Something both very sad and very creepy

nathan104

Feb 23, 2006
Emory TX
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, AT Pro, propointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a picture of my finds. The brass plate, I didn't realize had anything on it until I cleaned it up a couple hours ago. Not sure how to feel about it. It wasn't near a cemetary or anything, just an empty lot in the middle of town. The large brass thing I'm not sure what it is, already posted it in the "What is it" forum. Also found 46 cents in clad and a 1940 wheat.

The brass plate reads

Horace Skidmore Jr
born April 12 1943
Died April 12 1943

I looked online and came up with a photo of his headstone which has the same inscription and that he was related to Reese Skidmore on the ancestry.com site but cant get any more info without being a member to that site. Don't know what area they were in, nothing comes up for my town. After posting the picture of my finds on facebook, my mom is telling me to take it back and rebury it. Anyone ever found anything like this?

Upvote 7
P1010613.JPGP1010615.JPG

Ive seen a few people post urns one found in a reuse store two who found the in the ocean on what is it. I agree with your mom if you try to contact the family it would probably open up old wounds if it is what it seems to be I once got a nice beep dug it up it was a coin size tag on a dead cat someone buried in the park that was creepy it still creeps me out !!!! I apologized to the dead cat and left skid marks outta there.

That actually looks like something that might have been on a tree a bench or drinking fountain ect you ve seen them on benches I'm sure I see those a lot at parks in memory of ect ya never know what you will find!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That actually looks like something that might have been on a tree a bench or drinking fountain ect you ve seen them on benches I'm sure I see those a lot at parks in memory of ect ya never know what you will find!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree

Nathan I agree with your mother and I would take the brass plate back to where you found it and rebury it - anyway congrats on your other finds and thanks for sharing & I wish you many more while out dirt fishing.

Texas ED
S/E Texas Gulf Coast

I believe the big brass ting is a horn or siren.

I agree with A2 on the tag.

Best of luck!

I agree with A2 on the tag. The holes in either side tell me it was screwed/nailed to something else, certainly not a headstone. If you found this in a park, I'm wondering if re-burying it would do any good, or simply pass the problem along to the next MDer. If you are of a mind to rebury it, you might take it to the cemetery groundskeeper and asked them to bury it at the grave site. That way it's where it belongs and will stay put. Just a thought.

Great finds.

R.I.P. Horace.

Not that you need anymore affirmation, but I too think the plate was on a park bench or something.
The parents wanted him to be remembered. They wanted his few hours in this life to matter. I would not bury
it, I would honor the memory.

Nathan, glad for your finds and the fact that you have someone that has helped you grow a conscience in the person of your mom. Sounds like your mom gave you wise counsel. I'll add one thought here: I am a pastor, and have had families do what A2coins has suggested...maybe the reason you found the plate where you found it...the bench or marker may be long gone, but you might have a chance to look up the location of this baby's grave and simply place it by the marker. If he is buried in your town of Emory or nearby, I think it would be a worthy gesture.

The child died during World War Two, when brass would have been a precious commodity, and unlikely used to mark a memorial site at that time. Several families that I have known have waited well after a funeral to put a memorial bench or marker in a special place to them at a later time, (in this case maybe after the war) when that particular metal was no longer in such high usage and demand....I will venture that is what you found.

Grateful again for your find, and the fact that you are willing to look into doing a responsible thing with this item. I wish you well.

There is a large tree in the lot I found the plate. I may go and nail it to that tree. Think it would be a good spot.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back