Snowy, Shallow, SEATED Silver!

jrmazzeo

Mar 16, 2012
Central Mass
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It is days like today that make me love this hobby!

My post yesterday discussed the hunting I did in a snowy park, finding 5 silver dimes all less than 3 inches deep. It is a park that I hunted many times last year and pulled out lots of deep silver, but with the snow I was digging shallow signals in an area of the park I had not hunted before because I was getting lots of shallow signals that I was sure were clad and memorials. Thank god for the snow or I would never have dug these shallow silvers.

Day 2 with the same conditions turned out to be one of my best days ever. I have only found one seated dime before, it was heavily warn and barely readable but I was happy to have it. Today I scored two seated dimes, one a heavily warn but readable 1875, the other a very nice although quite dark 1855. Both were no more than 2-3 inches deep and were found very close to the other 6 silver dimes I found, including a 1906-O Barber, 1918 and 1918-S Mercs, and 1952, 1957-D and 1959 Rosies.

I left the park freezing cold from digging in the snow but a very happy man.

Attachments

• 3-24-2013_28 silver.JPG
    3-24-2013_28 silver.JPG
    652.9 KB · Views: 170
  • 3-24-2013_seated.JPG
    3-24-2013_seated.JPG
    508 KB · Views: 180
Upvote 3

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Beautiful coins and great find on the Seated!

Out here we don't have that many "old" sites in comparison to the
East Coast, and finding a Barber is about as old as they get since the
area wasn't settled until around the 1870's.

Some day I'm going to get ahold of a couple of you on the other coast, and
hopefully you might point me somewhere that those older coins can occasionally
be located!

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jrmazzeo,
Stunning, just Stunning! At times we are given an opportunity to use our free agency and some of those times turn out to be most dramatic. Congratulations on a superb hunt and a whole bunch of silvers. I've never found a: Merc, seated or a barber anything and there you have all three! Wonderful and thank you for sharing............63bkpkr

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread