What's new

Soaked in vinegar for two days, dropped in Muriatic Acid, boiled with Al and baking..

Crispin

Silver Member
Joined
Jun 26, 2012
Messages
3,636
Reaction score
2,857
Golden Thread
0
Location
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster Pro, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Other
...soda, torched with nitric acid and this is as clean as I can get this stupid thing to look. Anybody know what it is? Vintage something. Definitely copper exterior. Back side sticks to a magnet. I'm think belt buckle or power socket? I don't know. Thanks.

IMG_1922[1].webpIMG_1923[1].webpIMG_1924[1].webpIMG_1925[1].webpIMG_1926[1].webp
 
I didnt see the nickel at first. I guess its a chest lock. If I can find my books I could look for that skeleton key shape.
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Did you find it underwater?
 
Upvote 0
Do you mean a briefcase? Looks like a turn lock w/the turn part (technical term lol) missing.

I had something similar on one of my old handbags. Can't locate it at the moment...

Here's an old Y&T catalog https://books.google.com/books?id=d...AA#v=onepage&q=yale & towne turn lock&f=false
Thats a great book HH. But because this lock was attached to wood, we can now rule out handbag, valise or leather attache. I searched thru 100 pages but for some reason the only mention of cabinet and trunk locks was on page 28. Here is a screen shot and by looking at the keys, I would think we need an older catalogue. I couldnt find the date of this book.

yale Y&T.webp I think we need number 24 catalog for trunk locks
 
Upvote 0
I looked at a lot of cabinet, trunk and valise but I cant find it. Im leaning toward cabinet. I give up. Its got to be in a catalogue somewhere. Its definitely a Y&T lock.
 
Upvote 0
Thats a great book HH. But because this lock was attached to wood, we can now rule out handbag, valise or leather attache. I searched thru 100 pages but for some reason the only mention of cabinet and trunk locks was on page 28. Here is a screen shot and by looking at the keys, I would think we need an older catalogue. I couldnt find the date of this book.

View attachment 1334153 I think we need number 24 catalog for trunk locks

Same here....At one point I thought maybe even a inside safe door or drawer. Some of the old safes used wood for shelves , drawers, and interior doors. What gets me? Is that none of their locks on the net that I found have that Knob..I'm convinced that was a knob that maybe twisted with the key. Maybe not and I just have that stuck in my head!!:laughing7:

Another out there guess since they were into bank and vault doors, was a safety deposit box as a possibility. Or PO Box...

It doesn't even come close in style to anything I've found so far... I think I've searched every combinations of words on the net. :laughing7:


I'm sticking with treasure chest for now!!! It fell apart because the gold bars were so heavy.
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
I didn't notice the nickel, so I change my guess to HUMONGOUS jewelry box LOL
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom