something interesting something unusual

lookin-for-treasure

Jun 30, 2013
West Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi guys,

Sorry I haven't posted any finds for a little while. I just haven't found anything good for a little while. This weekend I took my wife and daughter to the mountains for a little getaway. On the way there, I stopped us at some sales and found a few little knickknacks. It was getting later in the day and the wife wanted to get to where we were going. I saw one that I wanted to stop at but went on. This was on Saturday. On the way back today (Monday), that same place was still having a sale so I felt like I needed to stop. I was looking and saw this metal that looked interesting. As I picked it up the lady told me how she found it years ago while metal detecting and decided to sell it. She said I could have all the pieces found for 5.00. It looks like it could of been from World War 2 era but I really don't know. Everyone take a look at it and help me find out really what I have just purchased. It is definitely interesting.

Attachments

• 045.JPG
    045.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 143
  • 046.JPG
    046.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 126
  • 047.JPG
    047.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 125
  • 048.JPG
    048.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 115
  • 049.JPG
    049.JPG
    911.1 KB · Views: 115
  • 050.JPG
    050.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 102
  • 051.JPG
    051.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 102
  • 052.JPG
    052.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 86
  • 053.JPG
    053.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 107
  • 054.JPG
    054.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 106
Looks like you have parts of a sword handle and the top to a flag pole like they would have inside a building. The flag pole top thing is defiantly WW2 German. Not sure on the sword pommel parts that style was used by many different countries over the years. You might be able to figure it if it has a makers mark on it anywhere.

Thanks eccentric, this will help me in my search. There is a makers mark on the sword pommel parts but it's so small I can't make it out. I'm going to try to find a magnifying glass and will post what I find.

My guess would be that it is the topper, or handle for a walking stick/cane with the other fitting being the ferrule or tip of the stick. Possibly some type of ceremonial, or presentation cane. Just my two cents...

I think it is a topper or finial for a wood flag pole, probably used in a ceremony or parade.

I also wonder if it was made to be attached to a street light, or some other stand.

IMO, the piece looks too good to have been dug, but again, that just my opinion.

On second thought, was the curved brass part a holder that would have been worn on a belt by the person carrying the flag??

Well, there is nothing like posting 90% of the posts in a thread, LOL.

Again, the seller was telling you a tall tale. Your finial is too nice to have been dug, unless it was buried in April 29, 1945 and dug up in May 1, 1945.

My guess is that it is a "vet bring back", and the seller bought it out of an estate. I've been in this business long enough to know that many people/antique dealers won't touch a Nazi item for love nor money. Years ago, when I was just out of college, and broke as could be, I saw a near mint, high quality Nazi flag sell for a mere $90. It broke my heart not to be able to win it at the estate auction, but I had to make a house payment the next day, and had to feed myself. None of the antique dealers would bid on it, and it sold to a guy who "thought it might be worth something".

Another time, I saw a guy throw a hissy fit at an auction when they started to sell a Nazi flak gunners helmet, right there in front of the whole crowd.

You are going to have a hard time listing this on ebay. Ebay does not allow items with a swastika to be sold. You might try posting it as a BIN, and hope that ebay doesn't pull the ad. I know a seller that sold spoons with a swastika on the end all as a BIN; ebay went as far as cancelling the completed sales, and automatically refunded the buyers' monies. She listed those on a Saturday morning, and 8 of the 10 sold buy noon on Saturday, and by 5 PM that day, ebay had reversed and cancelled the transactions!!!!

BTW, Lookin', you are one lucky dog with that find!!!!

Last edited:
Thanks Clovis, I do believe it was a vet bring back. The more I look at it, the more I believe I'll hang onto it awhile. I don't usually hold on to anything but I guess when I look at this stuff I think of my grandfather who fought in World War II. He fought in the pacific, mostly Guam, New Guinea, and the other islands. Sadly, I don't have any of his stuff. He had three bronze stars. I only have the stories he told me in my mind now that he is gone. He left all his stuff on a side of the street when he got back. I guess he wanted to move on.

Thanks Clovis, I do believe it was a vet bring back. The more I look at it, the more I believe I'll hang onto it awhile. I don't usually hold on to anything but I guess when I look at this stuff I think of my grandfather who fought in World War II. He fought in the pacific, mostly Guam, New Guinea, and the other islands. Sadly, I don't have any of his stuff. He had three bronze stars. I only have the stories he told me in my mind now that he is gone. He left all his stuff on a side of the street when he got back. I guess he wanted to move on.

My grandfather was a Marine during WWII, and saw action on the Solomon Islands, Iwo Jima, and several other islands. I still can't believe that he set all of his uniforms and helmet out for the trash sometime during the early 1980's. I was heartsick to hear of it months later, after the fact.

Since you are a family member, you should apply for his Bronze stars and service record.

I really would like that. My other grandfather fought in the Korean war two different times. He was awarded a silver star. I do have his records and hanging on to them to give to my kids someday when the time is right. Thanks for your help.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back