What's new

Smart phone metal detector ??

Bart, I like your idea. I also agree that I would probably never use my phone (or anything else) as a video tool to record my detecting. Some might remember how unbelievable, unimaginable Dick Tracy's wrist radio was. Well here we are talking and texting on our smart watches. My phone can be heard via my hearing aid, my detector on wireless headphones. Don't people invest in carbon fiber shafts and scoop handles to cut down weight. Just imagine that shaft with nothing but the coil on the end of, and what little electronics you might need contained inside the shaft itself. Your phone could be in your pocket. Got a signal, look at you watch. Can't speak to the under water stuff, not my area of knowledge. GO BART!
 
Where does the signal processing take place? Back at wherever the app is running I guess. That gives them access to everything. They know where you are and what your doing. Nope, I hate apps. Apps suck, you don't own anything with an app. I was listening to a program about tech the other night and the issue with you owning donuts with apps came up. They mentioned some book place, it may have been Amazon, where people had payed like $20 for some book. The App place decided that they didn't like something in the book and so deleted it. Everyone was cut off from reading the so called book they brought.
It wasn't until there was an uproar that they had their money refunded.
So I go to a shop say, I buy a coil and shaft and transmitter and then pay for an app. I then need Internet access wherever I want to hunt. For me im probably looking at 50% phone coverage on gold. Some of that 50% for me in my areas in the bush will be dependent on hills and terrain which can get cut outs regularly.
The idea I am sure will eventuate one day, apps are huge money spinners, big return for no product. Big con as far as im concerned though. If I can't hold it then I don't own it.
Even if one was released with zero coverage issues id never pay for it.
The idea though is 24k gold for app rip off geeks.
 
As a YouTube content consumer, I think you should figure out how to link several cameras together so they all have the same timestamp. I want to be able to watch you really find treasure - NO “reality” recreation.

Keep thinking. You never know, someone in the industry might be listening, or maybe an industrious individual might cobble something together.
 
Not to throw a wet towel on this, but I cannot think of a single reason I would want a video of the ground sliding left and right of my coil! I also wouldn’t want my phone constantly being set down in the dust/mud/brush. My dirty fingers rubbed all over the screen.
I also wouldn't want my wife to know where I found all the money
 
It is indeed a possibility..... but we must remember, as XP have proven with their recent products,, the tech is the coil,, the decoder box just gives us a visual/audio interpretation of the data from the coil.... So the higher tech levels of smart phones could indeed give a slight improvement in displays , visual, AI suggestions, audio and even animated,, but the data from the coil is the key .... So even though the overall product would be more polished,,, the end product (ability to find) would be relatively unchanged...
Remember the real ability of the machine is determined by how much power/energy it can send into the ground,, and this has been limited by regulations since forever.... this limitation is what is stopping detectors from taking leaps and bounds forwards (in depth and such) the only advancements we see are the relatively minor 'upgrades' in discrimination, frequencies, recovery speed, ground balance etc... these are all really just nonsense gadgets to keep selling machines,, ... My ancient Garrett ACE 250i still detects everything that my Equinox and Legend find,, maybe slower and less pleasing on the ears, but ultimately it is 70's tech.... or older ? ..
Until the regulations allow for more power to be generated and fed to the coils,, the rest is just marketing and window dressing.
AstralDruid.
 
A guy I know has a cane unit with a one inch head/coil that works with a phone. Claims it goes very deep. I think he said it's German. He paid $10000. For it. I was not impressed with his findings. I
 
It is indeed a possibility..... but we must remember, as XP have proven with their recent products,, the tech is the coil,, the decoder box just gives us a visual/audio interpretation of the data from the coil.... So the higher tech levels of smart phones could indeed give a slight improvement in displays , visual, AI suggestions, audio and even animated,, but the data from the coil is the key .... So even though the overall product would be more polished,,, the end product (ability to find) would be relatively unchanged...
Remember the real ability of the machine is determined by how much power/energy it can send into the ground,, and this has been limited by regulations since forever.... this limitation is what is stopping detectors from taking leaps and bounds forwards (in depth and such) the only advancements we see are the relatively minor 'upgrades' in discrimination, frequencies, recovery speed, ground balance etc... these are all really just nonsense gadgets to keep selling machines,, ... My ancient Garrett ACE 250i still detects everything that my Equinox and Legend find,, maybe slower and less pleasing on the ears, but ultimately it is 70's tech.... or older ? ..
Until the regulations allow for more power to be generated and fed to the coils,, the rest is just marketing and window dressing.
AstralDruid.
I was not aware of these regulations. Can you give a dumbed down summary, please? Are these US regulations only?
 
If you could pump significantly more “power” through the coil and see significant increases in depth, there would already be a large number of custom build services. I suspect ground mineralization is the limiting factor. It’s likely like shining a brighter light into a mirror expecting to see more.
 
No idea is stupid. I’d like the ability to strap my phone into a case that is strapped on the shaft and using the inertial sensors get a real time coverage map showing where I may have missed some spots.

I think you will see these types of features built into detectors before people will move to the interface being a smart phone. My detector has an LED light built in that shines down on the coil. I thought that was pretty neat.
If you were to wait for these type of features to come out from the company's that currently design and sell metal detectors it might take multiple decades to produce just a few of the features that a smart phone could offer right now. Forget about pictures and videos if thats not "your" thing. In today's world more people would use those functions than not....its just the way of the future....everything is filmed and photographed for many different reasons including showing our friends here on t-net our finds....I would wager that 99% of all photographed finds here on t-net come from smart phones....many of these photos are of finds on the ground, in hand, or in situ. The phone is already being used in conjunction with detecting in more cases than not. The only difference is the phone could function as a control pod that communicates with your coil via a simple software application "APP" the same principle is being used for updating your machines now....software updates !!
 
Where does the signal processing take place? Back at wherever the app is running I guess. That gives them access to everything. They know where you are and what your doing. Nope, I hate apps. Apps suck, you don't own anything with an app. I was listening to a program about tech the other night and the issue with you owning donuts with apps came up. They mentioned some book place, it may have been Amazon, where people had payed like $20 for some book. The App place decided that they didn't like something in the book and so deleted it. Everyone was cut off from reading the so called book they brought.
It wasn't until there was an uproar that they had their money refunded.
So I go to a shop say, I buy a coil and shaft and transmitter and then pay for an app. I then need Internet access wherever I want to hunt. For me im probably looking at 50% phone coverage on gold. Some of that 50% for me in my areas in the bush will be dependent on hills and terrain which can get cut outs regularly.
The idea I am sure will eventuate one day, apps are huge money spinners, big return for no product. Big con as far as im concerned though. If I can't hold it then I don't own it.
Even if one was released with zero coverage issues id never pay for it.
The idea though is 24k gold for app rip off geeks.
Signal processing takes place in your phone just like it does on your detectors....software applications known as "APPS", are downloaded just like metal detectors getting the latest update. Apps can be installed and uninstalled at will .... your phone service has nothing g to do with this, and you dont need internet service to run a detector. Its just a matter of compatibility of software with phone and coil....whether its hard wired, or Bluetooth.....the only thing keeping my phone from picking up the Bluetooth signal from the deus coil is software compatibility....the software application has not been developed because your deus control module would not be necessary anymore, and a phone could do the same thing. The tech is already here !! Will it happen ? Who knows....I think it will eventually.
 
It is indeed a possibility..... but we must remember, as XP have proven with their recent products,, the tech is the coil,, the decoder box just gives us a visual/audio interpretation of the data from the coil.... So the higher tech levels of smart phones could indeed give a slight improvement in displays , visual, AI suggestions, audio and even animated,, but the data from the coil is the key .... So even though the overall product would be more polished,,, the end product (ability to find) would be relatively unchanged...
Remember the real ability of the machine is determined by how much power/energy it can send into the ground,, and this has been limited by regulations since forever.... this limitation is what is stopping detectors from taking leaps and bounds forwards (in depth and such) the only advancements we see are the relatively minor 'upgrades' in discrimination, frequencies, recovery speed, ground balance etc... these are all really just nonsense gadgets to keep selling machines,, ... My ancient Garrett ACE 250i still detects everything that my Equinox and Legend find,, maybe slower and less pleasing on the ears, but ultimately it is 70's tech.... or older ? ..
Until the regulations allow for more power to be generated and fed to the coils,, the rest is just marketing and window dressing.
AstralDruid.
💯👌🫡
 
A guy I know has a cane unit with a one inch head/coil that works with a phone. Claims it goes very deep. I think he said it's German. He paid $10000. For it. I was not impressed with his findings. I
Yup...the tech is out there, and its very possible it changes metal detecting in the future ? Not sure if it would hurt or help the big .metal detecting companies? I can see the big apple and android companies making money from the app store and advertising, and the big MD companies could make coil set ups and just charge more for them....not really sure how it would shake up the industry?
 
For those worried about tracking phones, and people spying on you i just have to laugh !! Who are they ? Is there some guy standing by a jet at the CIA ready to board it and track my signal to some beach and come and dig next to me ? Because if thats the case I would love for this to happen....maybe i could film this with my phone !! 😅🤣😂🤫🤫

The fact of the matter is most of the people ive invited, or even those that figured out some of my spots have not found much....the grass is not greener here....its how hard you work for it wherever you hunt !! More people have figured out where i hunt from t-net than anywhere else including tracking of my phone 😅🤣🤣
 
Or maybe an update to the remote giving it phone capabilities.
This is where I think there is deception from big tech....if they allow there coil to communicate with a phone through Bluetooth app, then there is no need for me to purchase the control unit....this would mean a huge monetary loss for the MD companies.....we all have a phone already, so I only need a coil and shaft....this saves me money, but cost the MD companies huge losses....no one needs a control unit now !!
 
I still cannot think of a reason I would want a video of me digging a hole? I COULD see how a YouTuber might want that. ;)

Slow motion play back of a pick nicking the edge of a rare Gold coin.
Reverse picture screen and take beautiful picture of your self holding bucklist find for your treasure net friends ... !!
 
A guy I know has a cane unit with a one inch head/coil that works with a phone. Claims it goes very deep. I think he said it's German. He paid $10000. For it. I was not impressed with his findings. I
Big Merve over at NYC detectors explained the power output in a video a few years back... i believed it..
 
Sorry Merrill at NYC MD...
only tuber i look at, bit XP pushy but at least he has a sense of humour ...:cat:
 




less than -30dBm

this is the amount of firepower that a detector can produce and still be legal.
All detectors are governed by the same regulations.
So,, the machines are kept below this level of radiation emission (for user safety apparently) , thus limiting their ability... Bigger coils, faster separation, sensitivity, etc etc .... are all just done by the processor, so these are the only gimmicks that companies can play around with,, perhaps producing some minor improvements in user friendliness but no real world power advantages...
Them's the rules,, i don't make them.. and neither do XP or Minelab

AD
 
Last edited:
So...why hasn't this happened yet ?? And how easy could this be ?

What if you had a coil on a shaft, that had a docking port for your smartphone !! You could down load an app that had the proper software to decipher your coil readings, and then use your smart phone as the control pod !! Im pretty sure (not certain) that the i phone or android would have 10 times the computing power of a metaldetector control pod, and probably be able to record video, and take pictures while you detected. The ramifications of something like this are vast....this would upend the entire metaldetecting industry, and change the hobby forever. This has to be possible in today's day and age....what do you guys think ?View attachment 2223725View attachment 2223726View attachment 2223727
If they can develop an app, that can read a resonating frequency, than yes, why not.
I already learned how to change the frequency of my cell phone to any frequency I want.
And multiple compatible Frequencies can be ran at the same time.
It doesn't need to be put on the ground, I just carry it in my pocket.
But, they haven't figured an electronic way to indicate a frequency in an app yet, like Dowsing rods indicate..
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom