Slump Finally Over! (with pics)

eddie72876

Mar 27, 2005
Myrtle Beach, SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer 2
Hi Everyone,

Its been a long time for me without a find worth posting (believe me not from a lack of hunting). I still hunt as often as I can and I got a few hours in this weekend. I went to my best friends' neighbors mid 1800s farm house and made a few good finds. First I found my 2nd barber dime (I posted my 1st last year). It is a 1913 and isn't in as good of shape as my 1st, but I'm still REALLY happy with it. After that I dug up my 1st gun. I thought it was an old cap gun until i cleaned off some of the heavy dirt and saw the back of the rimfire shells :o. Looks like .22 cal. When I cleaned it up later, after I made sure none of the rounds were live, I noticed that the barrel was much too large of a bore to be a .22. Turns out that I found an old starter pistol that shot blanks. I cleaned it in the ultrasonic cleaner and The moveable parts that are left still move. A little while after that I found my 2nd oldest coin. Its a 1846 large cent. ;D It has a small hole drilled right through the center of it. Funny, but I think I like it better that way....it adds character. I'm guessing that way back in the day some little kid probably wore this with a string around their neck. Anyway, just thought all of you might like to see this stuff. I know I did!!!

Attachments

• 1913 barber dime obv..JPG
    1913 barber dime obv..JPG
    115.4 KB · Views: 618
  • gun 2.JPG
    gun 2.JPG
    122 KB · Views: 624
  • 1846 lg. cent obv..JPG
    1846 lg. cent obv..JPG
    95.3 KB · Views: 614
Upvote 0
Neat coins. Tsgman

Nice coins, Eddie.

Neat large cent, too. I like the holed coins the best...I don't care what anyone says about them! :)

WOW, The Ssize hurt my Eyes :P

Nice Finds Eddie

Attachments

• indexresize.jpg
    indexresize.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 605
  • indexsize.jpg
    indexsize.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 609
  • resizeindex.jpg
    resizeindex.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 605
Great job Eddie...I know what you mean about a "slump",nice going.HH!!

real nice way to break the slump! way to go!

Nice finds. An old timer once told me that they used to drill through coins for a special purpose. He said the mothers would sew them onto their childrens pant legs so that they wouldn't lose them. I guess back then kids lost money, so they figured they would lose less if they sewed them onto their clothes. Then I guess the kids would just rip them off when they spent them. I guess some were still lost. Great find.

PS- Not sure of the accuracy of the story that was told, but it makes sense and is interesting.

Deerhutner24

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back