What's new

Soapstone/Steatite? Possible Animal Effigy?

bmartin0693

Sr. Member
Joined
Feb 22, 2012
Messages
280
Reaction score
52
Golden Thread
0
Location
East Bend, North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this in an old tobacco barn in Yadkin County, NC. It was just laying on the dirt floor, partially covered. It's a pretty soft material. I can scratch it with my fingernail. I think it is a type of soapstone or steatite. I'm not sure it was something made recently (100 years ago) or even older. One side of it resembles the face of a crocodile. When I saw it laying there that was the first thing I thought of, possibly an animal effigy also. Any ideas?
 

Attachments

  • 0522131157a.webp
    0522131157a.webp
    38.7 KB · Views: 134
  • 0522131158.webp
    0522131158.webp
    35.2 KB · Views: 116
  • 0522131206.webp
    0522131206.webp
    78.3 KB · Views: 128
  • 0522131207.webp
    0522131207.webp
    95.4 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
Upvote 0
confused.gif
Interesting find bmartin0693!
 
Looks like a preform but I dont know for what, sorry
 
Looks like it could be a bannerstone preform.
 
I didn't say it but I thought about it being a preform of some kind also. I have had this in my collection for a while. I used to carry it around with me all the time, so some spots show wear. I'm guessing it is a historic age piece. The material itself being pretty rare.
 
Still a nice discussion piece.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom