South Fork of the Stanislaus

Drawman

Jul 17, 2013
Central Valley
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ok, I'm confused. I was out driving around today and went down to the south fork. It is all posted no trespassing!?!? I had no idea that area was private property. I hadn't been down there in ages decided to take a drive. There is a huge house built on the river (up stream from the bridge), access is by automatic gate. If you stand on the bridge and look upstream, you can see a stack of rocks on a large boulder, maybe a discovery mark? I dunno I thought that was all Hetch Hetchy down stream from Lyons dam?? No claim markers or signs other than the stack of rocks. I walked a bit down stream and didn't see anything else. There was a family there fishing. A bit more traffic on the South Fork road these days too.
So if anyone knows anything, let me know. I had heard of people putting up no trespassing signs on their claims.

Upvote 0

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You would need to get a Forest Service Map to sort it out. It looks like about 5 miles of river above Lyons dam is private a little south of it. Still a lot of forest land on that river. And yes, Hetch Hetchy is on the Tuolumne.

OP
OP
D

Drawman

Jul 17, 2013
Central Valley
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You would need to get a Forest Service Map to sort it out. It looks like about 5 miles of river above Lyons dam is private a little south of it. Still a lot of forest land on that river. And yes, Hetch Hetchy is on the Tuolumne.

Ha! always nice to be reminded how old I'm getting! but I set myself up for it! ok PG&E.....I think I'll call the Forest Service and the Sheriff on Monday to see what they know.

I think I had Hetch Hetchy stuck in my head because I went to Moccasin Creek/Lake before driving up to South Fork.....wait, I got that one right didn't I? Told ya I was confused..lol

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can pick up a forest map at a forest service office (Groveland, Sonora etc.)

If you find yourself in Moccasin again drive through. Its pretty neat. The main building reminds me of something Julia Morgan would have designed but there is no mention of her. She did the Hearst Castle and the Asilomar Confrence grounds in Pacific Grove.

OP
OP
D

Drawman

Jul 17, 2013
Central Valley
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You can pick up a forest map at a forest service office (Groveland, Sonora etc.)

If you find yourself in Moccasin again drive through. Its pretty neat. The main building reminds me of something Julia Morgan would have designed but there is no mention of her. She did the Hearst Castle and the Asilomar Confrence grounds in Pacific Grove.

Yes, she did alot in the Berkeley area too. Arts and Crafts movement. I love Arts and Crafts/Craftsman styles, my favorite. Contrary to my earlier posts, I'm kinda familiar with the area, I grew up hunting bear around big oak flat and hunted raccoon all over the place (Jawbone Ridge, etc.) I gave up hunting when I graduated from high school. Have always fished all over the sierras and still do. I enjoy just getting out of the valley.

OP
OP
D

Drawman

Jul 17, 2013
Central Valley
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ok update. I spoke with the Mi-Wok ranger station and most of the land at the south fork bridge in behind Twain Hart is private or owned by a lumber company. Funny, the DFG still plants trout there. anyway, thought I would answer my own question.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ok update. I spoke with the Mi-Wok ranger station and most of the land at the south fork bridge in behind Twain Hart is private or owned by a lumber company. Funny, the DFG still plants trout there. anyway, thought I would answer my own question.

The lumber company might be welcoming of a rock hound and mineral collector (you) who is bold enough to ask permission to be on their land. Can't hurt to ask!

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you look at a map? I get wrong answers and a lot of 'I don't know's' when I ask.

If true the lumber company is probably Sierra Pacific. I can't imagine they would really mind a recreational prospector but if you do ask I'd bet their liability issues would lean toward a no. Never know tho.

OP
OP
D

Drawman

Jul 17, 2013
Central Valley
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Put in a call to Sierra Pacific, to a couple of their foresters and no response yet. I think they are all too busy with the rim fire. When things settle down, I'll call again

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions