Skunked at the Condom Canopy but prevailed elsewhere

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
Last night I made a list of spots I wanted to try out the following morning. Some spots I hadn't been to before, some spots I had success at that I wanted to work a little harder, and, well, some I never did well at and wanted to return to just because I'm a stubborn glutton for punishment. Woke up at the buzzer but must have hit the snooze button one too many times because I woke up two hours later than I wanted to. Oops. So I hit the road and was off to the first location. I had never been here before but it looked promising. Got to the place and had a few sweet-sounding hits but nothing more than some deep copper pipe fittings and such that sound really nice. A short stroll took me back to an area I have found some of my nicest silver coins. I knew there was a reason why I wrote this place off last fall. I didn't find jack and felt I had wasted a good hour on a beat-up spot. Headed over to another place I had been to once before. Didn't find anything at all there, so I took a ride to the next location on my list. Jumped into the woods and soon discovered the place was thick with young trees and shrubs and all that, and swinging here was like trying to weedwhack Sequoias. However, on my way out, I found a little clear area that, from a distance, didn't look too bad, until I got there. I immediately noticed condom wrappers all over the ground. Scores of them. This is not new to me, and I'm sure we have all seen mushroom hunter love nests before. It's when I looked up to avoid hitting the low branches that I noticed the used condoms, all over the tree like some sick perverted Christmas scene. Probably a hundred or more, of all shapes, sizes, and colors. Condoms representing all walks of life and sizes of, ahem, well, you get the picture. I thought to myself, who in the hell would do this? Someone was proud of their handiwork. A stranger won't just pick up soiled prophylactics and hang them, this was definitely the work of people that, statistically, I have probably shaken the hand of at some point or another. Even though I was grossed out to the MAX, I couldn't help but kneel down to read the hilarious titles of the condom wrappers on the forest floor. The stuff marketing comes up with, boy, how did I possibly resist racing over to the nearest sex store and grabbing a pack or two of Iron Man wanker jackets?? Needless to say, I was out of there with full intention on never, ever returning. Without a camera.

So I was actually going to go home since I had been out for a while and was a little beat, but I kind of wanted to try out an area I have been eyeing since last year. Swung for what seemed like an eternity, finding nothing at all but a couple screw caps and shotgun shells, until I got a really odd bouncing signal. I only dug it because it was showing five inches. I saw the small disc emerge from the hole and I picked it up to check it out. Strange that I didn't even realize it was a nickel until I saw a "V" materialize. Woo-hoo!! Finally, something worth all my time. Checked out the front, got the 1905 date. Coool. I got up and rescanned and got nothing, so I filled the hole and swept a foot away, only to get another odd signal, at the same depth, only more bouncy than the first. I figured the likelyhood of this not being another coin was poor, so I dug it up. Scanned the bottom of the six-inch deep hole and got a penny signal. Found it and saw it was a wheatie. Stood up and scaned again, but now I was getting hits in the hole still AND in the dirtpile off to the side! Grabbed two more wheaties from the hole, and then Sunrayed the dirtpile. I saw a silver reeded edge of a dime and another wheatie stuck together. Well, I knew the coin had to be at least a merc, since all the wheaties and the V were early. Hoped for a Barber but got a 1919 merc. All right! Something I have been waiting for for a long time. I also found a little blue Cracker Jack passenger car in the hole as well. Finally convinced myself that the hole was dry and decided to work the immediate area a little more painstakingly. Got a perfect nickel signal a couple feet away and from less than one inch popped out an 1897 V. After one more wheatie, I decided to quit for the day, to return another day, since my back was beginning to feel very stiff.

Totals for the day are the '19 merc, '05 and '97 V's, and five wheaties ('28, '17, '21, '18, and '25). Lots of trash from the first few sites, some clad too. All in all a great day, even though it felt all for naught the first few hours. Hope to see what you guys got this weekend.

Joe

Attachments

• IMG.jpg
    IMG.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 316
  • IMG.jpg
    IMG.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 273

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As I was reading the story I thought....Hummmm I know he's going to say that it was all a DREAM while he was over sleeping.....

Nice coinage.....

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Wow! All my honey holes have clad in them. Got 10 coins in one hole today, all clad/zincoln. Nice hunt Joe!

I like that, some good coinage, and knowingly mixing your two sites up, a streetcar named.....

Jack 'er Crack

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some awesome stuff Joe :thumbsup:

What's even more amazing, is that CJ streetcar still has the blue paint job. . . and that is cool!

Mayo South Elgin

Feb 5, 2007
South Elgin IL
Detector(s) used
MineLab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great perseverance Joe!
Although after hearing about the pervo Christmas tree, I was wondering what you were getting at when you said "I only dug it because it was showing five inches" :o but I felt better after I continued to read and got the whole story!
Congratz on the V's and silver!

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac and Grey Ghost NDT; Garrett Pointer Pro
Nice Job on the coins Joe! Now you have some V's for 2010. Too bad the cent wasn't and IH and the dime wasn't a barber.

As to the carefully adorned tree, I don't have too much to say other than its rather disturbing and seems like quite a bio-hazard. At the very least, I wish people would learn that nature is not their hourly rate hotel room. I am supposing that just like game hunters who like to hang deer or bear or buffalo trophy busts on the wall, mushroom hunters too take similar pride in what they hunt. It's too bad that they have to do that outside to a tree, than say the wall in their rec room.

OP
OP
twistidd

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
Mayo South Elgin said:
Great perseverance Joe!
Although after hearing about the pervo Christmas tree, I was wondering what you were getting at when you said "I only dug it because it was showing five inches" :o but I felt better after I continued to read and got the whole story!
Congratz on the V's and silver!

lmao!!

p2c said:
Nice Job on the coins Joe! Now you have some V's for 2010. Too bad the cent wasn't and IH and the dime wasn't a barber.

As to the carefully adorned tree, I don't have too much to say other than its rather disturbing and seems like quite a bio-hazard. At the very least, I wish people would learn that nature is not their hourly rate hotel room. I am supposing that just like game hunters who like to hang deer or bear or buffalo trophy busts on the wall, mushroom hunters too take similar pride in what they hunt. It's too bad that they have to do that outside to a tree, than say the wall in their rec room.

Yeah man, I agree. As an environmentalist, it irks me that some people simply treat nature in such an undignified manner. It makes it worse when they are doing this to areas that only exist in small patches around here. I've seen worse examples of mistreatment to our natural preserves, but this case was one of the more creepy ones I've experienced (next to Kermit's giant purple dildo episode), in a very Buffalo Bill/Silence of the Lambs kind of way.

Attachments

• lotion on skin.jpg
    lotion on skin.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 5,800
OP
OP
twistidd

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Kimsdad said:
Great finds, Joe!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

The little CJ trolley is awesome! I want to find one of those!

Hey Neil, long time!! Are we gonna get out this year? Mark has mentioned a location that needs a revisiting soon, hope we can get out once everything dies down. Good seeing you here,

Joe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread