What's new

Snow day in the creek-big pot shard and mystery object

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Joined
Mar 24, 2013
Messages
2,882
Reaction score
3,005
Golden Thread
0
Location
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday we had 10" of snow but we decided to look at the creek Creek in snow 2-2014.webp turns out it was a very good idea because I found this shard and a mystery object WP_20140214_002.webpWP_20140214_003.webp

This is the back side of them WP_20140214_003.webp WP_20140214_010.webp

More views of the mystery object WP_20140214_005.webpWP_20140214_006.webpWP_20140214_007.webp

This thing doesn't look like rock and it has designs on it like the pottery shards. Any ideas on what it is?
 
Upvote 0
I don't see any designs.. It looks like a creek Stained coble of quartzite or hard sandstone to me.
 
I don't see any designs.. It looks like a creek Stained coble of quartzite or hard sandstone to me.
They are hard to see in the pics but it's not quartzite or sandstone. I will probably have to let the archeologist see it. Thank you for looking though, and I know it's hard to tell some things from pics.
 
I can see the one as being a worn piece of pottery but the other I don't think is anything either. There are some pitted hammer stones that look similar but I don't think that is one.
 
Last edited:
Did you get in that creek? You did well on the pottery pieces. That water source has flowed for a long time. I wonder if you have gold there .
It might be a little pecking stone like this one. I think they used them for quick chores and chunked them. Sometimes they get wear from tumbling also. Not sure what it is..

photo.webp
 
I will try and get better pics of it tomorrow after it dries out more...I might be seeing some fossils because one design looks like a flower. Guess you would have to see it in person.
 
Did you get in that creek? You did well on the pottery pieces. That water source has flowed for a long time. I wonder if you have gold there .
It might be a little pecking stone like this one. I think they used them for quick chores and chunked them. Sometimes they get wear from tumbling also. Not sure what it is..

View attachment 945579

This is a creek that borders the back of my property and it might have gold in it but I don't know. I do know that I have found 80 shards in it and several points/knives and some things that have been worked but even the archaeologist don't know what they were used for. lol This new object is drying out and the drier it gets the more I see. The shards I've found that weren't fabric impressed have X like designs on them and also the "flower like" design but are so faded you have to have good light to see them. I'm beginning to think the X and flower might be the maker's mark. When this was wet I saw X's on the flat side like they were scratched on it but where the X is it is darker deeper into it. Thinking I'll be looking at it more in the sun in the morning.
 
I love creeks ;) !!!!
 
Has to be a big site or shelter with all the pottery you find. Pottery and private property with permission screams shovels and sifters to me.:hello:
 
Two of the last views of the rock has the look of a mano. Is the rock flat and smooth on one side?
 
It look like a hammerstone to me. One side looks like it was used more heavily than the other side but still used all along the edges. It looks like there is no wear in the middle just the edges. I'd keep it for sure.
 
....wow...congrats on finding those :icon_thumright: Your creek is pretty....:) Thanks for sharing it all with us! Forgot to ask, can you see the designs better now? When I was looking at your pictures up close, thought I could maybe see something there....nice!
 
Last edited:
The rock we are talking about, looks to have done some pecking, but not much hard hammering. Nice find:thumbsup:I'm like TnMnts (You got in that creek) you are hard core.:laughing7:
 
....wow...congrats on finding those :icon_thumright: Your creek is pretty....:) Thanks for sharing it all with us! Forgot to ask, can you see the designs better now? When I was looking at your pictures up close, thought I could maybe see something there....nice!

On the rounded side the X's are connecting to form diamond shapes and I see circular shapes but they aren't just lines and it's hard to describe, it's like a thin cord type line. I wish they weren't so faded and I've seen these shapes and circles on some of the pottery and is why I'm leaning more toward this being not rock but something that was soft at one time. Now I'm back to my searches on it lol I wish I knew someone who was an expert in Catawba Indian symbols. It's a bit frustrating lol
 
Do you think the engravings are deep enough to try some "rubbing" with a pencil & paper? And when you wet the stone/thing, does it have a smell like a regular rock or like something else? Hope you can get it figured out...I don't know a thing about the Catawba, will have to read something on them.....Good Luck Peaches! :)
 
I will try and get better pics of it tomorrow after it dries out more...I might be seeing some fossils because one design looks like a flower. Guess you would have to see it in person.
I see in all 3 pics (w/my screen darkened/tipped back) it does seem to have a little stem too. ;)
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom