Small round heavy bronze looking ball?

NicoleG

Tenderfoot
Apr 24, 2018
Gaylord, Mi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everybody! My sister gave me this... small, really heavy ball, that for years we have referred to as the cannon ball. She found it back in 2010 in the middle of nowhere Utah. I finally decided to do some research on it, and starting to think it is probably not a canon ball afterwards. Any thoughts on what it could be? It’s only a couple of inches wide and weighs about 2.5 lbs

Attachments

• CDA53980-4650-4C20-903D-F898DA092A40.jpeg
    CDA53980-4650-4C20-903D-F898DA092A40.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 146
  • 217A5805-DCAA-481D-8A34-A482C0AF5BFC.jpeg
    217A5805-DCAA-481D-8A34-A482C0AF5BFC.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 133

mhess22

Apr 24, 2007
Upstate New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
White's Spectra V3i
White's Bullseye TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember my dad having a brass ball like that in his workshop years ago. I can't recall what he said it was for, I feel like it had something to do with a well. I will call him tomorrow when he is up and see if he remembers the one we had.

Upvote 0

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard NicoleG! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forums: Select Your Area.... and selecting location information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country). You might also consider adding your state (or country) to your displayed profile (SETTINGS -> EDIT PROFILE) so if you ask a question, etc. - people may have more success helping you (if necessary)...

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Was it freezing cold when this was found? See any neutered monkeys in the vicinity? :laughing7:

Obviously, I have no idea what it is...

Upvote 0

toddbbq

Apr 13, 2014
Lutz FL
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT-8000, Equinox 800 2x, T-Rex scoop, AT Pro and Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
probably a well Pump check valve ball. It prevented the water from flowing back into the well when the pump was turned off.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
N

NicoleG

Tenderfoot
Apr 24, 2018
Gaylord, Mi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember my dad having a brass ball like that in his workshop years ago. I can't recall what he said it was for, I feel like it had something to do with a well. I will call him tomorrow when he is up and see if he remembers the one we had.

That would be great! My curiosity is peaked!
Funny because both of my parents are in the well industry lol My dad drills water wells.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
N

NicoleG

Tenderfoot
Apr 24, 2018
Gaylord, Mi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have not.. I guess the thought of it possibly being gold never crossed my mind ��

Upvote 0

mhess22

Apr 24, 2007
Upstate New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
White's Spectra V3i
White's Bullseye TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ok, I checked with my father and he said the one that we had came out of an old well pump at a house he was remodeling. It looked a lot like the ball you have there. Hope this helps.

Upvote 0

olroy70

Feb 3, 2011
gainesville, tx
Detector(s) used
Garret 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
actually, a windmill had 2 one on the bottom of the pipe, and one on the end of the sucker rod. usually less than 2" tho. and, I have never seen one broken

Upvote 0

Bruce R

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2016
Shamokin, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Are you certain it’s not a projectile ? It sure looks like it hit something !

Upvote 0
OP
OP
N

NicoleG

Tenderfoot
Apr 24, 2018
Gaylord, Mi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
actually, a windmill had 2 one on the bottom of the pipe, and one on the end of the sucker rod. usually less than 2" tho. and, I have never seen one broken

I’ve tried doing some research on if it could have been in a windmill, but I haven’t seem much online about it. I also just measured it and it is 2.5” in diameter.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
N

NicoleG

Tenderfoot
Apr 24, 2018
Gaylord, Mi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, I checked with my father and he said the one that we had came out of an old well pump at a house he was remodeling. It looked a lot like the ball you have there. Hope this helps.

Thank you so much for following up on that for me! I will look further into this.

Upvote 0

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
something from pier one imports, like back in the 80s with all that sloppy brass casting stuff they had.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
N

NicoleG

Tenderfoot
Apr 24, 2018
Gaylord, Mi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you certain it’s not a projectile ? It sure looks like it hit something !

I’m not sure about anything to be honest lol We always had the same thoughts though based on that damage. It was found near no civilization what so ever

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread