✅ SOLVED Snap shot of 1940s movie stars Who are they ???

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of the things I like to do is go through the boxes of old photo's found in antique stores. I came across a bunch that had old shots of Washington DC and some were handwritten with a blue ink pen with some info of the photo and a few with the date June 1943. This 5-1/4" x 4" B&W photo is handwritten on the back, "Science Research Lab Anacostia D.C. Movie Stars etc.(no info as to who these people are). I would say the tall fellow 4th from the left-back-row is Jimmy Stewart, but that's just my opinion for now. As for the other people or so called movie stars in the photo, I've no clue just who they are?... I would say the photo was out of a personal collection that someone took of a trip to Washington D.C. in 1943. I also purchsed other photo I liked of D.C. from the collection.

Attachments

• MV STARS 1.jpg
    MV STARS 1.jpg
    681.5 KB · Views: 508
  • MV STARS 2.jpg
    MV STARS 2.jpg
    565.9 KB · Views: 803
  • MV STARS 3.jpg
    MV STARS 3.jpg
    748.2 KB · Views: 393

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After examining Bramble pic and article and Matt's pics, I'm totally confused. Here are some random thoughts:

~ I don't know if our original baldy is James Roosevelt or not. I would love for him to be, but he just doesn't look right for 1942, but people look different in different photos. Sometimes I don't even recognize myself! LOL The pic Bramble provided is dated 1941, and Matt's is an older James. James has a much longer face. He has a longer nose with a downward hook, whereas Orig.Baldy's nose is larger and spread at the end. James also looks younger, thus has darker and more eyebrows. If you look at Matt's comparison photo, the ears are not the same. My son-in-law is 6'4" and stoops in group photos, but he leans over, and doesn't bend straight down at the knees, but that's him, who knows what others do. BUT in the original pic, Orig.Baldy's right shoulder is lower than his left, so he could be stooping & bending at the knees. Well, that is if the green arrow is showing his shoulder, and I think it is.

~ Baldy#2 is not a Roosevelt either according to Bramble's article since they were in service, but both of those men look like Roosevelt sons. They also resemble each other in facial features as well as height.

~ Orig. Baldy & Baldy #2 are wearing the same suit.

Any thoughts on the above???
Breezie
XXHeightofxxMovieStarsClean.jpg xxJamesWife1941.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can't explain it. But the picture pretty much tells the story. That HAS to be Jimmy Roosevelt. The features are the same right down to the tiny double chin.

BTW - the comparison photo is from a 1955 court appearence for Roosevelt's divorce from Romelle Schneider.

:dontknow:

DCMatt

Upvote 0

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can't explain it. But the picture pretty much tells the story. That HAS to be Jimmy Roosevelt. The features are the same right down to the tiny double chin.

BTW - the comparison photo is from a 1955 court appearance for Roosevelt's divorce from Romelle Schneider.

:dontknow:

DCMatt

I zoomed in on OB's shoulders, and he is definitely leaning, so I vote we tag OB as James. What's the vote from Tamrock and others? As soon as I get the word, I'll post the FINAL photo with all the names, and say Merry Christmas and Happy New Year for this post! :tongue3:

Breezie

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bramblefind said:
Also .. while it doesn't mean anything definitive at all.. I did find this reference regarding Boston FDR Birthday Ball for 1942 and all it says is he didn't attend there since he was in the marines. (1/31/1942 Boston Herald) I found other references in early February to him being out in California but nothing on where he was on January 30th. So he could very well been in Washington for that party instead...

I can't find anything specific to January 30, 1942 either. but according to a Marine Corp website:

After the attack on Pearl Harbor, he requested duty with a combat unit, and was re-assigned to Camp Elliott in January 1942,

Camp Elliott is/was in San Diego and Jimmy was obviously well connected. So he could easily have travelled to Washington DC for his father's birthday.

DCMatt

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here are James & Elliot in January of 1941:

Looks like Elliot is also in the pic with OB #2.

So two sons made it back for dad's birthday bash in January of '42.

Of course they were there. What commanding officer would have said, "Sorry boys. You can't go."?

DCMatt

Attachments

• james_elliot_roosevelt.jpg
    james_elliot_roosevelt.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been looking for pic's of James with these glasses. Here is a more closer look. It's maybe a better face shot to go by ??? I'm looking at the lower lip, teeth, his brow etc. A lot of similarities I believe to James Roosevelt.

Attachments

• MV STARS bald guy.jpg
    MV STARS bald guy.jpg
    249.1 KB · Views: 81
Upvote 0

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So are we all in agreement about James R? If so, I'll add him to the final pic.

:) Breezie

Upvote 0
OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So are we all in agreement about James R? If so, I'll add him to the final pic.

:) Breezie
Not totally???.. I do though question the online info on the height of John Payne at 6ft. 0in., based on all the picture I see of him online standing next to other folks. He looks like a giant to anyone he stands next to. This guy could be any body? I even thought he may be the guy with the camera, as he seems to be focused more on the camera lens as if he is watching for the timed shutter to click. Wish I could find James Roosevelt with those glasses. Heck this guy could be the shuttle driver to an executive person at the lab or just a complete photo bomber. I'll be fine at this time as just the "mystery man". Entertainer, Movie Star, Scientist, Politician, Son of the President or Spy?

Upvote 0

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think I have figured it out finally. Our orig. Baldy is not James Roosevelt. Even though they look a lot alike, here is the obvious difference: James has attached ear lobes. OB does not.

xxJames-Roosevelt-Paulette-Goddard-Pot-Gold.jpg xxSTARS bald guy.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I have figured it out finally. Our orig. Baldy is not James Roosevelt. Even though they look a lot alike, here is the obvious difference: James has attached ear lobes. OB does not.

View attachment 916106 View attachment 916108
Doctor Baldy? He's either in the entertainment biz, A key person at the lab or possibly a political person. My best hunch is he's in show business somewhere, somehow??? I do think the fella in the LIFE photo very well could be the same guy in the picture we're working on... Good call on the ears Breezie, Thanks!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well at this time I am so satisfied with all the effort so many folks have put in to solving the mystery of this old photograph of movie stars. I know the bald man we are unsure of his identity, but who cares as there are so many big name movie stars in this picture, he could have been just one very lucky guy in the right place at the right time?. I think we can say with some great certainty that this picture of very famous folks was taken in January, 1942 in Washington DC and they are part of the Victory Caravan of movie stars attending the 60th birthday of President Franklin D Roosevelt and a celebration for his program "the March of Dimes". So many of you out there have adding so much to solve the questions of this old photo and for that I thank you all so much!.

The following are a team I give special thanks to and honor for the extra effort in putting it all together in such detail. I think you guys should start a TV Show solving mysteries like the "history Detective's" I'd watch it!

Back of the Boat, You have wonderful investigative skills.
NVNutcase, Your unstoppable in getting things solved
Surf, What great Wisdom and knowledge you have of history.
Bramblefind, What a Bloodhound, You know how to find and find it fast.
DCMatt, You are a professional in this game. What more do I say?
Breezie, A jewel I say, The true orchestrator of it all.

Well with all that said, I wish you all a very happy New Year!

Upvote 0

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
G, thank you for the super nice and appreciative post. I thoroughly enjoyed helping with your photo, and it has been one of my all time favorites on TNet. Happy New Year to you and your family and to all of my TNet friends.

:)
Breezie
PS: Go find some more pics! LOL

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been looking for pic's of James with these glasses. Here is a more closer look.

OK. I just couldn't stand it after you brought this post up in a recent 'What Is It' thread. I found baldy!

Myer Davis - Orchestra leader. He was the Godfather of dance music through the 1930's and pretty much just a God in the music industry after that until dance music became passé.

I can place him at the White House on January 31, 1942 with the rest of the Hollywood 'March of Dimes' gang:

myer davis.JPG

Here's a face comparison:

myer davis compare.JPG

Upvote 0
OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK. I just couldn't stand it after you brought this post up in a recent 'What Is It' thread. I found baldy!

Myer Davis - Orchestra leader. He was the Godfather of dance music through the 1930's and pretty much just a God in the music industry after that until dance music became passé.

I can place him at the White House on January 31, 1942 with the rest of the Hollywood 'March of Dimes' gang:

View attachment 1902697

Here's a face comparison:

View attachment 1902698
Thats awesome Matt. It's been years since this post went idle and now we have the man figured out.

Upvote 0

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good work DCMatt !

md.jpeg

md1.jpeg md3.jpg

md2.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread