What's new

Some random pottery pieces found yesterday.

ROCKateer

Full Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2013
Messages
168
Reaction score
283
Golden Thread
0
Location
Shawnee, KS.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very cool. I just cleaned them. Three of the five are semi fragile. Other two you can see are still intact pieces. And more added as I got going with sorting. About 10 or more different styles/designs.
 

Attachments

  • image-1398519525.webp
    image-1398519525.webp
    84.9 KB · Views: 94
  • image-3415441876.webp
    image-3415441876.webp
    80.8 KB · Views: 90
  • image-3754472080.webp
    image-3754472080.webp
    101.4 KB · Views: 87
  • image-1420266131.webp
    image-1420266131.webp
    55.3 KB · Views: 92
  • image-2668613314.webp
    image-2668613314.webp
    35.1 KB · Views: 86
  • image-2832878115.webp
    image-2832878115.webp
    48.7 KB · Views: 89
  • image-3795715435.webp
    image-3795715435.webp
    58.1 KB · Views: 85
  • image-1195328936.webp
    image-1195328936.webp
    52 KB · Views: 84
  • image-4175263719.webp
    image-4175263719.webp
    47.2 KB · Views: 86
  • image-861542684.webp
    image-861542684.webp
    69.7 KB · Views: 86
  • image-952087053.webp
    image-952087053.webp
    35.9 KB · Views: 88
  • image-2759261816.webp
    image-2759261816.webp
    39.3 KB · Views: 91
  • image-2510554048.webp
    image-2510554048.webp
    46.6 KB · Views: 93
  • image-2538134684.webp
    image-2538134684.webp
    48 KB · Views: 89
  • image-2218143953.webp
    image-2218143953.webp
    45.4 KB · Views: 91
  • image-2690199312.webp
    image-2690199312.webp
    32.7 KB · Views: 86
  • image-2656292510.webp
    image-2656292510.webp
    37 KB · Views: 99
  • image-1521035420.webp
    image-1521035420.webp
    92.4 KB · Views: 87
  • image-2913986344.webp
    image-2913986344.webp
    75.3 KB · Views: 101
  • image-3073524443.webp
    image-3073524443.webp
    85 KB · Views: 90
  • image-628627006.webp
    image-628627006.webp
    85.4 KB · Views: 91
Upvote 0
Very neat finds! I may have missed it on an earlier thread but what region/areas do you hunt, in general terms?
 
Water or land finds? How do you clean your pottery? I didnt want to scrub on the ones I found cause I wasnt sure if it would remove the marks. Share if you would.
 
Rock.. Water and a soft bristle toothbrush.
If you have to scrub so hard You think you may take markings off that's just the color is going to stay.
Its fired ceramic it won't get soft when it's wet.

Nice finds ROCKateer.
 
Last edited:
ForumRunner_20130807_183521.webp
Sometimes they're stained..that's just the way it is.
 
Last edited:
I agree with GB, clean 'em. BTW you can use Gomer's solution (acetone/duco....) to preserve DRY pottery sherds. One of those, #15 looks like it's been done on a wheel, historic ware. I pick up rims, holed pieces, large pieces, incised/etc pieces, examples of types and materials, and baggies from spots where they might go back together. That still leaves an awful lot of sherds on sites!
 
And I thought I was the only one who did that.. that's the best way to do it Tom.
 
Very neat finds! I may have missed it on an earlier thread but what region/areas do you hunt, in general terms?

Thanks much. Northeast Kansas/Southwest Missouri / mostly Kansas City/Kansas River area.
 
Looks to be a limestone temper. Nice sherds I agree with Tom Clark one looks modern glazed like maybe from a crock.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom