What's new

Snack of Champions?

Digger54

Hero Member
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2010
Messages
659
Reaction score
886
Golden Thread
0
Location
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, Bandido II, Sovereign GT, Fisher1280X, Nautilus DMCIIB, Deus2, Manticore.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Found this today while shopping at a nearby asian store. Could not bring myself to buy it as it looks like it would be like chewing on broken glass. :laughing7:
 

Attachments

  • Manta.webp
    Manta.webp
    1.8 MB · Views: 176
Upvote 7
Yeah, eating bugs isn't real high on my list either.......🤮
 
According to the label they're spicy shrimp..guess they just
look like bugs. Peel the shells, fry 'em up and eat 'em like
popcorn....
popc1.gif
 
Better than half the world eats bugs, all manner of rodents, canines, other really weird flora and fauna, and don't give it a second thought. If this grosses you out, learn what's in most of our prized delicacies. Then, and only then, go ugh!
 
Better than half the world eats bugs, all manner of rodents, canines, other really weird flora and fauna, and don't give it a second thought. If this grosses you out, learn what's in most of our prized delicacies. Then, and only then, go ugh!
and how many insect parts are allowed in processed foods...
 
Those are ready-to-eat snacks, and don't need to be peeled. They're sometimes called 'p*ssing shrimps' because live ones squirt a defensive jet of water when handled.

On my travels in China, I observed all kinds of 'delicacies' but didn't sample all of them. Menu descriptions were often hilariously provided in English by Google translate. Stir-fried 'camel tallow' and deep fried-jellyfish proved to be accurate but I thought 'fish lips' and 'bamboo worms' were probably translation errors. I was wrong on both counts.
 
Precisely!
In my mid teens, I went to Africa with my dad. The porters (as they were known then) continued to eat their usual food stuffs. One of those was the world's largest grub. They're about the size of a large human thumb, and they wiggle! I can tell you the first bite is the hardest of all, but after you make that leap of faith, you'll find out how sweet they are! I don't think I'd like to live on grubs alone, but I'd eat another one just to bring back memories.
 
I can tell you the first bite is the hardest of all, but after you make that leap of faith,

Yes, helping that "leap of faith" is why distilled alcohol was invented....
pint.gif
 
Sorry, but they look like bugs and in my opinion, bugs were not meant to be eaten ( unless you are starving ) !
 
Whatever they are (or aren’t) I’d pre-schedule a trip to the ER 4-6 hours after consumption. With any luck dysentery is all they’ll be treating for.
For me chewing on them would be like running. Hurts like hell while you do it and feels so good when you stop.:laughing7:
 
Sometimes available in Ikea stores over here:

Skum.webp


It's an aerated candy (this one liquorice-based) akin to marshmallow, 'skum' being Swedish for 'foam'.


I also recall being on a Greek island where a taverna menu offered a choice of "chicken spit", "fish spit", "vegetable spit", or "mixed spit".
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom