Slave tag

DoranHashemi

Mar 12, 2013
Savannah, Georgia
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Old man showed us this. I almost fainted. Looks like a slave tag. He said it was. He's been detecting for 30 years and found this in South Carolina Any experts? image.jpg

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
show me credible proof of a tag being found anywhere but Chareston.I admit when I am wrong.Helping out is giving truthful info.I dont give two chits if you have me on ignore!
''

Rare early American slave tag one side engraved "Kemp Plantation Tobacco and Cotton - State of Mississippi - Fletcher" reverse engraved "Curtis - Field Worker - Kemp Plantation 1804 - Mississippi" border of tag has engraved shackles and linked chains.

1826 Mississippi Slave Tag (PICs)

This was a test! What a fake... Sold for $1,100 at auction..

Last edited:
Upvote 0

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Charelston Mechanic 1823

see shouldnt have me on ignore ya might learn something:laughing7:

Upvote 0

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
''

Rare early American slave tag one side engraved "Kemp Plantation Tobacco and Cotton - State of Mississippi - Fletcher" reverse engraved "Curtis - Field Worker - Kemp Plantation 1804 - Mississippi" border of tag has engraved shackles and linked chains.

1826 Mississippi Slave Tag (PICs)

Ya might want to read your research material Boss..........................I said Credible

Upvote 0

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep good job! I was testing you.. that is def 100% a fake that sold for $1,100 in auction!!! Someone got suckered !

Upvote 0

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Deleted by poster .. Tootles!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bryanhashemi

Mar 15, 2012
Savannah, Ga
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, whites xlt
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey creskol. We are going back this Sunday to see it again and we will take a pic of the back for you guys!

Upvote 0

CC Hunter

Aug 7, 2004
Timbuktu
Detector(s) used
Magnet on a Stick
The details on this posted example appear correct for an authentic Charleston Slave Hire Badge (slave tag). The year is 1823, and this would have been one manufactured by Charleston silversmith John Joseph Lafar. On some years the maker's punch mark is on the obverse (front), and other years the mark is on the reverse. Due to the bend in this particular example, and the angle of lighting in the photo, it is not clear if there is in fact a LAFAR punch mark under the date. The back side of authentic slave hire badges will generally be blank, with the exception of those marked with the maker's punch on the back, or in other isolated cases of the rarer late period Civil War years, when there was a shortage of copper and the badges were sometimes stamped over and reissued (a friend of mine actually dug one of these double stamped slave hire badges on one of our hunts together years ago, fully stamped on both sides with city, number, and occupation, in subsequent dated years).

In regards to locality of authentic excavated "slave tags", the vast majority have come from sites on the peninsula within the old district of the city of Charleston SC. As one travels further from Charleston, the probability of locating these items decreases substantially. There have been isolated recoveries in surrounding South Carolina counties, and even as far away as Georgia, Florida, North Carolina, Alabama, and possibly a few other places. However, from experience, even large plantation sites that were very active during the 19th century, and only 20-30 miles from Charleston, were found to rarely produce a slave hire badge. Fact is, the badge was a city of Charleston requirement, and therefore only certain slaves that were hired out to work for others within the city, were required to carry this identification. There are a few rare slave hire badges marked Charleston Neck, or in some cases simply C.N., that were for the small district at the narrow "neck" of the Charleston peninsula, where the city extends past two major rivers, and into the bay created by the convergence of the Ashley, Cooper, and Wando Rivers, and the Atlantic.

Personally I have excavated 6 authentic Charleston Slave Hire Badges over the years. The attached photo of a CHARLESTON 1841 SERVANT, is one of my personal recoveries. My father has excavated an additional 3 slave hire badges. In my collection are another 3 that were recovered by friends while searching sites together. I've held and examined dozens of other examples over the years, as well as viewing the collection at The Charleston Museum.

Slave Hire Badges are noted in a number of occupations, with SERVANT being the most commonly encountered. Following in sequence of rarity, are; PORTER, MECHANIC (as well as the rare spelling MECHANICK), FRUITERER (and also FRUITERER &c.), FISHER, CARPENTER (very rare), HUCKSTER (extremely rare), FREE (extremely rare and only known in early examples).

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/what/225162-could-possibly-slave-tag.html#msg2749557

Browse Catalogue of Stack's January 2006 Auction - Limited to: The Americana Sale → The Paul West Collection of Charleston & Charleston Neck Slave Hire Badges, 1800 - 1864

http://www.wakeforestcoins.com/slave%20badges/slave%20badges.htm

Slavery tokens, Slave Tags, Anti-Slavery items, more! Mail bid, fixed-price sales, buying.

Slave Tags

CC Hunter

Attachments

• 1841Servant.jpg
    1841Servant.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 138
Upvote 0

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other

Last edited:
Upvote 0

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well I stand corrected then.I am %99 positive I gleaned my info from CC Hunter,and also through various Google Searches,that backed up what I stated.Guess I was wrong

Upvote 0

rayrayvegas

Bronze Member
Jan 2, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Kuger just because you have ALOT of posts, but this does not make you the all knowing master on every subject, if you feel that way dont post and question every answer you recieve. Were all here to enjoy the hobby and learn and help each other, I may not have as many posts as you but it does not give you the right to put people down for there help. I have been very surprised at the way some of the older members here have acted, many of us lower post members may be new to this site but not to our wonderful hobby of detecting, try to remember that.

Upvote 0

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other

Last edited:
Upvote 0

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kuger just because you have ALOT of posts, but this does not make you the all knowing master on every subject, if you feel that way dont post and question every answer you recieve. Were all here to enjoy the hobby and learn and help each other, I may not have as many posts as you but it does not give you the right to put people down for there help. I have been very surprised at the way some of the older members here have acted, many of us lower post members may be new to this site but not to our wonderful hobby of detecting, try to remember that.

Dear sir,I understand your fairly new here so you likely dont realize how this section works.People post items to have them IDed...most dont wish to have smoke blown up their rears.So we discuss them to eventually come to an accurate conclusion.If you will notice there are a few on here that have higher post counts that are pretty fair at giving accurate information,these arent "atta boy",posts.I have never claimed to be all knowing,and find it funny that you choose to slam me for admitting I am wrong.I actually recall helping you id an item in the past?If you would like smoke blown,then hey,put me on ignore,I am not about "warm fuzzy feelings" :thumbsup:Also before you start throwing accusations,you may want to look around....maybe in the prospecting section,and see what many of my posts have to do with....I kind of have a good reputation on here for certain things

Last edited:
Upvote 0

rayrayvegas

Bronze Member
Jan 2, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Dear sir,I understand your fairly new here so you likely dont realize how this section works.People post items to have them IDed...most dont wish to have smoke blown up their rears.So we discuss them to eventually come to an accurate conclusion.If you will notice there are a few on here that have higher post counts that are pretty fair at giving accurate information,these arent "atta boy",posts.I have never claimed to be all knowing,and find it funny that you choose to slam me for admitting I am wrong.I actually recall helping you id an item in the past?If you would like smoke blown,then hey,put me on ignore,I am not about "warm fuzzy feelings" :thumbsup:Also before you start throwing accusations,you may want to look around....maybe in the prospecting section,and see what many of my posts have to do with....I kind of have a good reputation on here for certain things

I have been on this earth long enough to realize the differance between correcting someones reply with respect and dignity and slammig someones answer if you feel you are right, admiting your wrong after the fact still does not excuse behavior. And would seem to give you a heads up on being so stuck on being right as no one was blowing smoke as proven. I remember your help on my item and respected your intrest in my post. I have no doubt you are a very knowledgeable person in this hobby and I love all input on my finds , yours included. and never asked for "warm fuzzy feelings" as you stated by I do ask for a little respect as a fellow treasure hunter who also has been in this hobby for over 25 years. I believe your good reputation on helping people on id's here, just question your techniques in your discussions, I mean no disrespect just making an observation as I am entitled too as you are entitled too yours. And I dont get so defensive as to ignore anyone. Just not my style. Anyways HH.

Upvote 0

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been on this earth long enough to realize the differance between correcting someones reply with respect and dignity and slammig someones answer if you feel you are right, admiting your wrong after the fact still does not excuse behavior. And would seem to give you a heads up on being so stuck on being right as no one was blowing smoke as proven. I remember your help on my item and respected your intrest in my post. I have no doubt you are a very knowledgeable person in this hobby and I love all input on my finds , yours included. and never asked for "warm fuzzy feelings" as you stated by I do ask for a little respect as a fellow treasure hunter who also has been in this hobby for over 25 years. I believe your good reputation on helping people on id's here, just question your techniques in your discussions, I mean no disrespect just making an observation as I am entitled too as you are entitled too yours. And I dont get so defensive as to ignore anyone. Just not my style. Anyways HH.

Ray,I should have added in my initial reply to you a "Thank you",I respect your opinion.I am me,though,and will not apologize for searching out truth.That is owed to anybody on here that asks.I was not wanting to re hash a certain members actions on here but now feel I must since you are calling me out......if you read back,and think for one second that Hutsite is being truthful above...you my friend are Naive.He blatantly put up false info,then turned around and miserably failed at covering tracks.This is not the first time he has done this and it have peaved more than one member on here...if you ask me that is a bald face Lie,and I dont about yopu but I cant stand a liar.
I have been a member on this site for a very long time and I think have contributed in a very positive way,and learned a lot as well.I care about this site(I am a paying member for that reason)I will not stand by and let this #1 spot on the net be taken down the Fairyland trail that all other sites "Whats it sections "are.....a joke!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread