton key a few days ago but haven't put it up on the site yet. It's nowhere near as huge as that one you found.
That one looks like a key to a jail cell. It's very cool. Those dimes are sweet too.
Congrats...
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom