Southern Illinois..HUGE COLLECTION NEEDS YOUR HELP!

salukihunter

Jan 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All,

This is my first post on the site and soon to be many more. I have been a non-active artifact hunter in my days strolling through the woods. I have found a few artifacts however my father-in-law just passed on his enormous collection to me. I am an environmental educator an use these artifacts solely for the purpose of educating those in my programs however after the inheritance it is now up to us to go through the identification process to get information on history and origin as well as monetary appraisal for insurance purposes. I will be allowing the university and USFS archeologists to also appraise the collection however it would be nice to get second opinions from all of you. This will be the first of many posts of all types of artifacts from the collection however I will start with this piece from my personal collection.

Found: During spring thaw in a sandstone shelter bluff drip line. Bluff looked very much like a large area for inhabitation site and i know from others that there have been multiple artifacts found at this bluff.

Color: Deep Red with striation to White or Cream. Unlike coloring of other chert found in the area.

Other Notes: Still very sharp. clean break on dovetail. found broken.

photo.jpg

Upvote 0
We will have to start with where you found that point. What state? Also... Good luck getting an Archi To appraise artifacts.. Normally they're not in the business Of placing monetary value On historical items.

salukihunter. congrats on getting you father in laws collection. I wouldn't waste my time with any Archies if you are actually interested in what are worth. They won't give you a monetary value on them. Unless you plan to sell them I don't know why you would want to know their value anyway.

The Point you posted would be hard to ID since it has no base. It could have been a Corner Notch type, a Side Notch type, or a Stemmed Point and from any time frame.

Last edited:
Southern Illinois has some beautiful artifacts. Points are worth very little if the base is broken off. I am sure we can help I.D the whole points though. Good picture and congratulations on your new collection and welcome to T-Net.

Where in Southern IL are you all from? We have family land in Gallatin County. Looking forward to seeing your new collection.

Welcome to Tnet and sorry to hear of your family loss. I hope you can post some of those other artifacts you have. The Archies can tell you want type they are but then you will have decide on the price from there. The color and size is most of the value of course workmanship really helps. Then what I would do is check P-bay to see what they have posted. Most on there are field grade so that will be the bottom $. Good Luck! rock

Man that just sounds so shallow... I sure hope there is more to it than that in some cases.(selling) Reminds me of a ditzy girl car shopping.... " I'll take the pretty blue one Mr."

Last edited:
Not really

Kinda seems to me using eBay as a benchmark for the value of a historical item would be like using a garage sale to calculate suggested retail price.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back