Small collection dump - old rolls

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, coinmaster Gt Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I stopped by a branch I hadn't been to Ina long time and asked for halves and cwr. The manager came out behind the counter and asked if I collect. I explained I do and how I put together albums and such.

He said he'd been saving some old rolls for someone who collects and I said I'd happily take them off his hands. He comes back with some nickel and cent rolls (honestly I was hoping for more) but gladly took what he brought out. A kid apparently brought in some of his grandpas old collection.

The kid knew what he was doing, or likely kept what was more valuable... But what he dropped off I thought was worth posting. The nickel and cent rolls are all BU rolls from the 60s.

Nickels
2 rolls of '67
1 roll of '64, '69, '63
1 roll still crimped - unknown year (both ends reverse)

Cents
1 roll '59d
1 roll '64d
4 rolls still crimped - '61, '62, '63, and one unknown year (both ends reverse)

Most of rolls seemed to originate in the Colorado area... Any of you know if these banks are still around? I'm in the Seattle area so they traveled a good distance to get here.

Also what would you guys do. I'm for sure holding onto them for a bit... But not sure what I'm going to do with a few hundred BU nickels and cents.

Here are some pics
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Upvote 0

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Besides the coins themselves, it was very thoughtful of the bank mgr to hold them, and to find a person that collects.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Very nice buy.Congrats

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
You can try and flip them on eBay, but if you figure the face value plus the 15% in fees, you'll likely at most break even. Is it worth it to break even? I wouldn't bother. So now, you have to ask yourself what is the upside? Are you going to sit on unopened rolls for 20 years and hope that there is a resurgence in collector desire for nickels and cents from the 60's? Even if there is an uptick in value, it will likely be a minimal return on the wait.

I would just hunt the rolls. Look for the Full Steps. Look for RPMs. Look for errors. Fill out/upgrade the albums and dump the rest.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I save all pennies '81 and before. Copper!!!

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
I save all pennies '81 and before. Copper!!!

I do too. And I don't know why. Been doing it for years and can't wait to get rid of them. Today, I tossed 2 more coppers in the bucket all the while shaking my head asking myself why I can't stop. It is a sick compulsion that I somehow can't stop. I also have buckets of the crap that I can't sell.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I save coppers too, why, DONT KNOW WHY, just like a compulsive gambler.

OP
OP
Zomotion

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can try and flip them on eBay, but if you figure the face value plus the 15% in fees, you'll likely at most break even. Is it worth it to break even? I wouldn't bother. So now, you have to ask yourself what is the upside? Are you going to sit on unopened rolls for 20 years and hope that there is a resurgence in collector desire for nickels and cents from the 60's? Even if there is an uptick in value, it will likely be a minimal return on the wait.

I would just hunt the rolls. Look for the Full Steps. Look for RPMs. Look for errors. Fill out/upgrade the albums and dump the rest.

Diver - this is what I was leaning towards. Definitely upgrading the albums. Thought I'd might try offer up and avoid fees, see if I get any hits. I've met a guy thru offer up that buys the half dollar proofs I find and he's a cent hunter too, figured I can use these for trade.

I'll for sure keep that unopened nickel roll. It just is too cool to crack open... It's survived probably 50 plus years without being opened... Who am I to break that streak :thumbsup:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree with Diver Down but would add to try to determine if any of the Cents are at least MS-67 Reds and if any of the Nickels are MS-69 with Full Steps. These are the ones that are worth the cost of certification and grading and fetch big bucks.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it was very thoughtful of the bank mgr to hold them, and to find a person that collects.
The teller at my main bank where I get half boxes collects too. She even asked me if I hunt for silver. I said yes, but mostly look for coins I need. (I didn't say I need all the silver coins I can find) She told me she looks for coins for her grandchildren. That told me she really doesn't know much about coins or she was pulling a CRH trick on me. A few weeks ago I picked up two boxes of 2017 mint state halves. I brought in a roll for her and told her it came out of the boxes she gave me. She was thrilled.

OP
OP
Zomotion

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All the nickels I believe to be in mint state possibly, However they are all much like the pick I posted of the end of the nickel roll - uncirculated but with details missing specifically on the reverse/steps.

Huntsman, or anyone who knows - I've always thought that this was caused just from die wear, details gradually disappearing/wearing down over time... Especially in the '64 where over 2 billion were minted. Is this correct?

If so... Would these ms coins ever hit a 67, 68, 69 if they lack these details?

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
All the nickels I believe to be in mint state possibly, However they are all much like the pick I posted of the end of the nickel roll - uncirculated but with details missing specifically on the reverse/steps.

Huntsman, or anyone who knows - I've always thought that this was caused just from die wear, details gradually disappearing/wearing down over time... Especially in the '64 where over 2 billion were minted. Is this correct?

If so... Would these ms coins ever hit a 67, 68, 69 if they lack these details?

First, generally to find certain coins and especially Nickels in rolls or bags now, some 50 years after they were minted that would meet MS-67, MS-68 and MS-69 grading standards is almost unheard of. There were likely quite a few found probably shortly after they were minted but later, the others that met the same grading standards, likely came from collections and tucked away Mint Sets. There were definitely quite a few MS-67 and MS-68 coins found that were certified and graded early on, otherwise the values would be higher for coins that met these standards. Very few Nickels ever met the MS-69 grading standard and thus the much higher values. Now to answer your actual question, you are correct that it seems or at least from what I have seen, Die wear was likely responsible for the lack of high grade Nickels back then and Die maintenance was apparently lacking back then as well. We were in the height of the Vietnam War in the mid to late 1960's with so much protesting, grief from family members and other soldiers killed and being caught up in it all, that it seems that Quality Control lacked. Also, everyone was still in shock over the assassination of President Kennedy.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions