What's new

Solved! 62 3 Cent piece

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Joined
Jan 2, 2010
Messages
6,690
Reaction score
716
Golden Thread
1
Location
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Solved! '62 3 Cent piece

Found this small copper round, symbol on front is similar to apothecary weights I have, currently weighs 9.6 grains, 14 X 1 MM
6 pointed star on back, any help is appreciated!! ???
 

Attachments

  • NC FINDS 9-30 006.webp
    NC FINDS 9-30 006.webp
    22.2 KB · Views: 515
  • NC FINDS 9-30 007.webp
    NC FINDS 9-30 007.webp
    23.6 KB · Views: 503
Re: Apothecary weight ?

My best guess is its a token. The design is like that of a US three cent piece which were made of silver 1851 to 1873. It would be helpful to know what state it was found in. Merchants had tokens made to keep the cash in the safe and the customer coming back. . It would be helpful to know what state it was found in it would narrow the search a little.
Jim :hello:
 
Upvote 0
Re: Apothecary weight ?

Neat Find! :thumbsup:

Germany merchant token - Copper, 21mm'.Obverse: Star of David. Reverse: The center of the reverse features the number "11" at the center, with "Kirrmeier & Schere" around the top and "Speyer A/R H. at the bottom, flnked by small star. 19th century. [VF ]


Closes I see! :icon_scratch:
 

Attachments

  • 1140[1].webp
    1140[1].webp
    6.2 KB · Views: 435
Upvote 0
Re: Apothecary weight ?

Thanks for your replies! was found in Portsmouth NH.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Apothecary weight ?

Timekiller said:
Neat Find! :thumbsup:

Germany merchant token - Copper, 21mm'.Obverse: Star of David. Reverse: The center of the reverse features the number "11" at the center, with "Kirrmeier & Schere" around the top and "Speyer A/R H. at the bottom, flnked by small star. 19th century. [VF ]


Closes I see! :icon_scratch:
OMG thats a great ID. Green check.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Apothecary weight ?

Thanks all ! esp, Timekiller, Similar, but size & design differ significantly.
take a look at the symbols on this 2 scruple apoth weight.
also the OP piece is Oh So Close to 10 grains, a good dose of morphia or cocaine from back in those days.
 

Attachments

  • APOTH1 003.webp
    APOTH1 003.webp
    81.7 KB · Views: 403
  • APOTH1 003.webp
    APOTH1 003.webp
    81.7 KB · Views: 403
Upvote 0
Re: Apothecary weight ?

steelheadwill said:
Thanks all ! esp, Timekiller, Similar, but size & design differ significantly.
take a look at the symbols on this 2 scruple apoth weight.
also the OP piece is Oh So Close to 10 grains, a good dose of morphia or cocaine from back in those days.
:thumbsup: yea the size of yours I knew was smaller as you had (14x1mm).And the back also looked a little off.But you may have solved your own.(What is it) :wink: :thumbsup:
Take care,
Pete, :hello:
 
Upvote 0
Re: Apothecary weight ?

OK I see now. My bad.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Apothecary weight ?

Please, no offence meant, it may very well be a token, is there a book that shows tokens issued from businesses in different states? (regarding the request on where it was found). the symbols on the apoth weight are no more of a match than the token markings. I am a newcomer to ID'ing finds and very much appreciate all leads!
thanks fo your Help !! :notworthy:
 
Upvote 0
Re: Apothecary weight ?

steelheadwill said:
Please, no offence meant, it may very well be a token, is there a book that shows tokens issued from businesses in different states? (regarding the request on where it was found). the symbols on the apoth weight are no more of a match than the token markings. I am a newcomer to ID'ing finds and very much appreciate all leads!
thanks fo your Help !! :notworthy:
No offence here Buddy,It's all about learning for me as well.I don't think nobody on here knows everything. :laughing7: That's part of the fun for me.Learning as much as I can,and if it helps people along the way then that's even better.As both come away learning something. :thumbsup: I use to not care for the (what is it) section but have found it to be away to learn more myself.
I'll do some more looking.
You Take Care,
Pete, :hello:
 
Upvote 0
Re: Apothecary weight ?

Good Lord, what a great ID! You guys are pulling the weight where PBK left off. That's almost psychic!

Well done.


-Buckles
 
Upvote 0
Re: Apothecary weight ?

Many thanks to all who participated here!
I am very interested in a book that may show merchants tokens,
maybe organized by state, anyone heard of one?
Thanks & Great Digs to All!, Herbie.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Apothecary weight ?

Ok my last stand and don't know why I did not think of this before. :icon_scratch: Cause I have found them but never put a ruler to one.But it appears to be a U.S. three cent piece.Yours is just weird looking silver I guess must be early with more copper in it. :thumbsup: But I'm sure it is as it would be 14mm as you stated.And I see it as a match for yours in design now. :wink: :thumbsup: Here is one I found in this pic. top right.
Take care.
Pete, :hello:


Value: 0.03 US dollars
Mass: (1851–53) 0.8g
(1854–73) 0.75g
Diameter: 14 mm
Thickness: 1.55 mm
Edge: plain
Composition: (1851–53) 75% Ag,25% Cu
(1854–73) 90% Ag,10% Cu
 

Attachments

  • DSCN0610[1].webp
    DSCN0610[1].webp
    46.6 KB · Views: 297
  • DSCN0610[1].webp
    DSCN0610[1].webp
    46.6 KB · Views: 313
  • 1859_3CS_Obverse[1].webp
    1859_3CS_Obverse[1].webp
    26.7 KB · Views: 316
  • 1859_3CS_Reverse[1].webp
    1859_3CS_Reverse[1].webp
    26.4 KB · Views: 311
Upvote 0
Re: Apothecary weight ?

GREAT !!!!
Thanks Timekiller for the positive ID!!! & SgtJim with the first lead !!!
It amazes me how clear things can become when you have a baseline to compare with.
Wasn't looking for a date, thinking it is a token/weight,
seeing a 62 on there now.
this is a SMALL coin, no wonder it was lost !
regarding color, most of my finds are plucked from salt mud, I've found an Indian Head you'd swear was silver, now a silver coin that looks like copper.
Awesome to be 'able to lable' this piece!
Many Thanks & Great Digs to You !
 
Upvote 0
Re: Solved! '62 3 Cent piece

Ahhh!I was late on this one....you guys had me second guessing my initial assumption,that it was a 3 cent piece!Great I.D T.K!! :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0
Re: Solved! '62 3 Cent piece

steelheadwill said:
GREAT !!!!
Thanks Timekiller for the positive ID!!! & SgtJim with the first lead !!!
It amazes me how clear things can become when you have a baseline to compare with.
Wasn't looking for a date, thinking it is a token/weight,
seeing a 62 on there now.
this is a SMALL coin, no wonder it was lost !
regarding color, most of my finds are plucked from salt mud, I've found an Indian Head you'd swear was silver, now a silver coin that looks like copper.
Awesome to be 'able to lable' this piece!
Many Thanks & Great Digs to You !

Your quite welcome glad you solved it.
Keeep digging you know what they say the best one is the next signal !
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom