Solid brass canon.

shortbuss

Apr 14, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello everyone, I picked this solid brass canon a few weeks ago and I haven't been able to identify the maker or what kind it is yet. I am hoping someone on here can help me solve what kind of canon it is and or who made it. It weights about 4.5 pounds. The only marking's are on the legs by the back (picture # 3 and 4), it is marked 1 and 3. The canon has what looks like spiral lines that looks like it was milled on a lathe. I think the marks on the canon look like it was hit with a hammer or something, maybe to make it look older than it is? the canon is about 9.25 inches long and 3.5 inches wide. If y'all need any other photos or info please don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks y'all

Shortbuss
IMG_20160325_215328.jpg
IMG_20160325_215338.jpg
IMG_20160325_215404.jpg
IMG_20160325_215415.jpg
IMG_20160325_215426.jpg

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking up early 19th century brass toy cannons I find many images of these kind of cannons that are similar to this one, but not the same exact cannon. One I saw had the same looking wheels, but had a repeating cannon mounted on top. That one was said to come from England. Could have been a toy that came in a kit to put together being the numbers are marked on it? I would say it was made in a machine shop type factory. The hack marks I'd say are from deliberate abuse, like maybe something was stuck in the barrel and they smacked on it to get it that something out?. Or just some kid decided to just bang on it for no good reason like I did once to the ivory keys to my moms piano chipping all the edges off. I still to this day don't know why I did that, but was maybe just fascinated how easily the pieces all flew off by hitting them with just a pencil. Kids just do dumb things.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread