What's new

Some Civil War Encampment Finds & Etc.

silversweeper

Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 22, 2011
Messages
340
Reaction score
252
Golden Thread
0
Location
Swampeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some Civil War Encampment Finds & Etc.

Here are the results of about 4 different hunts. The civil war stuff all came from 3 days, each hunt about 2 to 3 hours, on an encampment that has been all but hunted out. I found the back of one cuff button, one 58 caliber drop and the little brass cow or bull horn piece (must have come off of a small figurine of a bull carried by one of the soldiers) the first day, in the area that has been hit the hardest by other detectorists. The next day I went back for a few hours to try my luck in a partially wooded old fence line that seperates the main field from an apartment complex on the other side. Lots of poison ivy there which I hoped had kept the other dirt fishers away...I'm not alergic to it fortunately. I found 4 more .58 drops, a small General Service staff cuff and also a GS coat button that day. Both buttons are the ones in worse condition in the picture. The coat button was in particularly bad shape and had a portion missing in the center. Today I went back for a couple more hours to hit another area of the fence line that I missed yesterday. I found five .44 caliber colt revolver bullets, all drops I believe, although two are slightly smashed or mis-shaped. Those were all in the same general area and probably dropped at the same time. One of the large brass rivets, and the fired 69 caliber were in the same area. A bit farther along I found the other GS coat button and the smashed, heart shaped, 69 caliber. Not sure about that smashed 69, it may have been shaped that way purposely for some reason. A bit farther and I found the other cuff button.
The other finds came from a yard I've been hunting lately, not much to brag about there, some junk jewelry, a 1912 D wheatie, and a token from a local pizza place that has been closed for a long time. The long bar pin is pretty nice, probably from the 1920's and was down nearly 12 to 14 inches!
 

Attachments

  • 10,11finds.webp
    10,11finds.webp
    74.7 KB · Views: 508
  • 10,11finds1.webp
    10,11finds1.webp
    73.9 KB · Views: 492
  • 10,11finds2.webp
    10,11finds2.webp
    82.9 KB · Views: 495
  • 10,11finds3.webp
    10,11finds3.webp
    71.3 KB · Views: 480
  • 10,11finds4.webp
    10,11finds4.webp
    91.1 KB · Views: 493
  • 10,11finds5.webp
    10,11finds5.webp
    64 KB · Views: 493
  • 10,11finds6.webp
    10,11finds6.webp
    63.7 KB · Views: 497
Upvote 0
Re: Some Civil War Encampment Finds & Etc.

Nice bunch of Relics and finds, Congrats!

TommNJ
 
Re: Some Civil War Encampment Finds & Etc.

Nice recoveries. HH, Quindy.
 
Re: Some Civil War Encampment Finds & Etc.

nice finds :icon_thumright: Don't you just love finding stuff like that when they say " hunted out" ?
Slow down and listen, theres more there.
 
Re: Some Civil War Encampment Finds & Etc.

What kind of machine are you using?

And nice finds!
 
Re: Some Civil War Encampment Finds & Etc.

Hey CoilFisher, I hunt with an etrac. I use a wide open screen with manual sensitivity as high as I can get it to go, and in ferrous two tone. Lots of noise but I've gotten used to it and can pick out some great finds from some pretty trashy ground. The fence row I was hunting in had beer/soda cans, wadded up foil (some of which I dug even though I knew it was most likely foil) and lots of other trash laying about and buried, in addition to all of the ferrous metal in the ground. There was no mistaking when I waved my coil above a good target, though. What little trash I did dig, I pretty much knew was trash before hand....I just didn't want to miss any goodies.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom