I think what you are thinking is a different color in patina, is polish. All the "thicker" parts and end are polished from use. Are you aware of any preforms that are polished before finishing? Sometimes shadows and angles of pictures make something appear that is not there.
Going by what I see it is quite possibly a hoe I've seen them with the same notches before could of been a multi time period piece say an archaic preform turned into hoe by a woodland indian
Going by what I see it is quite possibly a hoe I've seen them with the same notches before could of been a multi time period piece say an archaic preform turned into hoe by a woodland indian
I agree with mississipian.......... Was field find near Kinkaid Mounds in Southern Illinois ( and I may not even be correct on time periods)...... with property permission
The earliest mound builders were actually archaic to b exact and it went through the Mississippian time periods but I guess the woodland indians were more famous for it ...
The earliest mound builders were actually archaic to b exact and it went through the Mississippian time periods but I guess the woodland indians were more famous for it ...
It was probably longer when they first made it. After it broke a few times and then rechipped it a few times left it the way you see it now. Its still a very nice hoe.
Definitely a Hoe and a pretty nice one. I found some just like yours on sites I hunt here in southern Ohio and northern Kentucky. Mine are all made of what we call Ironstone which is actually Waverly Sandstone and they all have the same polish as yours.
Here's a few of mine and you can see the heavy polish in some of the pics.