✅ SOLVED Snap shot of 1940s movie stars Who are they ???

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of the things I like to do is go through the boxes of old photo's found in antique stores. I came across a bunch that had old shots of Washington DC and some were handwritten with a blue ink pen with some info of the photo and a few with the date June 1943. This 5-1/4" x 4" B&W photo is handwritten on the back, "Science Research Lab Anacostia D.C. Movie Stars etc.(no info as to who these people are). I would say the tall fellow 4th from the left-back-row is Jimmy Stewart, but that's just my opinion for now. As for the other people or so called movie stars in the photo, I've no clue just who they are?... I would say the photo was out of a personal collection that someone took of a trip to Washington D.C. in 1943. I also purchsed other photo I liked of D.C. from the collection.

Attachments

• MV STARS 1.jpg
    MV STARS 1.jpg
    681.5 KB · Views: 508
  • MV STARS 2.jpg
    MV STARS 2.jpg
    565.9 KB · Views: 803
  • MV STARS 3.jpg
    MV STARS 3.jpg
    748.2 KB · Views: 393

NVNutcase

Sep 9, 2013
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The List and photos that Surf and Bramblefind provided are trying to tell you who is in that photo. Take another look at those and see if you can't come up with the Real names of these folks. For instance, the Danny Thomas looking guy is more than likely a fellow named Conrad Thibault. He is at least a part of the FDR celebration.

I agree. I have gone through everyone of the names on Bramble & Surf's list as well as all the names of the Cuff Link Club Gang, plus political people, and could not find anyone who looked like 'Baldy.' I do agree that Danny Thomas could be Conrad Thibault, but if Balty is Andre, then Lily and Nino would make sense. Before I change anymore names on the pic, we'll get a general consensus.

:)
Breezie

Upvote 0

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tamrock thank you for all the fun this pic provided:icon_thumright:

Upvote 0

Bramblefind

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2009
New York
Detector(s) used
T2/F75 SE
Well I still think the woman with her eyes closed is Michele Morgan. I don't know who the mystery bald guy is - Matt made a good guess but I don't know. I also still think the man in the center is Senator Radcliffe :)

So I don't know if it will ever be completely solved but it has been a lot of fun!

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Conrad Thibault comparison:

Wow. Awesome.

DCMatt

Attachments

• thibaultcompare.jpg
    thibaultcompare.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 66
Upvote 0

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Below is the cleaned up version of the pic. I agree with Matt on Frank Knox because of an ear comparison. I agree with Bramble on Michele Morgan because of a nose comparison. She has this hangie down part on her nose at the end. BUT nothing is written in stone. :) Soooooo, we're left with Baldy again.

View attachment 914839

Attachments

• xxMovieStarsClean.jpg
    xxMovieStarsClean.jpg
    285.9 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like were down to the mystery man...................

MovieStars.jpg

Upvote 0

NVNutcase

Sep 9, 2013
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice cleaned up version, Breezie !! As far as the Ear comparison, that is a much older picture of Senator Radcliffe and we all know that 'dem ears do some funny stuff as one ages. lol The photo that started this whole thing, is of a group that assembled for FDR's birthday celebration, AND, for support of Infantile Paralysis. Senator George L. Radcliffe was Chairman of that special committee. Still workin' on the guy with glasses. He reminds me of a Character Actor that I've seen before, somewhere.

Upvote 0

Bramblefind

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2009
New York
Detector(s) used
T2/F75 SE
You are doing incredible work Breezie! :icon_thumright:

I still think that man looks more like Radcliffe than Knox though :laughing7: The hairline, the chins ...and the fact that we have the newspaper photo of him in the middle of them all happy and jolly. And Knox does have those glasses -- I know they can be removed but still he did usually wear them.

But I can keep it to myself unless more evidence shows up to tip me...and you all go with the consensus.

Attachments

• washingtonstarsd.jpg
    washingtonstarsd.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 67
Upvote 0
OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Conrad Thibault comparison:

Wow. Awesome.

DCMatt
Audios!.... Danny Thomas and don't forget to write. As for Matt, you get another feather to add to your hat. Good One!:thumbsup:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I still think that man looks more like Radcliffe than Knox though :laughing7: The hairline, the chins ...and the fact that we have the newspaper photo of him in the middle of them all happy and jolly. And Knox does have those glasses -- I know they can be removed but still he did usually wear them.

But I can keep it to myself unless more evidence shows up to tip me...and you all go with the consensus.
Those could be glasses in the center of the desk in front of the light colored box? I wear glasses most of the time, but I don't read with them. I see better reading and when I'm on the computer with them up on my head. The scratches on them bug me when I look at things up close.

Upvote 0

Bramblefind

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2009
New York
Detector(s) used
T2/F75 SE
Those could be glasses in the center of the desk in front of the light colored box? I wear glasses most of the time, but I don't read with them. I see better reading and when I'm on the computer with them up on my head. The scratches on them bug me when I look at things up close.

Sure I know :) It is just one more thing that leans me toward it being Radcliffe.

I did find these photos of Knox in his office from January, 1942 - same month as the event (more at the link).

Frank Knox - Hosted by Google

b88b95fc7c342cac_landing

b99bf48dbf2c1f51_landing

Upvote 0
OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well you got me thinking. The ears I would say look allot the same. The chin does look like Radcliffe's? In the beginning I gave thought to that person being March of Dimes chairman 42' Basil O'Connor? ... How can we know for sure who this person is I wonder???

I'm going to go make some popcorn and sit back a while.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Bingo! I forgot about him being in the newspaper. and Nutcase is right, ears do change with age. Okay, I'm jumping ship and going with Radcliffe.

:)
Breezie

Upvote 0
OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tamrock thank you for all the fun this pic provided:icon_thumright:

Your all so very welcome!... How cool that we have some excellent talent in history detective work around here. I would have never guessed you all could pin down some of the information on this photo like you have. All the things we've learned about the picture is just so fascinating. What a journey it's been up to now. Also thanks to the creator's of this website who ever you are, 'you did a good thing'

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This might be reaching, but could it be Jess Oppenheimer? He was the 'brains' behind I LOVE LUCY; writer and producer. Lucille Ball did attend FDR's 1944 BD party. I've already gone through 1940s comedians, so maybe Baldy is a Director or Producer.

Jess Oppenheimer.jpg Baldy.jpg

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sure I know :) It is just one more thing that leans me toward it being Radcliffe.

I did find these photos of Knox in his office from January, 1942 - same month as the event (more at the link).

Frank Knox - Hosted by Google

I must agree that it is most likely Radcliffe. The newpaper photo gives a clue. Also, Radcliffe was Chairman of the National Foundation for Infantile Paralysis for decades and that is why all the stars are gathered.

Special thanks to Bramblefind for not succumbing to "group think".

DCMatt

Attachments

• radcliffecompare.jpg
    radcliffecompare.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 69
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread