Small time coin services

jdp311

Nov 23, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a question about a local bank that always seems to have hand rolled halfs that produce a bunch of 40%.

Are there small time currency providers to smaller banking chains? Something other than your big names like brinks and loomis? Or do you think this is someone turning in halfs that do not know what they have?

I am just wondering because these halfs are always rolled the same and I don't ever see these generic looking wrapers anywhere else. I am like 80% with these rolls with finding at least 2 per roll.

Upvote 0

billionaire

Sep 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just went to the bank today and got $200 in nickels. I found 4 war nickels which is double my average. All the nickels came in what looked like handrolled paper tubes with Block and Company labels. Is this what your talking about

OP
OP
jdp311

jdp311

Nov 23, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No these wrappers are plain Brown and just have $10.00 Dollars written on the side. No company name or anything. Doesn't look like a wrapper any bank hands out or you could buy at the store. Just generic paper sack Brown.

Dark

Aug 6, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not sure, but let me know what bank it is and I will look into it.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
I have a question about a local bank that always seems to have hand rolled halfs that produce a bunch of 40%.

Are there small time currency providers to smaller banking chains? Something other than your big names like brinks and loomis? Or do you think this is someone turning in halfs that do not know what they have?

I am just wondering because these halfs are always rolled the same and I don't ever see these generic looking wrapers anywhere else. I am like 80% with these rolls with finding at least 2 per roll.

I seriously doubt they are from a coin service. Most likely CWR's from someone who is clueless about 40%'s - possibly even a CRH'er. If you're really, really curious, you could ask the bank where these rolls are coming from, but you risk killing the goose that lays the golden, err silver, eggs. My advice is don't ask; just keep collecting the silver.

OP
OP
jdp311

jdp311

Nov 23, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never asked to order coin here I always just take what they have and they usually have $100 per week.

Wondering if this is something they stock from a coin provider or something that is brought in. If it is provided I want to order. Lol but I don't want to burn the connection I already have for being to aggressive.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it sounds like you are talking about CWR's(customer wrapped rolls)... a customer has coins, puts the coins inside of a coin wrapper and turns them into the bank.

OP
OP
jdp311

jdp311

Nov 23, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I had suspicions of that. Everywhere I go always seems to have odds and ends when it comes to wrappers. All different styles. This bank always has the same wrapper and all seem to be new and wrapped very well so it made me wonder if there were small time coin providers other that your major services.

Wilmingtonsilver

Sep 6, 2012
SE North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does the bank have a coin machine? If it is small enough, it could possibly be that the bank rolls its own coins from the coin machine. So you may be getting peoples dumps into the coin machine and the tellers have to roll the coin. Most don't do it anymore, but I have heard of a few.

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I am not sure, but let me know what bank it is and I will look into it.

I thought it was funny Dark. HH,:laughing9: Maverick.

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Are the top and bottom of the rolls folded shut, or do they look like the shot gun rolls ( the end being rolled down sealed but the coin exposed)? HH, Maverick.

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
Yep, there are some smaller banks with few business customers that take the coins from their coin counter (or CWRs) and have the tellers roll it up themselves.

OP
OP
jdp311

jdp311

Nov 23, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are folded down. And I didn't see darks comment. Funny stuff. :)

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
They are folded down. And I didn't see darks comment. Funny stuff. :)

Thanks, I reread the OP again, I missed that the first time, I have a small bank in my area that never orders coins ( except my halves only 2 boxes every 2 weeks) and they roll all their own change there, I used to do really good with their dimes and nickels because they were all technically CWR's, I ended up searching all their boxs though in a few weeks and gave them a break from swapping out boxes for me every week, I found my first Merc and Buff from there and a proof Nickel too. I would definetly just keep your normal routine there, you could just nonshullontly ( spelling) ask, " Soooo, you guys roll these up your selves?" one day and see what they say too. Good luck and keep getting those 40's! HH, Maverick.

Mr. Silver Stash

Mar 3, 2012
The Constitution State
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Bounty Hunter Fast Tracker
Primary Interest:
Other
The tellers probably wrap whatever halves come in loose themselves. They probably are sniping everything pre 1964 and don't know there are 40% halves out there too. I have multiple banks where tellers are handing me loose coins & bank wrapped rolls with 40%'s. It is much easier for them to coin rolled halves at the end of the day. You have a good thing going, sounds like they get halves in frequently and you are getting consistent silver.

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
There are sometimes small, local competitor's to dunbar, brinks, ect for coin delivery. They would be machine rolled and never hand rolled.

OP
OP
jdp311

jdp311

Nov 23, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok. I was just wondering. Guess I will keep doing the regular thing.

OP
OP
jdp311

jdp311

Nov 23, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh and thank you all for your answers. I was just wondering. I guess I should just keep doing what I am doing and averaging 8 40% per 5 rolls.

I just hope it lasts a long while! :)

I think I might mix it up and as for other denominations with the halfs next time I am in to see if there is any luck there too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread