What's new

SOLVED! 1850-1875 PhotoAlbum Spiral cam Booklatch

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Joined
Jan 2, 2010
Messages
6,690
Reaction score
716
Golden Thread
1
Location
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello All!
Dug this a day or two back.
Turn the round spiral cam, and the two bell shaped pieces extend and retract,
(or vice versa). wondering if anyone knows what this item was used for?
Nola_Ken suggested Book Clasp.
Any more ideas would be welcome!
thanks for looking :thumbsup:
 

Attachments

  • NH FINDS 06-09 014.webp
    NH FINDS 06-09 014.webp
    35.8 KB · Views: 555
  • NH FINDS 06-09 015.webp
    NH FINDS 06-09 015.webp
    30.5 KB · Views: 443
  • NH FINDS 06-09 014.webp
    NH FINDS 06-09 014.webp
    35.8 KB · Views: 489
  • NH FINDS 06-09 015.webp
    NH FINDS 06-09 015.webp
    30.5 KB · Views: 418
Re: Spiral cam mechanism

NOLA_Ken said:
Bump! really interested to see what this turns out to be.
The piece on top in photo 2 would accept a slide pin connector, like a hinge.
hole in bottom would accept screw/bolt/pin.
I'm baffled by this, some type of light duty precision adjuster?
The bell shaped pieces move very little in comparison to rotation of the disc.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Spiral cam mechanism

looks to be a book latch. turning the cam would allow a tightening of the latch, what ever it came off of.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Spiral cam mechanism

Sounds like a green check to me.
booklatch wouldn't have to move much.
hinge pin attached on back cover, hole went over pin on front cover,
twist the disc, it was locked

Nola_Ken gave the first booklatch id in 'Todays finds'
Seconded by Lostcauses here.
Now I see clearly ;D
Thanks guys! Great work :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0
Re: SOLVED! Spiral cam Booklatch

Don't want to seem stupid, but what is a book latch and how does it work?
 
Upvote 0
Re: SOLVED! Spiral cam Booklatch

creskol said:
Don't want to seem stupid, but what is a book latch and how does it work?

Some old books had a clasp on them that would keep them shut,

Steelheadwill.....you're not going to believe the pic I just found online....
 

Attachments

  • clasp.webp
    clasp.webp
    21.9 KB · Views: 495
Upvote 0
Re: SOLVED! Spiral cam Booklatch

NOLA_Ken said:
creskol said:
Don't want to seem stupid, but what is a book latch and how does it work?

Thanks Ken .. What is the link?

Some old books had a clasp on them that would keep them shut,

Steelheadwill.....you're not going to believe the pic I just found online....
 
Upvote 0
Re: SOLVED! Spiral cam Booklatch

creskol said:
NOLA_Ken said:
creskol said:
Don't want to seem stupid, but what is a book latch and how does it work?

Thanks Ken .. What is the link?

Some old books had a clasp on them that would keep them shut,

Steelheadwill.....you're not going to believe the pic I just found online....

Creskol, here's a site with some history of book clasps. I always thought they were really neat, and something you just don't see much anymore.

http://www.edenworkshops.com/book_clasps.html
 
Upvote 0
Re: SOLVED! Spiral cam Booklatch

NOLA_Ken said:
Creskol, here's a site with some history of book clasps. I always thought they were really neat, and something you just don't see much anymore.

http://www.edenworkshops.com/book_clasps.html
GreatID Nola Ken. :hello2: I remember personal diarys used to have clasps. My sister had one in the late 60's. You had to push the tiny slide button to open it. Some also had tiny keys.
 
Upvote 0
Re: SOLVED! Spiral cam Booklatch

NOLA_Ken said:
creskol said:
NOLA_Ken said:
creskol said:
Don't want to seem stupid, but what is a book latch and how does it work?

Thanks Ken .. What is the link?

Some old books had a clasp on them that would keep them shut,

Steelheadwill.....you're not going to believe the pic I just found online....

Creskol, here's a site with some history of book clasps. I always thought they were really neat, and something you just don't see much anymore.

http://www.edenworkshops.com/book_clasps.html


Thanks Ken .. I am familiar with the old strap-type clasps, but I have never seen one of these before. Thanks for the education. Learn something new every day if you aren't careful.
 
Upvote 0
Re: SOLVED! Spiral cam Booklatch

[/quote]


Thanks Ken .. I am familiar with the old strap-type clasps, but I have never seen one of these before. Thanks for the education. Learn something new every day if you aren't careful.
[/quote]

Yeah seems like whether I want to or not ;D
 
Upvote 0
Re: SOLVED! Spiral cam Booklatch

NOLA_Ken said:
creskol said:
Don't want to seem stupid, but what is a book latch and how does it work?

Some old books had a clasp on them that would keep them shut,

Steelheadwill.....you're not going to believe the pic I just found online....
That is unbelievable :hello2:
Now there can be no doubt...
Relentless researching pays off!
Thanks VERY much :notworthy:
 
Upvote 0
Re: SOLVED! Spiral cam Booklatch

NOLA_Ken said:
now the trick is to date it..... ???
One would think that such a neat design might be patented :icon_scratch:
The item shows no numbers or letters.
Can a patent search be done by item description?
If I were to guess from the condition of the book shown, 1880-1900 :read2:
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Re: SOLVED! Spiral cam Booklatch

NOLA_Ken said:
creskol said:
Don't want to seem stupid, but what is a book latch and how does it work?

Some old books had a clasp on them that would keep them shut,

Steelheadwill.....you're not going to believe the pic I just found online....

Awesome picture! :icon_thumleft:

looks like it is a clasp for a photograph album.
 
Upvote 0
Re: SOLVED! Spiral cam Booklatch

The guy with the book clasp site says it's likely to be from a Victorian photo album, and guessed maybe 1850 -1875.
 
Upvote 0
Awesome Job on This Item :thumbsup:
Exact photo match and Date, can't get much better than that ;D
Thanks to all who replied and assisted with this Item :notworthy:
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom