✅ SOLVED Snap shot of 1940s movie stars Who are they ???

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of the things I like to do is go through the boxes of old photo's found in antique stores. I came across a bunch that had old shots of Washington DC and some were handwritten with a blue ink pen with some info of the photo and a few with the date June 1943. This 5-1/4" x 4" B&W photo is handwritten on the back, "Science Research Lab Anacostia D.C. Movie Stars etc.(no info as to who these people are). I would say the tall fellow 4th from the left-back-row is Jimmy Stewart, but that's just my opinion for now. As for the other people or so called movie stars in the photo, I've no clue just who they are?... I would say the photo was out of a personal collection that someone took of a trip to Washington D.C. in 1943. I also purchsed other photo I liked of D.C. from the collection.

Attachments

• MV STARS 1.jpg
    MV STARS 1.jpg
    681.5 KB · Views: 508
  • MV STARS 2.jpg
    MV STARS 2.jpg
    565.9 KB · Views: 803
  • MV STARS 3.jpg
    MV STARS 3.jpg
    748.2 KB · Views: 393

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think in the 3rd pic the guy behind the blond is a young Rock Hudson?

Upvote 0

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also think Rosemary Clooney is in the pic standing behind the man in the chair.

Upvote 0
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
I dont really see any movies stars in the pics.They just might be the people that worked at the research lab

Upvote 0

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can see Jimmy Stewart (last row-looking to the left); Jackie Cooper (far right - standing) Not recognizing anyone else.

Upvote 0

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can see Jimmy Stewart (last row-looking to the left); Jackie Cooper (far right - standing) Not recognizing anyone else.
Yep Jackie Cooper couldn't think of his name.And definitely Jimmy Stewart.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

olroy70

Feb 3, 2011
gainesville, tx
Detector(s) used
Garret 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
and, the gal sitting to the left, is the one that was with bing crosbly and bob hope it their travel movies...........cant remember her name

Upvote 0

squiggy

Silver Member
Dec 14, 2012
CA
Detector(s) used
Ace 250..garret pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rock Hudson not in these pics...

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The gent in the back could be Jimmy Stewart as he appears to have collar brass (single "butter bar") on his lapel, which he would have being an Army Air Force lieutenant during WW2, and the time your photograph is dated. (June 1943) Very cool finds, Sub 8-)

James Stewart, partial service record during World War 2

In March 1941 at age
32, he reported for duty as Private James Stewart at Fort McArthur and was assigned to the
Army Air Corps at Moffett Field. To comply with the regulations of the Air Corps proficiency
board, Stewart required additional 100 flying hours and bought them at a nearby field, at his
own expense. He then took and passed a very stiff proficiency board examination.

In January 1942 Stewart was commissioned a 2nd Lieutenant. He was then sent to Mather
Field in California as a four engine instructor, this included both the B-17 and B-24 heavy
bombers. Much to his dismay, Stewart stayed stateside for almost two years working as a flight
instructor, until commanding officers finally yielded to his request to be sent overseas.
In November 1943, now a Captain and Operations Officer for the 703rd Bomb Squadron, 445th
Bombardment Group of the Eighth Air Force, he arrived in Tibenham, England. In March of
1944 he was transferred to the 453rd Bombardment Group at Old Buckenham (Old Buc).
Throughout his combat career, Stewart flew as lead pilot in B-24 Liberators.

Upvote 0

longcut

Oct 16, 2012
Misipy
Detector(s) used
X Terra 505 and Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Possibility the two guys on left are .... Van Heflin and William Holden ..................

Upvote 0

NVNutcase

Sep 9, 2013
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty sure the one directly behind the guy that's sitting is Pat O'Brien.

Upvote 0

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Great photo, tamrock,

The blond in the raccoon coat sitting next to (Harry Cohn?) is Betty Grable.

409_1022878932.jpg

I see James Stewart, Pat O'Brien, John Payne, Jackie Cooper. Perhaps Dorothy Lamour, Dorothy Dandridge, and I'm sitting here talking to myself on some of the others…

6006435456_da61dda139.jpg

PS: That's Edward Arnold, behind Pat O'Brien's left shoulder:

Edward-Arnold-big.jpg

PPS: I'm 80%-isn that's Rita Hayworth in the mink, to the right of the gentleman in the spats, and opposite Betty Grable…

Rita_Hayworth_1942_cropped.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread