Slump Finally Over! (with pics)

eddie72876

Mar 27, 2005
Myrtle Beach, SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer 2
Hi Everyone,

Its been a long time for me without a find worth posting (believe me not from a lack of hunting). I still hunt as often as I can and I got a few hours in this weekend. I went to my best friends' neighbors mid 1800s farm house and made a few good finds. First I found my 2nd barber dime (I posted my 1st last year). It is a 1913 and isn't in as good of shape as my 1st, but I'm still REALLY happy with it. After that I dug up my 1st gun. I thought it was an old cap gun until i cleaned off some of the heavy dirt and saw the back of the rimfire shells :o. Looks like .22 cal. When I cleaned it up later, after I made sure none of the rounds were live, I noticed that the barrel was much too large of a bore to be a .22. Turns out that I found an old starter pistol that shot blanks. I cleaned it in the ultrasonic cleaner and The moveable parts that are left still move. A little while after that I found my 2nd oldest coin. Its a 1846 large cent. ;D It has a small hole drilled right through the center of it. Funny, but I think I like it better that way....it adds character. I'm guessing that way back in the day some little kid probably wore this with a string around their neck. Anyway, just thought all of you might like to see this stuff. I know I did!!!

Attachments

• 1913 barber dime obv..JPG
    1913 barber dime obv..JPG
    115.4 KB · Views: 618
  • gun 2.JPG
    gun 2.JPG
    122 KB · Views: 624
  • 1846 lg. cent obv..JPG
    1846 lg. cent obv..JPG
    95.3 KB · Views: 614
Upvote 0

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat coins. Tsgman

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice coins, Eddie.

Neat large cent, too. I like the holed coins the best...I don't care what anyone says about them! :)

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW, The Ssize hurt my Eyes :P

Nice Finds Eddie

Attachments

• indexresize.jpg
    indexresize.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 605
  • indexsize.jpg
    indexsize.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 609
  • resizeindex.jpg
    resizeindex.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 605

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great job Eddie...I know what you mean about a "slump",nice going.HH!!

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
real nice way to break the slump! way to go!

Deerhunter24

Jul 1, 2005
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; Garrett GTI 1500
Nice finds. An old timer once told me that they used to drill through coins for a special purpose. He said the mothers would sew them onto their childrens pant legs so that they wouldn't lose them. I guess back then kids lost money, so they figured they would lose less if they sewed them onto their clothes. Then I guess the kids would just rip them off when they spent them. I guess some were still lost. Great find.

PS- Not sure of the accuracy of the story that was told, but it makes sense and is interesting.

Deerhutner24

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread