smelting gold from sand?

22k gold melts at about 1945 degrees F. Your furnace was set at 1600 degrees F so it cant be 22k gold.

When smelting black sands to get the gold using flux you need about 30% gold or a collector metal.

If your test showed 22k you know how much gold you have so why send a sample to anyone?

22k gold is 91.3% pure gold so 18 oz of 22k = 16.43oz of 24k

Last edited:
The question I would ask is does $5.00 worth of gold with this process cost you $7.50 in energy and labor?

22k gold melts at about 1945 degrees F. Your furnace was set at 1600 degrees F so it cant be 22k gold.

When smelting black sands to get the gold using flux you need about 30% gold or a collector metal.

If your test showed 22k you know how much gold you have so why send a sample to anyone?

22k gold is 91.3% pure gold so 18 oz of 22k = 16.43oz of 24k

I believe Chlsbrns is correct. If you're only hitting 1650F you're not melting 22K gold. And as someone else mentioned, if it tested at 22K then there would be no need for further analysis. Pictures might be helpful. I hope I'm wrong. Good luck!

the gold in the sample he tested, tested at 22k and held. the problem is there is other stuff mixed in with it. he sent 9.9ctw to the people who melt their gold & i still haven't heard back from them. so if i get a crucible, borax, and mapp gas and melt it down myself, how do i remove the other stuff?

Well, Igot the report back and the 22k was a false positive. seems what i had was 63% iron, 35% nickle, and a bunch of other metals at .2%, .3% etc. No meltable gold, so what i was hoping for didn't "pan" out, so i'm out of here. thanks for the support.

Well, Igot the report back and the 22k was a false positive. seems what i had was 63% iron, 35% nickle, and a bunch of other metals at .2%, .3% etc. No meltable gold, so what i was hoping for didn't "pan" out, so i'm out of here. thanks for the support.

Funny, Ni melts at 2650ish and Iron melts hotter than that. If you couldn't melt gold you surely couldn't have melted Ni and Iron. I wonder how that stuff got in there?

Too bad though, it sounded like apretty sweet deal for you. Employer pays all the costs (including your wages) and all you have to do is collect the good stuff. I hope you are working 3rd shift, that way you wouldn't even have to worry about losing sleep at night over it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back