tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw this guy today crossing the bike path. It didn't seem to happy having to deal with a human with a camera as it made it's way to some rocks to hide. I'm sure it wanted to get across the path quickly due to being in the open where a hawk might spot it. I've seen hawks swoop down and grab these bull snake a few times or you might see a hawk fly by with one in it's talons. They must be good eating to a bird of prey. This snake was maybe around 4 feet long. They're pretty harmless, but will strike at ya if you mess with it.

Attachments

• bike 043018 1.jpg
    bike 043018 1.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 60
  • bike 043018 2.jpg
    bike 043018 2.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 55
  • bike 043018 3.jpg
    bike 043018 3.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 53

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Always good to have around...they keep the rodent pop. in check!

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always good to have around...they keep the rodent pop. in check!
Yeah, they're always welcome when I see them creeping along the foundation of my house. Ever since the county allowed people to keep up to 5 hens in a back yard, the rodents have grown in numbers with the surplus chicken feed being tossed around, so yes these are good snakes to have around.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have three hens in a pen. Spoiled rotten monsters. I was watching them the other day and a small mole snuck up to the pen and grabbed some food, then ran off. If the chickens catch it, it's all over. The chickens will kill and eat a rodent very fast. Mine caught one once, it was a blood bath.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah they do have a craving for blood. If you don't feed em, they'll start eating the weakest of their fellow chicken's.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice pics, as usual, Grant! They call them blow snakes around here. in California they call them gopher snakes. Some other places they call them bull snakes. Very defensive, but non-venomous. They will kill other snakes, along with rodents. As noted by others...good snakes to have around. They're very common in my area.
Jim

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Beautiful snake! We don't have Bull Snakes in the South.

Thanks for the nice pic sir!

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bull snakes are pretty cool, and I've seen them display several responses to a perceived threat. I saw one that raised up and actually flattened its neck in a pretty good cobra imitation. If they're in dry vegetation, they will sometimes start vibrating that tail and it kinda sounds like a rattler. They can play dead. Just cool snakes and good to have around. Growing up, I knew one old farmer who threatened to whup our butts if he ever caught us killin a bull snake. We never did, either.

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
I had a close encounter with a hawk carrying a snake. I was driving my grandma to my house and the windows were down. All of the sudden this hawk comes right at the passenger window. I told my grandma to close her eyes and she did. Man, I though for sure he/she was going to drop it in her lap!

Pretty sweet that you came across the snake. It is a long one!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Grandma would have had a cow! I have never seen that species here. I have twice seen an Eastern Hog Nose snake. Google that baby. Anyway, I was with my daughters eons ago in the Virginia backwoods digging and I saw one about 12" long. I told the kids to stop. I picked up a very small twig and poked the snake gently. VERY gently. It did a "gasp! I'm dying! It got me! Arrggh!" fake death thing for about a minute and then laid real still to fool us. Well, it fooled us and we left it alone. It was quite comical.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I picked up a bull in ND, they do look mean

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The largest bull snake that I caught was a six + footer, when I was in Oklahoma.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice pics, as usual, Grant! They call them blow snakes around here. in California they call them gopher snakes. Some other places they call them bull snakes. Very defensive, but non-venomous. They will kill other snakes, along with rodents. As noted by others...good snakes to have around. They're very common in my area.
Jim
Rat snake is another name I've heard

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The largest bull snake that I caught was a six + footer, when I was in Oklahoma.
I've seen them as big around as a golf ball around here. There for a while they appeared to be falling in numbers around here, but now they seem to be increasing in numbers as I'm seeing babies to ones this size. Gotta be all the chicken feed bringing the rodent population numbers up?. Some places in the Denver metro are seeing increased populations in rats. Maybe I should look into raising these guys so they can be distributed to problem area. The snakes biggest threat around here are the skunks, raccoons and hawks. A fair amount of them also don't understand a busy highway isn't the best place to warm up on in the morning either. You will see a few run over on the roads around here.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions