Some questions feom the newbie

Vikingblood

Sep 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I use my v3i at the beach It seems like I hit more targets if i press the coil flat right across the wet smooth sand ( if conditions Permit) since these things are going by continuity maybe it is making direct contact and therefore getting deeper. What do ya think

When you get a low vdi number do you kick a little soil away from over the top of the target to see if you get a better vdi number?

When people say do not arc you coil, do they mean arcing up into the air, or do not make an arcing pattern on the ground? because I keep my coil flat but usually make half moons that end on each side of my body.

Erik

cactusrat

Jun 27, 2012
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It’s the half moons at the end of the swing that most are talking about.

Yes, kicking/ pushing dirt off the top could gave you a better reading by getting a little closer. I do it myself some times.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I keep my coil at the same level all the way through my swing. If i start at 2" above the ground I finish at 2" and never raise it at the end of my swing. If you start at 2" and end you swing at 6"-8" you wasted a lot of area you thought you covered. You may want to slow you swing speed down a bit, you may end up finding more targets.

smittyman

Jun 6, 2012
Charlotte NC
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I understand your question - it seems that you swing with your coil level with the ground but in a "u" shape - i.e. the moon shapes - so that if looking down on you from above you would be stepping into the "u". I think most of us do it that way. Just keep the coil to the soil!
Don't know about your continuity question except to say that when you hold your coil directly on the ground as opposed to an inch or two above you're going to gain an inch or two of depth.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread