What's new

Smart phone metal detector ??

If I could afford the lab time, I'd love to get a detector in a proper chamber and see what it's really
putting out in terms of power. Also, it would be a good time to see how susceptible it is
to RF/Microwave interference.
Mike, next time I test a detector at CKC Labs I'll shoot you an invite, you're not far away.
 
Neat in concept, but probably not feasible in action. The phone antenna/signal will likely interfere with the magnetic field of the coil... as well as the signals that you're now trying to pass through the phone. Realistically, the most you're looking going to get is maybe Wireless Updating through your phone in future updated machines (😉), and possibly some GPS locational data apps (similar to what XP is doing) and maybe photo/video capabilities. Then there's the conflict of ensuring that lower-end phones on the market is powerful enough to do those things. Personally, I'd rather keep the two separate. 🤷🏽‍♂️

Bran <><
 
I'm not sure how they would be using a frequency, I doubt their registering Quantum frequency resonation..
If I change my cell phones frequency, the new frequency is overriding the cell phones, thus eliminating it.
Interference would come from other sources, like antenna or towers or close running metal detectors..
 
Mike, next time I test a detector at CKC Labs I'll shoot you an invite, you're not far away.

Small world. I used to know all the folks at CKC, but that was some 25 years ago.
I presume you're talking about in Canyon Park?
 
Neat in concept, but probably not feasible in action. The phone antenna/signal will likely interfere with the magnetic field of the coil... as well as the signals that you're now trying to pass through the phone. Realistically, the most you're looking going to get is maybe Wireless Updating through your phone in future updated machines (😉), and possibly some GPS locational data apps (similar to what XP is doing) and maybe photo/video capabilities. Then there's the conflict of ensuring that lower-end phones on the market is powerful enough to do those things. Personally, I'd rather keep the two separate. 🤷🏽‍♂️

Bran <><
Post in thread 'Smart phone metal detector ??' https://www.treasurenet.com/threads/smart-phone-metal-detector.713699/post-7363056 its already out, and will probably only progress in its development. It seems all the concerns here have been addressed. We will see where the tech goes ? I would definitely be open to trying it out....seems like alot of resistance to the idea....this is always the case with new tech....no one believes it can be done, people resist change, and its much like other technologies....as it develops, and gets easier and better with each iteration minds change....people still use detectors from the 80s, and have not so smart flip phones. That's fine too !! I have an old whites coinmaster.....its a wall hanger....no question that my eqx is far superior. Doesn't look like this tech has matured to the point of mass production, but it will certainly get better.
 
Alot of times here people dont read the entire thread....if you read the entire thread, you will see that its already on the market and is available. The debate about whether it can or cant work has already been answered. im not gonna buy it yet, because I believe there will be many different iterations of this concept, and will take a few more years to mature. But the concept has been proven to work with the "Quest Air" model of detector.
 
Post in thread 'Smart phone metal detector ??' https://www.treasurenet.com/threads/smart-phone-metal-detector.713699/post-7363056 its already out, and will probably only progress in its development. It seems all the concerns here have been addressed. We will see where the tech goes ? I would definitely be open to trying it out....seems like alot of resistance to the idea....this is always the case with new tech....no one believes it can be done, people resist change, and its much like other technologies....as it develops, and gets easier and better with each iteration minds change....people still use detectors from the 80s, and have not so smart flip phones. That's fine too !! I have an old whites coinmaster.....its a wall hanger....no question that my eqx is far superior. Doesn't look like this tech has matured to the point of mass production, but it will certainly get better.
I would bet that the electronics for the detector itself is not the phone... but rather, in the handle of that Quest detector. It's likely just using the phone as a display. I'm not saying the concept isn't cool... it for sure is. I represent Nokta Detectors as one of their Nomads. While the company has several new machines in the works at the moment, none of them likely incorporate our phones in that capacity. I'm not saying that it will not, or could not ever come to fruition... I just don't see it happening at this moment in time. Quest definitely creates some cool ideas with their detectors, even though I believe another major manufacturer has completely (legally) black balled them from selling their Multi-Frequency machines here in the US. That's sad, really, as creativity & competition both only foster a more healthy industry.

Bran <><
 
I would bet that the electronics for the detector itself is not the phone... but rather, in the handle of that Quest detector. It's likely just using the phone as a display. I'm not saying the concept isn't cool... it for sure is. I represent Nokta Detectors as one of their Nomads. While the company has several new machines in the works at the moment, none of them likely incorporate our phones in that capacity. I'm not saying that it will not, or could not ever come to fruition... I just don't see it happening at this moment in time. Quest definitely creates some cool ideas with their detectors, even though another major manufacturer has completely (legally) black balled them from selling their machines here in the US. That's sad, really, as creativity & competition both only foster a more healthy industry.

Bran <><
Screenshot_20250911_091015_Samsung Internet.webp
Screenshot_20250911_090959_Samsung Internet.webp

Im not sure why im explaining what can be read, but there is a battery in the rod that powers the coil, and the phone is the controller via Bluetooth signal much like the deus !! I think...but am not sure, an app would be used on your phone (any phone) to communicate with the coil and decipher the signals. So not to difficult in concept, and really just like the deus. The deus remote could easily be swapped out for a phone....deus would naturally not want this tech, as it would eliminate the need for a remote altogether.....like the quest. So the deus remains locked from being able to be discoverable by your phone....this is just a software app problem. I have no idea about quest coils and how dependable they are, or how well they work....probably the quality of deus and minelab would be better ?
 
Likewise if im using the phone to change settings, its a controller directly used to tune the machine. And a display also.
 
Don't know if this still applies in this age, but there was a time when a product
built to do a bunch of different things might be efficient at them, but certainly not
on the high end of performance.

A product designed and built to perform a single function should be far superior
in performance.

JMHO...
umn.gif
 
Don't know if this still applies in this age, but there was a time when a product
built to do a bunch of different things might be efficient at them, but certainly not
on the high end of performance.

A product designed and built to perform a single function should be far superior
in performance.

JMHO...View attachment 2224765
Yeah....it is surly not gonna do what I need underwater, but its pretty cool idea 😎....im almost always underwater but quick, on the fly, backpack machine for wet/dry sand and light bush/park/field machine!! Might be cool ? I wonder 🤔 where it will go ?
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom