What's new

Some points and other stuff

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Joined
Mar 24, 2013
Messages
2,882
Reaction score
3,005
Golden Thread
0
Location
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found the 3 quartz points on the top row today in the creek after a good rain last nite. Mostly I find broken points. I don't know my stones very well but the gray one looks like some type of granite.
 

Attachments

  • 100_6670.webp
    100_6670.webp
    300 KB · Views: 104
Upvote 0
Pretty nice stuff you've got there! :icon_thumright:
 
Thanks GaRebel1861! I'm hoping to find more and trying to learn the different types of points and having a great time finding new things in this creek on my property that I had no idea were even there...finding a pottery shard can really change the way one views things lol!
 
If you hang out here and post what you find, there are a lot of people that really know their stuff on this site and perhaps can help you with I.D.s. and other information that is of use to you. Good Luck!!!!!
 
I call that black one...black quartzite, I have some made of it. It seems kinda weak for making tools and points but I would guess when they used it thousands of yrs ago it must of been a much hardier stone then. Welcome to the site
 
Thanks rock! It's one of the nicer points I've found and it has a pretty spark of red or purple in it too.
 
Lets see some of your other points you have found.
 
Most of what I've found so far has been chipped or broken...there are alot of large rocks upstream from where I find these.
 

Attachments

  • 100_6672.webp
    100_6672.webp
    233 KB · Views: 150
These are some of the other stuff...the one on the right has sharp but not newly made edge on it and the center one looks like it's missing a point...maybe scrappers? Hard to tell in the pics though.
 

Attachments

  • 100_6673.webp
    100_6673.webp
    467.7 KB · Views: 86
Thank you bravowhiskey...I thoroughly love this forum! So much interesting information! Ya'll are awesome!
 
Quartz just doesnt hold up very well in the creeks if the current is strong. Quartz does seem to break down faster than chert or flint in those conditions. Looks like you saved those just in time.
 
The current can get pretty strong in that creek and I've found quite a few big things very eroded and am afraid they were some nice kind of tool. There's quite a bit of glass there too and it makes me sad to find broken up old bottles and this week I even found a piece of porcelain doll head. I have some large possible spear heads I'll post pics of tomorrow after work and will be checking the creek too since we're supposed to get more rain tonight. Thanks to everyone for helping me out this evening...I really appreciate it.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom