What's new

Small Eagle Button

FortBedfordbob

Hero Member
Joined
Dec 25, 2007
Messages
862
Reaction score
7
Golden Thread
0
Location
Bedford Pa
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, GPX 5000
Howdy, I'm posting this for Mach 1 Pilot. For some reason he finds buttons I can't find in Albert's Book. This Little puppy is a 2 piecer, 14mm ??? Any idea's ? Thanks from the Both of us, Bob
 

Attachments

  • 1807 010.webp
    1807 010.webp
    24.7 KB · Views: 356
  • 1807 011.webp
    1807 011.webp
    35.3 KB · Views: 344
  • 1807 009.webp
    1807 009.webp
    16.1 KB · Views: 342
Cool find. I've been fooling with civil war and earlier buttons for a long time and don't remember seeing any exactly like this. It looks like an earlier type eagle so I was thinking it could be an early militia or US diplomatic type button but there is also a chance it could be a CS staff. I've looked in the several button books I have and could not find any like it
I hope someone can ID this one for you.
 
Upvote 0
Thanks to Bob for posting this! His photographic skils are way ahead of mine... :wink:

This button was found about 20 feet from the button I posted a few weeks ago...

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,276828.0.html

When I saw this one I started to think perhaps the entire jacket of buttons may be at the site but with both having broken shanks its probably unlikely. Won't stop me from looking, though! ;D

I've attached the pictures of the other button found before this one.

Thanks for your help!
 

Attachments

  • button front.webp
    button front.webp
    13.1 KB · Views: 342
  • button back.webp
    button back.webp
    14.9 KB · Views: 353
  • button front.webp
    button front.webp
    13.1 KB · Views: 340
  • button back.webp
    button back.webp
    14.9 KB · Views: 342
Upvote 0
I think your button is Kepi or collar
 
Upvote 0
vayank54 said:
Cool find. I've been fooling with civil war and earlier buttons for a long time and don't remember seeing any exactly like this. It looks like an earlier type eagle so I was thinking it could be an early militia or US diplomatic type button but there is also a chance it could be a CS staff. I've looked in the several button books I have and could not find any like it
I hope someone can ID this one for you.

Thanks vayank
 
Upvote 0
I know very little, but definately looks pre-CW to me :icon_thumright:
 
Upvote 0
CRUSADER said:
I know very little, but definately looks pre-CW to me :icon_thumright:
I agree,but thats all the help I am!! :-\
 
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
Im not good on old buttons but is this close to it?
I dont think so :icon_scratch:
 
Upvote 0
I sent William Leigh pics of the button and this is what he said " I think the button is a militia or early army officers epaulet tab button." Trust me if William isn't sure there aren't many people who will be and if he hasn't seen one it is scarce.
 
Upvote 0
My opinion would be early Malitia button.
I believe that 2 piece buttons did not come into use until around 1840's ?
before this almost all buttons were one piece.
We did a lot of detecting in Spain on Napoleonic battle sites and all the buttons dug were
one piece... that was 1805 - 1815 time period.
But definitely pre Civil War....
 
Upvote 0
Are there 11 stars? Does the shield have "C.S." stamped in? It bears a resemblance to Tice CS225As1 (There is no photo in the Tice book, but the larger version (22mm) is pictured.) CS225As1 is 14mm.

The droop wing style is usually pre-CW, but the button is two-piece, so it can't be really early.

It also bears a resemblance to the little Jacksonian eagles of the 1820s.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Small Eagle Button Better Pics

BuckleBoy said:
Are there 11 stars? Does the shield have "C.S." stamped in? It bears a resemblance to Tice CS225As1 (There is no photo in the Tice book, but the larger version (22mm) is pictured.) CS225As1 is 14mm.

The droop wing style is usually pre-CW, but the button is two-piece, so it can't be really early.

It also bears a resemblance to the little Jacksonian eagles of the 1820s.

Thanks Buckles

Used a Different Camera for these pics. I count 9 stars from about the 11 oclock position to 5 oclock. So there is probably more than 11. I can't really make out anything on the Shield. May have something there. I don't think anymore cleaning would really help, but then it's not my Button.
 

Attachments

  • keithsbutton 003.webp
    keithsbutton 003.webp
    43.4 KB · Views: 186
  • keithsbutton 004.webp
    keithsbutton 004.webp
    62.4 KB · Views: 189
Upvote 0
Sorry for the slow reply....

BuckleBoy said:
Are there 11 stars? Does the shield have "C.S." stamped in? It bears a resemblance to Tice CS225As1 (There is no photo in the Tice book, but the larger version (22mm) is pictured.) CS225As1 is 14mm.

The droop wing style is usually pre-CW, but the button is two-piece, so it can't be really early.

It also bears a resemblance to the little Jacksonian eagles of the 1820s.


When it was here I thought I counted 15 stars, but really that was unclear. I'm afraid to clean it any further, at least for now.

TORRERO said:
My opinion would be early Malitia button.
I believe that 2 piece buttons did not come into use until around 1840's ?
before this almost all buttons were one piece.
We did a lot of detecting in Spain on Napoleonic battle sites and all the buttons dug were
one piece... that was 1805 - 1815 time period.
But definitely pre Civil War....

Thanks Torrero. :)

vayank54 said:
I sent William Leigh pics of the button and this is what he said " I think the button is a militia or early army officers epaulet tab button." Trust me if William isn't sure there aren't many people who will be and if he hasn't seen one it is scarce.

Thanks vayank for checking with Mr. Leigh about this button. :icon_thumright:

Thanks to Bob for posting the revised picture! :)
 
Upvote 0
You're welcome. I was hoping William would say it was a CS staff but it is probably what he says. But hey he could be wrong but don't tell him I said that ha ha
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Replies
12
Views
1K
  • Question Question
🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Pewter eagle button
Replies
1
Views
493

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom