Skunks how problematic are these animals

Rmeav8r

Nov 4, 2004
NW Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Makro Simplex+, Nokta Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your concerns are real. If you want to know about rabies in your area call your local animal control or wildlife agency. They will tell you right away if there is a ā€œrabies alertā€ or something similar. They keep very good records of those things and are always on the lookout for flare up of this very serious disease. Where I live there is a constant problem with raccoons, bobcats and skunks just to name a few. Thereā€™s not a big problem unless they are living in close contact with people or pets. A rabid animal is undetectable until itā€™s too late, in a mater of days it can go from peaceful to dangerously aggressive. Just a few weeks ago there was a woman that was attacked by a rabid bobcat outside her home....completely unprovoked. Like Covid...rabies is real!

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Years ago I was hitch-hiking and a spelunker gave me a ride. He started talking about bats and rabies. Said one guy got rabies without even getting bit--just breathing the cave air. Every year around here (Billings, MT) they find some rabid animals. Bats and skunks mostly and a few raccoons. Skunks are known scavengers. Best I can recall certain times of the year (Summer) skunks are more mobile. If it was me I would call the animal control agency. They can trap them and move them someplace else. No different than keeping a cat or dog without a rabies vaccination.

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
from a couple of years ago,

Jesus H Christ, I can barely breathe. Its 9PM and the doors are open, a skunk comes in just strolling around (been in the house before) . . . and then gato jumps him and gets sprayed, gato comes over to me becoming ever more agitated ā€˜till he bolts out the door, Mr. Skunk completes his evening stroll and exits the back door as well. Now Iā€™m trying to block all of gatoā€™s entrances back into the house for the night. Gato is now trying to get in via a side window, no go. I need to block the front, heā€™s meowing out there now. This would be comic if it didnā€™t stink so bad. 11PM and gatoā€™s eyes are swollen almost shut.

they live somewhere close, every evening 8pm or so for many years
they go first to the garbage, which is rinsed to avoid picking it up again
dig around some, so what?

and how did you determine they have rabies?
fear projection?

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
According to the biologists skunks are more prone to carry rabies than other animals,but I,ve never actually seen a rabid skunk or any other animal.Again according to bioligists most rabid animals have the "dumb"version,they just basically lie down and die.That said I don,t want skunks around the house because of the smell,not the rabies threat.Bet you didn,t know that Opossums are the only known mammal that neither carries or contracts rabies!You can check that as I,m going from memory from my long ago trapping days but I believe it,s correct.

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ahh, Mephitis-mephitis. I've caught one or two. Most has been covered already. Yes, skunks get rabies and may carry it without showing symptoms. In CT we can't relocate them, due to being a rabies vector species (coons and fox also).
Pretty mild animal, except for their one defense. I've been sprayed more times than I can remember, from feet to face. Since I have to euthanize all skunks that I remove, I freeze them, then "milk" the essence from their glands, to sell to trap supply companies.

Attachments

• PA090829.JPG
    PA090829.JPG
    810.6 KB · Views: 32
  • PA090830.JPG
    PA090830.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 27

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wouldn't count on opossums being immune to rabies. Any mammal can contract rabies. They just seem to have such a low body temperature that the virus is less virulent and thus are opossums are less likely to die from it, or transmit it to anther mammal. But, they are a preferred vector for leptospirosis. And that can make you, or your pets, very ill - even to death. Look up "Rat Catcher's Yellows" or "black jaundice".

For that matter people hardly ever get rabies. But we are certainly not immune. 1 to 3 cases annually out of 320,000,000 people in the US. You just don't want to be one that does.

Last edited:

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
mercy, not even a skunk can live w/o being hunted
am reminded of the SF novel where they returned to harvest the seeded protein
the locals called it Earth

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And this is how we keep them out from under sheds, decks, porches, etc.

Attachments

• P4110496.JPG
    P4110496.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 23
  • P4110497.JPG
    P4110497.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 28
  • P4110498.JPG
    P4110498.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 26

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You may be right there charlie p.I was going from memory on that one from an article I read in a game biology magazine.Correct on the leptospirosis.Supposedly armadillos can carry a form of leprosy.Lots of nasties,be careful out there.

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ahh, Mephitis-mephitis. I've caught one or two. Most has been covered already. Yes, skunks get rabies and may carry it without showing symptoms. In CT we can't relocate them, due to being a rabies vector species (coons and fox also).
Pretty mild animal, except for their one defense. I've been sprayed more times than I can remember, from feet to face. Since I have to euthanize all skunks that I remove, I freeze them, then "milk" the essence from their glands, to sell to trap supply companies.

Sounds like work.:tongue3:

Have you ever seen a spotted skunk?

I saw one scamper accros a road at night in MN once, never seen one again.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like skunks, they seem pretty laid back to me and mind their own business if you mind yours. Very few around my house, though I can smell them from time to time rarely ever see one. I have a camper out in the sticks and they thrive around there, there is one albino skunk there that I have known for years, almost like a feral pet. I leave stuff out for them at night and like to watch them and the coons competing for grub. Left 3/4 of a big old birthday cake, by the time I could take a whiz and come back they were licking the platter, all of them had icing on their chops.

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Currentā€¦.Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Pastā€¦.Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like skunks, they seem pretty laid back to me and mind their own business if you mind yours. Very few around my house, though I can smell them from time to time rarely ever see one. I have a camper out in the sticks and they thrive around there, there is one albino skunk there that I have known for years, almost like a feral pet. I leave stuff out for them at night and like to watch them and the coons competing for grub. Left 3/4 of a big old birthday cake, by the time I could take a whiz and come back they were licking the platter, all of them had icing on their chops.

The first sentence is the trick....leave them alone. Donā€™t create a food source if you donā€™t want them around. Your pets donā€™t know any better, so make sure theyā€™re vaccinated. If attacked or screwed with, they will defend themselves, and you wonā€™t like the results. Itā€™s just about all common sense, really. I donā€™t claim to be an animal expert but I canā€™t imagine theyā€™re any more ā€œdangerousā€ than raccoons or even your neighbors crabby ass cat. Dogs can be WAY more dangerous than any of the smaller animals around, though ā€œnuisanceā€ dogs are still a rarity.
People are still scared of possums. Can you imagine? Itā€™s almost laughable, but people will always be scared of what they arenā€™t familiar with. The little turds that really mess stuff up are SQUIRRELS! Theyā€™re not gonna jack you for your wallet or anything but if there is something around to be wrecked, theyā€™ll wreck it!

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As others have pointed out, humans are the malicious ones to watch out for.
No skunk is going to spray you just to ruin your day, they only do it when they perceive themselves to be threatened, they are nearly tame when they sense a good attitude, and especially if they think you are a food source like they do me.
Possums I think people are freaked by their looks and negative attitude, they look like a stretched out mangy rat and are very elusive and just plain weird, never a sign of happiness or curiosity. I saw a huge one the other night walking my dog, we both caught some motion at the same time and he went charging over - He was dead by the time I got there, tongue hanging out, eyes all skewed in their sockets, no sign of any breath. I let my dog rag doll it a few seconds then told him to drop it, which he did and we moved on. On the way back we both looked where his corpse should have been and he was long gone, they really do put on a stellar act of being dead, I would have bet $$ on it.

John Matuszak

Sep 24, 2020
Tennessee, Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My dog growing up was a few sandwiches short of a picnic. Didn't matter how many times she took a skunkful of skunk juice to the eyes ā€“ she never learned her lesson and kept on harrassing them. Poor thing probably spent half her nights sleeping in the garage, stinking to high heaven.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Back in the 80ā€™s one of dadā€™s renters had a year old de-scented pet female skunk. They didnā€™t want her anymore so I volunteered to adopt her. Big mistake. When she was delivered I saw she was extremely over weight, reason being they had only fed her bread covered with butter and sugar. I tried to wean her off of that, no luck. If I tried to feed her something else she would stamp her feet, throw a tantrum and scream like a baby. Sheā€™d also have nothing to do with any male human but a girlfriend could pick her up and hold her no problem. That skunk ended up someone elseā€™s problem.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your concerns are real. If you want to know about rabies in your area call your local animal control or wildlife agency. They will tell you right away if there is a ā€œrabies alertā€ or something similar. They keep very good records of those things and are always on the lookout for flare up of this very serious disease. Where I live there is a constant problem with raccoons, bobcats and skunks just to name a few. Thereā€™s not a big problem unless they are living in close contact with people or pets. A rabid animal is undetectable until itā€™s too late, in a mater of days it can go from peaceful to dangerously aggressive. Just a few weeks ago there was a woman that was attacked by a rabid bobcat outside her home....completely unprovoked. Like Covid...rabies is real!

I saw a video online of a rabid bob cat attack...guy had to pull it off his wife and give it a good throw, ended up having to shoot it too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread