What's new

Some sort of Funky light ? Solved

mojjax

Silver Member
Joined
Feb 27, 2005
Messages
4,564
Reaction score
4,092
Golden Thread
0
Location
MAINE
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's about 42'' long . I guess the thing at the top holds some sort of fuel ?
It has a ring for hanging on a wall .
What is it ?
Is it missing any parts ?
What type of fuel does it use ?
Thanks !
 

Attachments

  • Picture%20003.webp
    Picture%20003.webp
    59 KB · Views: 423
  • Picture%20004%20(3).webp
    Picture%20004%20(3).webp
    65.9 KB · Views: 440
  • Picture%20006.webp
    Picture%20006.webp
    58.4 KB · Views: 427
  • Picture%20010.webp
    Picture%20010.webp
    5.3 KB · Views: 434
Re: Some sort of Funky light ?

Hi,
Yes, this was either gasoline or kerosene fired. it would have had a nice glass shade on it, it looks like it might have had a wick for kerosene. I have seen several like this, but can't find a picture right now.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Some sort of Funky light ?

I'd suspect that this could be a carbide gas light. Water and carbide would be put into the sealable container and the valve would be used to control the gas. Since there doesn't seem to be a wick I'd think it could very well be gas. 2dgs
 
Upvote 0
Re: Some sort of Funky light ?

The first thing I thought of was carbide also...d2
 
Upvote 0
Re: Some sort of Funky light ?

I have a couple carbide miner lights - they both have the upper chamber for water , and the bottom chamber for the carbide rocks . The water drips on the carbide - creating the gas - to ignite the light .

This funky thing only has one tank .
 
Upvote 0
Re: Some sort of Funky light ?

It just doesn't work for me as a lamp - I'm WAGging, it's a Funky Heater, presumably for water.

Notice how the tubes are angled through the heated area
and then there's the in and out connections for the water (?) being heated,
as I've circled here

heater.2.webp

Whatever, it's definitely Funky - and I want one ;D

Mike
 
Upvote 0
Re: Some sort of Funky light ?

For the uneducated, water and carbide rocks make acetylene gas........be very careful with the fumes, this gas rises.....NGE
 
Upvote 0
Re: Some sort of Funky light ?

My guess:

Pressurized (pump) gasoline/kerosene wall lamp. Early 1900's. Is the "pump" cap missing from yours?

kdark-02.gif


DCMatt
 
Upvote 0
Re: Some sort of Funky light ?

I found it ! I found it in my reproduction 1895 Montgomery Ward Cataloge . The end on mine is upside down .
I was thinking of taking it apart & cleaning it up and seeing if it works .

Question ..... Is gasoline in 1895, the same stuff we use today ?

Don't worry, I'm not going to try it unless I know exactly what I'm doing first .
 

Attachments

  • Picture_002_(2).webp
    Picture_002_(2).webp
    40.3 KB · Views: 247
Upvote 0
mojjax said:
I found it ! I found it in my reproduction 1895 Montgomery Ward Cataloge . The end on mine is upside down .
I was thinking of taking it apart & cleaning it up and seeing if it works .

Question ..... Is gasoline in 1895, the same stuff we use today ?

Don't worry, I'm not going to try it unless I know exactly what I'm doing first .
Awesome !
the short answer to your question,
is check out your insurance,
before you light the fire :o

Mike
 
Upvote 0
You would probably want to use white gas the kind for Coleman lanterns. But, some of those old lamps used a 50/50 mix of gas/kerosene.
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Replies
11
Views
1K
  • Question Question
🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Odd brass piece
Replies
1
Views
836

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom