DSC00415.JPG
    89.8 KB · Views: 486
  • DSC00417.JPG
    DSC00417.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 474
Upvote 0
F

Felinepeachy

Hope you don't mind, I resized them for you. Very nice points you have there. Welcome to TreasureNet ;D

OP
OP
F

flintchasr

Oct 13, 2010
illinois
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4
Boots and walking stick
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont mind at all. If you don't mind me asking how did you do that. As you can tell I'm lacking a little in the attachment area.

Jim

F

Felinepeachy

flintchasr said:
I dont mind at all. If you don't mind me asking how did you do that. As you can tell I'm lacking a little in the attachment area.

Jim

I'll send you a pm with instructions

OP
OP
F

flintchasr

Oct 13, 2010
illinois
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4
Boots and walking stick
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found in Illinois around the alton area this year and last. I have many more those are just my favorites. Waiting for rain now. They are finally getting the crops out.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to t-net with a bang! Some very nice old artifacts you have there. Do you dind many paleo items in your area?
Happy Hunting,
TnMtns

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
Flippin Stick n good luck :)
your auriculate one looks like it has a impact fracture right b4 the tip, very cool!!!! beautiful pieces

OP
OP
F

flintchasr

Oct 13, 2010
illinois
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4
Boots and walking stick
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TnMountains said:
Welcome to t-net with a bang! Some very nice old artifacts you have there. Do you dind many paleo items in your area?
Happy Hunting,
TnMtns
We find quite a bit of paleo in the three counties I hunt. Mostly woodland and mississippian. However I have found several archaic and transitional points.

OP
OP
F

flintchasr

Oct 13, 2010
illinois
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4
Boots and walking stick
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
joshuaream said:
That Gainey/Clovis piece is great, looks like Hornstone to me but looks like Cobden.

Joshua
I'm not real good at identifying the stone types. I've been told it is indiana hornstone which is not found around my area. I was told it could have been a trade item and then used to make the point.

Jim

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Jim,

I wanted to say it looks like Hornstone WHICH ALSO looks like Cobden. Hornstone is found throughout Indiana/Kentucky, and it wouldn't be unexpected to find a paleo relic made from it in your area. If it's Cobden that would be a nice plus, as it's a very collectable material.

Again, great relics.

Joshua

flintchasr said:
joshuaream said:
That Gainey/Clovis piece is great, looks like Hornstone to me but looks like Cobden.

Joshua
I'm not real good at identifying the stone types. I've been told it is indiana hornstone which is not found around my area. I was told it could have been a trade item and then used to make the point.

Jim

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
Some (not all) Hopkinsville chert, when it isn't patinated, is known colloquially as "Kentucky Hornstone."

If you go by texture, gloss &c. the description fits.

OP
OP
F

flintchasr

Oct 13, 2010
illinois
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4
Boots and walking stick
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
uniface said:
Some (not all) Hopkinsville chert, when it isn't patinated, is known colloquially as "Kentucky Hornstone."

If you go by texture, gloss &c. the description fits.
[/quote Do you know of any books or websites that I could read to help me identify the different chert types? I really struggle with all the different types. We have some cool materials in my area and I'm always asked what type of stone they are made from.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread