Some new drop riffle sluices I made

Astrobouncer

Jun 21, 2009
So every time I go to Thermal City, Vein Mtn Gold Camp, or even Lucky Strike, and people see how effective my drop riffle sluice is, and how fast the cleanups, I always have people interested in a similar sluice. So I made a couple drop riffle sluices to sell. I figure I will ask 30 for the smaller sluice (32 inch) and 40 for the 4 foot ones. Because the wood for two costs about 15, and the paint is another 5, and it takes me 2-3 hours to make a smaller one, and more for the longer ones, since there's a decent amount of sanding involved. I don't have any power tools besides a table saw for the riffle designs which takes up a good bit of time there too.

My newest project is a drop riffle hybrid, which combines the easy cleanups of a drop riffle sluice, with some expanded metal + deep groove matting for fine gold retention as well. Its not done simply because I havent been able to locate a store in town that sells raised expanded metal, and I dont want to pay 16 bucks shipping to order some online.

The quarter shows the size of the grooves in the material for under the raised expanded metal when I get that.

Also, the hybrid sluice utilizes two boards, since i didn't want the raised expanded metal for the fines to stick up over the drop riffles and slow the water velocity, so the second part for the fine material is recessed under the main drop riffle.

Last picture is most of my sluices, minus the couple I made that I have given away already, and also missing is the two small sampling sluices I have done which are above and out of the picture.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Astrobouncer,
You have been one busy boy! There's enough riffles and riffle designs there that ANY size piece of gold will throw up its carrots and just drop dead in the water and you will never loose a single ultra fine piece or any nugget. Really though you've gone to a lot of work starting with all the planning for each new design and then executing your plans, good on ya! I would guess you've poured all your previous experimental results into these latest units and were I you, I would be chomping at the bit to get out and test each one.

Expanded metal - you might care to take a look at the 5 gallon bucket size paint roller strainer. Here in CA at Home Depot they cost about $3. They are not the strongest but they are available. That blue mat looks awesome! Where did you find that at and what was its original purpose??? Of course if that is confidential I can certainly appreciate that as you've put a lot of thought and effort into your designs and materials and it might be better that some of this info stay with you.

Please keep us updated on your in stream test results, I will be looking forward to reading your posts.

Regards and again KUDOS! :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumright::hello2: 63bkpkr

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Astro,
I was just rereading your post and looking at the pictures, I am so impressed and intrigued with your work!

Again, I may be asking for info that should not be given out so I will understand if there is no response but what supplier have you found for the expanded raised metal?

You know your market for these where you are however I think you should ask a little more for your sluices as each one is hand made and that labor is hours of your life used up. Just a thought.

63bkpkr

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
astro i really really like the riffle design..Did get take your idea from the canadian studies?drop riffles.. reverse off set riffles and some with gap/ nugget traps in between...good stuff i can tell by looking at it that its gonna work and keep alot of fines...so heres the thing i want a riffle board i can drop into my keene...and i found some pvc fenceposts at home depot.... they're white and like eightfeet long eight plus inches square i'm gonna get one and split it and bam!!! two eight foot sluices ready to have some of your custom riffle boards dropped in....hey CAMINO...ARE YOU SEEING THIS. any ways these fence posts are cheap like fifteen bucks here and theyre not heavy...anyone interested should check them out, my depot has them back past lumber near the roofing and other fence stuff.Anyhow im serious about buying riffles from you so pm me so we can discuss dimensions and prices i'd like to get the one for my keene in a few weeks if possible....thank goodness for the clarkson studies... thank godness for asto's tablesaw..and lack of social life....lol..just kiddin bud you rock :headbang: pm me.

TAKODA

Aug 19, 2008
Alabama
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I can see it now ....... Astro's Gold Prospecting supplies . We are panning out high prices here at Astro's . Before you buy ......... give us a try .

" ASTRO'S " .......... Your top source for all your gold prospecting needs .

Beer and boiled peanuts with every purchase .

When you hit it big don't forget your ole buddy Takoda . ;D :hello:

OP
OP
Astrobouncer

Astrobouncer

Jun 21, 2009
Thanks guys. I don't want to go into full time sluice making just yet, its just a hobby for now and another way to spend time when I cant prospect. Also I really enjoy working on these things for some reason. Probably because testing them is so much fun :P You are right, some of my designs and changes are based on the numerous studies floating around on the web, but most of it just comes from trial and error and seeing what works well.

The blue matting I got from a local company here in greenville called Industrial Rubber and Gasket. Me and one of my prospecting buddies went up there and were looking at the samples they had and didnt see anything. We asked the guy behind the counter if he had anything with a deep groove and he was gone for a few minutes and came back with a piece of that about 2 foot by 3 foot that had some cuts on just the edge, which he sold us for 10 dollars. Its good stuff. I dont know what they use it for but he says they should have more every couple of weeks or so. I still have plenty left but I still havent found a local supplier for the expanded raised metal. I plan to check out some of the bigger metal companies around here soon though. Like this week soon if I can.

Pville I will give ya a PM just let me know what size your looking for and what kind of design you want and I am sure I can handle the rest.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread