so this is what people think of our hobby?

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
beach.jpg Came across this picture on FB and thought to myself how nice it would be to donkey punch the person who made it! just thought id share lol

Upvote 4

Greylock

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Western MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sell the gun and wipe my ... With the note

Tackem

Greenie
Sep 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder, ShadowX2, Minelab Colt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who ever Posted the Pic only portrays how Ignorant they really are trust me the poster of that Pic is 100 % Idiot
Post Like that are not worth the time Reading nor replying to !

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The guy that wrote that cartoon is the same guy that would be begging you to find his wife's lost engagement ring. I would like to have seen that on Facebook.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Only one thing wrong with it. It should have portrayed a golfer. After 40 years of spending a fortune on clubs, club dues, beer and tips to the cart babe(ok, that was worth it) and watching it on TV(?), that cartoon fits golfers perfectly...

damiani1

Jun 2, 2013
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Current: Tesoro silver umax, Whites Spectrum XLT
Past: Garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Lol, so if digging up interesting old relics is considered stupid? Then that's like saying the past is stupid... I myself enjoy metal detecting due to it is completely a mystery to what you can find and its not straight forward like other hobbies. It is not also as expensive as other hobbies which I used to do. I used to do paintball which cost an arm and a leg. A good light weight setup would cost an easy $500+ and it would cost $60+ each time you would go out and have fun. I love metal detecting and don't really care what others think.

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Whoever created that cartoon is full of self-hatred. Maybe someday that person will evolve. In the meantime, he/she probably hates just about everything. :dontknow: Andi

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i think the thing that gets me about the pic is people dont understand the hobby. they think were money hungry junk hoarders or something. I cant explain it but i feel like they look at us like were the scum of the earth and by they i mean some. by no means do i mean all, in fact alot of people actually are interested and ask me a ton of questions. Somehow i went from knowing jack squat about metal detecting to being somewhat obsessed in just a years time. id like to consider myself an amateur historian :laughing7:. Im never concerned with how much something i find is worth, because the finds to me are worth much more than any monetary value, but dont get me wrong its pretty cool to think i can find rings worth hundreds if not thousands, and the chance at snagging those old coins/relics is what fuels my drive and obsession......ok done ranting, that will be all lol

Birky

Apr 19, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i think the thing that gets me about the pic is people dont understand the hobby. they think were money hungry junk hoarders or something. I cant explain it but i feel like they look at us like were the scum of the earth and by they i mean some. by no means do i mean all, in fact alot of people actually are interested and ask me a ton of questions. Somehow i went from knowing jack squat about metal detecting to being somewhat obsessed in just a years time. id like to consider myself an amateur historian :laughing7:. Im never concerned with how much something i find is worth, because the finds to me are worth much more than any monetary value, but dont get me wrong its pretty cool to think i can find rings worth hundreds if not thousands, and the chance at snagging those old coins/relics is what fuels my drive and obsession......ok done ranting, that will be all lol

Agreed 100%

And the nitwit who thought this up should dig a hole of his own...and bury himself in it..

Better yet...I'll dig it for him:laughing7:

Sledgod2

May 31, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
BH Quick Draw II,
Garrett AT Pro,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Obviously I'm in the minority on this but I laughed pretty good at it... Sorry it's only humor folks... I'm addicted to this hobby but I thought it was funny.:tongue3:

JohnnyMac

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Nox,,Whites Eagle Spectrum,Whites Coinmaster 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I thought it was funny too,,,gotta be able to laugh at ourselves guys and not be so serious..

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the only person who needs to make a find like that is this idiot.....

boombaby.jpg

swolfe

Jul 8, 2012
Rockford Illinois
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Beep and Dig Harbor Freight 9 function detector.
Whites Coinmaster DB/4
Whites Coinmaster Pro
Tesoro Vaquero
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Obviously I'm in the minority on this but I laughed pretty good at it... Sorry it's only humor folks... I'm addicted to this hobby but I thought it was funny.:tongue3:

Ya I thought it was pretty funny too :)

pwcguy

May 20, 2010
Va
Detector(s) used
E-Trac (retired)
CTX3030, Double Eagle
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found it funny too. But I often laugh at stuff that isn't funny so take it for what it's worth.:laughing7:

JunkShopFiddler

Bronze Member
Feb 15, 2013
SW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think this is good... I don't want the ignorant people of the world approving of what I do, and obvious this is an ignorant joke, written by the ignorant, for the consumption of the ignorant...5 bucks says the creator of this is against the 2nd amendment, but approves of gun humor when it's to his liking... I told my Wife to get a 2x4 and knock me off this thing if I start a political rant...Uh oh...I hear footsteps...NO, HONEY....WAIT...I'M FINISHED!....I PROMISE....AAAAAAAAAA.....
KA-BONG!.....wow, what a woman!:love4:

JeromeAz

May 31, 2013
I agree with cjon! I was in a ghost town, not metal detecting, just looking around and close to the foundation of an old building there was a low spot in the ground. I started digging and about 1 1/2 feet down I found a ring. No stone left on it. About a 1/4" of the band was gone from corrosion. Looks like its made of copper. Had the green corrosion that copper gets. It was a smelting town for the copper mines. So I'm guessing it was made there. Late 1800's or early 1900's. Anyways getting to the point. I don't think the ring is worth anything but to me it was a great find and worth a lot to me! Would I sell it? Nope! I bet if someone took that guy out detecting and he found things he'd change his tune!

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rant on. It keeps us healthy to get things off our chests and minds.

CC Hunter

Aug 7, 2004
Timbuktu
Detector(s) used
Magnet on a Stick
All laughs aside for a moment, let's look at the gun and note from a logical point of view. :)

Apparently the gun (that we may assume is loaded, for obvious reasons if one is expected to fulfill the request upon the note), was planted at an earlier time on this beach. The party(s) responsible for planting this weapon along with the attached note, referenced "Hobby" only as being stupid (rather than say; "Your Hobby Of Metal Detecting", or "Hobby Of Searching For Lost Junk", etc., etc.,). Therefore "Hobby" is a general catch-all, that MAY have actually been intended for any number of others that frequent the beaches for R&R. Upon that point, possibly our "metal detector" fellow merely had the misfortune of finding this handgun with a generic note detailing other more popular hobbies upon the beach as stupid (I.E: Building Sandcastles, Surfing, Sitting on a Blanket Watching Bikini Girls, Picking Up Seashells, Etc.) :dontknow:

Therefor, the next frame of the cartoon may in fact show our metal detecting fellow, following proper "catch and release" rules, and placing the handgun and note back in the hole, for a more worthy beach hobbyist to find (insert your choice at this point, from a vast number of annoyances). :laughing7:

CC Hunter

JeromeAz

May 31, 2013
Or he takes the gun, finds out who its registered to, buried him on the beach so someone can detect him one day.

I'm just sayin

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One more vote for funny. Lighten up people, it's a sad life if you can't laugh at yourself once and a while.:laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread