What's new

Smoking apparatus?(broken pewter military whistle)

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2008
Messages
12,783
Reaction score
143
Golden Thread
0
Location
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I find these on my older sites as we did today. I'm pretty sure it's a smoking device of sorts. Can we get a bit of history and age of the pewter like pieces? Thanks
 

Attachments

  • DSC00003.webp
    DSC00003.webp
    21.9 KB · Views: 402
  • DSC00004.webp
    DSC00004.webp
    28.1 KB · Views: 421
  • DSC00005.webp
    DSC00005.webp
    9.6 KB · Views: 408
Re: Smoking apparatus?

It looks like a piece from a pitch pipe or tuning harp....whatever they are called.
pitchpipe.webp
 
Upvote 0
Re: Smoking apparatus?

4-H said:
Interesting. I wonder why I find them on my rw-cw skirmish sites. Did they use them?
It sure looks similar to a pitch pipe. Maybe to tune their banjos? :dontknow: Blow into it and see if it makes a sound.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Smoking apparatus?

It is obviously the broken tip of a pewter military whistle. I heard this beauty make a sound for the first time in 160+ years last winter.

Nice find! :thumbsup:
 

Attachments

  • Dug February 8 2008.webp
    Dug February 8 2008.webp
    20.6 KB · Views: 342
Upvote 0
Re: Smoking apparatus?

yep it's part of a whistle
 
Upvote 0
Re: Smoking apparatus?

Ahhh whistle makes much more sense. :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0
Re: Smoking apparatus?

4-H said:
Well I'll be. That's a great find Buckles.:thumbsup:

And when you find a complete one, you might be quite surprised at how much they're worth. I was. 8)


Best Wishes,


Buckles
 
Upvote 0
Re: Smoking apparatus?

4-H said:
ok?......How much are they worth Buckles? lol :icon_profileleft:


They frequently sell for $150-$200 or so. 8)
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom