Some Kind of Sign

dillondonnelly

Tenderfoot
Dec 15, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, everyone.

The other day, I was metal detecting in this old village located in the woods that was founded in the year 1847 and ultimately abandoned in the early 1900's. There were almost no standing structures, except for a graveyard. Using a map of the village, I found the foundation of a church. I started scanning, detected something, and then dug about a foot into the ground. I found this large metal sign-like thing with lettering on it. So far, I have only soaked it in warm water, scrubbed it, and put rust converter on it. I would like to know what it is. Also, I am quite new to this hobby, so if anyone has any tips as to how to get this item even closer to its original forum, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Dillon

Front Side:
Bs4NNwWI0ZAiGVYd_bq3b5dgwMM3bb-9S9--qSTJ4NM.jpg pdFZ5ETSCXSVWfJPjxYqzs5KyfCa5WCyyJZNzSUIAk0.jpg QSg1TJ_iEF8YtYj8YfxFNuEWutvRe-qSGspR4CuP9n4.jpg R6gswl1vF0zfpgsn6PPLWoYHo1Xo6oAvMFXlfnq2gRU.jpg

Backside: aM6SxQpmrlxIIZJSqsldBmXqQGbGTXJVWYo-zkBxB7c.jpg

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you're digging in an old church yard, I would guess you are finding cast iron grave markers.

3428539_3ebee205.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

dillondonnelly

Tenderfoot
Dec 15, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it may read Excelsior, which was a brand of wood stoves.

Wow, that's absolutely crazy! I think that would actually make a lot of sense, because this village was was founded in 1847 and abandoned in the early 1900s. Thanks for your input!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

dillondonnelly

Tenderfoot
Dec 15, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I just went into the garage and checked it out, and I can definitely see the letters X-C-E-L-S-I. Thank you so much!!! Your devotion of time to a newbie is so accommodating!Do you have any clue as to what model of furnace this could be from?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sandskimmer

Jul 6, 2014
Lancaster, Pa
Detector(s) used
BH Discovery 2200, Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dillon,

Pertaining to your question about cleaning, I've found my best luck with electrolysis. If you have a basic knowledge of electronics (if you can wire a light fixture you can handle this) it will completely and quickly remove any dirt and rust from an iron object without removing any remaining base metal. Barring that, you could experiment with different acidic solutions, white vinegar being a common one. This process takes considerably longer (try weeks or months instead of a day) and will eat through the base metal as well as the rust if you're not careful.

Cheers and HH,

Will

Upvote 0

Sandskimmer

Jul 6, 2014
Lancaster, Pa
Detector(s) used
BH Discovery 2200, Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ben you must kill it at "spot the difference" and "where's Waldo" puzzles. Even knowing what to look for I still can't see "Excelsior" anywhere on there.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

dillondonnelly

Tenderfoot
Dec 15, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dillon,

Pertaining to your question about cleaning, I've found my best luck with electrolysis. If you have a basic knowledge of electronics (if you can wire a light fixture you can handle this) it will completely and quickly remove any dirt and rust from an iron object without removing any remaining base metal. Barring that, you could experiment with different acidic solutions, white vinegar being a common one. This process takes considerably longer (try weeks or months instead of a day) and will eat through the base metal as well as the rust if you're not careful.

Cheers and HH,

Will
Wow, thank you so much!

I am familiar with electrolysis, but is there a particular kind of metal I should use for the cathode(or anode? It's been a while haha) depending on the kind of metal this item is? Also, how long would you recommend I do the process for?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

dillondonnelly

Tenderfoot
Dec 15, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ben you must kill it at "spot the difference" and "where's Waldo" puzzles. Even knowing what to look for I still can't see "Excelsior" anywhere on there.

After seeing that, I checked the lettering in person. He must have the best eyesight in the world because I wasn't even able to see the letters in the photographs after he said that. But then, I went into the garage to check the lettering, and to my surprise, as clear as day I could see X-C-E-L-S-I.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions