What's new

Small Brass Barrel Tap, or some sort of modern deco reproduction

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Joined
Jan 5, 2012
Messages
1,354
Reaction score
3,105
Golden Thread
2
Location
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
2
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yesterday me and my huntin buddy went detecting after work.
He dug a barber quarter and I ended up with about 50 cents in clad. I haven't been finding much lately.
I noticed what looked like a barrel tap in the back of his truck.
I asked him where he dug it and he said he couldn't remember, and he said he thought that it was an old gas valve.

To me it looks like some of the barrel taps that I have dug from the late 18th to early 19th century.
My question is that I have never seen one this small, and wonder what would be the use.
And is it an old barrel tap, or a more modern reproduction.
​
The nozzle part has the part that you would hammer.
I have never seen such a decorative knob on an old barrel tap.
And the part that would insert into a barrel looks somewhat different from what I am used to seeing.

What do you guys think.?
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0392.webp
    IMG_0392.webp
    341.6 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_0391.webp
    IMG_0391.webp
    354.1 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_0390.webp
    IMG_0390.webp
    404.5 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_0394.webp
    IMG_0394.webp
    527.9 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_0389.webp
    IMG_0389.webp
    540.2 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
Just wanted to add a pic of a nice barrel tap that I dug a couple years ago.
Notice the similarities, and the differences.
 

Attachments

  • P8130002.webp
    P8130002.webp
    124 KB · Views: 72
  • P8130001.webp
    P8130001.webp
    126.8 KB · Views: 81
Upvote 0
maybe it goes to a gas light
 
Upvote 0
maybe it goes to a gas light
Most of the gas light valves that I have seen have threads or barbs where the gas exits the valve.​
Looks like a valve that would dispense some type of liquid.
Not sure how this particular design would work with a gas light.

Thanks
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Not a gas valve. Decorative tap of sorts. Wine decanter ?
 
Upvote 0
Wow. Very cool finds.Congrats. I think I'll pop-A-Top on those pics.:thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0
Doesn't look gas related except for the size. I'm thinking it's specialty wine/liquor related possibly some other liquid dispensed in smaller volumes
 
Upvote 0
It sure looks like a liquid dispenser tap of some kind. The upward hook on the top of the spout is made to hold the wire handle of a cup/bucket/pot. Great find! Sub 8-)
 
Upvote 0
Maybe a Bottle Tap also
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom