small dollars produce big results

Check the Grant dollars for a die crack that runs the bottom of the left eye (as you are looking at the obverse). It is known as a black-eye Grant.

Not many search through the small dollars, but there are definitely keepers for those with patience.

mdockter said:
All hail the Godless Washington.

How many small dollars did you go through to get to that one?

i never got small dollars before so just 8 rolls ;D

Diver_Down said:
Check the Grant dollars for a die crack that runs the bottom of the left eye (as you are looking at the obverse). It is known as a black-eye Grant.

Not many search through the small dollars, but there are definitely keepers for those with patience.

how much are they worth

franklin half said:
Diver_Down said:

how much are they worth...

... Only what someone is willing to pay for them. It has just been reported (front page) of the latest Numismatic News. If you could flip them early on eBay before other sellers, than you might earn a premium.

I am not up to price on errors, but in good mint shape I am sure you can easily fetch $50 for it, maybe even $75! Good job! I used to purchase presidential dollar coins from the banks hoping for the error, but gave up as my area became flooded with these coins.

At first, my bank in 2007-2008 had between $1-$10 at a time, but lately they have been having 4-5x $25 rolls!!! It dissapoints me, when I went to a vending machine that accepted a $5 bill, I was expecting back 16 quarters because my purchase was $1, and only gave me back 4 coins, I was mad and dissapointed thinking I got ripped off, but i actually got 4 presidential/saq dollars. ODD, NEVER KNEW VENDING MACHINES DEALED WITH DOLLAR COINS.(shows how many there are out there :dontknow: )

HH!

BuffaloBoy said:
ODD, NEVER KNEW VENDING MACHINES DEALED WITH DOLLAR COINS.(shows how many there are out there :dontknow: )

HH!

Here's a history lesson for you. Look at the mintages of the Susan B. Anthony dollar. Notice the anomaly? 1999. Why would the government begin cranking out Susie B after such a long lapse? Pressure from the vending machine lobby. They wanted more dollar coins, but the Sacagawea design was not available yet even though the legistlation was approved for the new design. So the Mint had to dust off Susie B one last time and press her into duty.

nice to know, I thought they cancelled the suzan b anthony dollars because people were mistaking them for quarters thus the golden dollar was made?

That's pretty much exactly it, except after 18 years demand for dollar coins finally used up the back inventory of SBA dollars just before the new ones were ready. IMO, they should have said "sorry" to the people ordering dollar coins until the new one was ready. The Agony dollar has to be the worst designed coin in history and the world didn't need more of them.

captainfwiffo said:
That's pretty much exactly it, except after 18 years demand for dollar coins finally used up the back inventory of SBA dollars just before the new ones were ready. IMO, they should have said "sorry" to the people ordering dollar coins until the new one was ready. The Agony dollar has to be the worst designed coin in history and the world didn't need more of them.

To each their own. I always like scouring proof sets for Type 2 Susie proofs, and finding high grade wide-rim '79P's are a reward unto themselves. The 1999 Susie proof is also a nice coin.

conpewter said:
Didn't they have to make new dies for the 1999 SBA? I had heard that they couldn't find the old ones.

Perhaps. It wouldn't surprise me. Case in point: The 2009 Lincoln cents that were made for mint sets. They made the coins in the original bronze composition as the 1909 cent. They had problems in that the coins were tarnishing prematurely in the sets. After striking, they treat the coins for the sets. Their problem was that they didn't know how to treat the bronze coins. They have been cranking out zincolns for so long that all the old timers that knew how had retired.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back