Small OLD GOLD ring today, 5 buffs, Shield nickel, and other fun stuff.

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
Got out to a local park today - actually took off from work to go.
Started with a 1913 Barber dime, and 10 minutes later dug a low tone. This
is what popped out!
Any idea what the inital is? Looks like an R or a K

It weighs 1.5 grams, but for a mark it has what looks like an
angled anchor, then the letter "K" anyone know what it means?

Pretty much dug all of the low tones if it was solid enough and deep. Quite a surprise
to see a shield nickel! Can't realy read the date, and it looks close enough to
1870, so that'll work.

Here's the breakout of today's haul:

-Old Gold Child's signet ring
-1913 Barber Dime (got a barber dime yesterday too)
-1945 Merc
-gold plated ring
-1870? Shield Nickel
-1 entirely blank nickel - calling it a V so I can call it a trifecta! (got 5 V nickels yesterday)
-5 Buffalo nickels - dateless, 1936, 36, 36, 37 (got 4 buffalos yesterday)
(guess 1936 was a good year)
-4 Indian Head Cents - 1861?, 1864, 1908, dateless (got 2 IHCs yesterday)
-2 older one piece flat buttons
-clay marble?
-3 wheat cents (got 10 yesterday)

Can't take any more days off this week, so will be heading back this weekend. HH all!

Attachments

• July 30, 2012 button.JPG
    July 30, 2012 button.JPG
    577.9 KB · Views: 210
  • July 30, 2012  (1).jpg
    July 30, 2012 (1).jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 158
  • July 30, 2012  (23).JPG
    July 30, 2012 (23).JPG
    692.9 KB · Views: 211
  • July 30, 2012  (25).JPG
    July 30, 2012 (25).JPG
    715.7 KB · Views: 234
Upvote 2
Nice variety of coins. The ground isn't very kind to the coins.

testing123 said:
Now I remember why I don't post finds here anymore.

So how come? Not enough responses for you? I don't matter. It does not change what you found. Certainly better finds then a lot of stuff I have seen posted here. Don't get your feelings hurt be cause its not about being popular or who gets the most replies. If twenty people do the typical response like "nice finds" what will that change about you posting here.

I have never found that many buffalo nickels in one hunt

Last edited:
LOve that ring! And, the merc and indians and barber are not so bad either! (; :icon_thumleft:

So how come? Not enough responses for you? I don't matter. It does not change what you found. Certainly better finds then a lot of stuff I have seen posted here. Don't get your feelings hurt be cause its not about being popular or who gets the most replies. If twenty people do the typical response like "nice finds" what will that change about you posting here.

I have never found that many buffalo nickels in one hunt

You know what... You're right. I apologize for being Mr Grumpy this morning. An thanks for replying!

The ground certainly isn't kind to cents and nickels haha

Someone IDed the karat stamp on the What's It forum. Looks to date from 1887 to 1912. Not too bad!!

One heck of a day I'd say. Do you put up "no metal detecting" signs in that park when your not hunting it!?

One heck of a day I'd say. Do you put up "no metal detecting" signs in that park when your not hunting it!?

Hey, thats a great idea!!! The parks around me are not old enough to find anything of real value unless its gold or silver jewelry. I keep hoping...

Nice finds... I would take a day like that anytime! I see the ground is not nice to nickels where you are too. Both of my shield nickels have non-readable dates.

Nice finds... I would take a day like that anytime! I see the ground is not nice to nickels where you are too. Both of my shield nickels have non-readable dates.

The ground is horrible on nickels and also cents. Everything seems to turn a nice shade of green and it can be pretty thick. On a recent 2¢ piece there was thick corrosion over the date. Ugh what a spot for it haha.

Exellent finds.:icon_thumleft:

When I'm grumpy, I go MD'ing. :laughing7:
I post all my finds regardless. I haven't found any items like, Barber Dime's or Buffalo nickels. Maybe I will some day. The hunt and anticipation, is just as exciting as the find.

You know what... You're right. I apologize for being Mr Grumpy this morning. An thanks for replying!

The ground certainly isn't kind to cents and nickels haha

Someone IDed the karat stamp on the What's It forum. Looks to date from 1887 to 1912. Not too bad!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back