Sov GT--Anyone have heavy experience using meter and consider it "indespensable"

Gilligan

Bronze Member
Sep 23, 2007
Seymour Johnson AFB, NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, Deteknix Scuba Tector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sov GT--Anyone have heavy experience using meter and consider it "indespensable"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have considered getting a meter for it, but am wondering who has extensive experience with one and who would not operate without one. How accurate are they and what numbers correspond with what finds? I heard that Coiltek came out with a newer digital meter too, anyone have any info on it and where you can get one? Thanks for any experience anyone can share, Bryan

NeilinFR

Oct 11, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 ltd
Minelab Etrac
Xterra 705
Shadow X5
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Re: Sov GT--Anyone have heavy experience using meter and consider it "indespensable"

comisoas said:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have considered getting a meter for it, but am wondering who has extensive experience with one and who would not operate without one. How accurate are they and what numbers correspond with what finds? I heard that Coiltek came out with a newer digital meter too, anyone have any info on it and where you can get one? Thanks for any experience anyone can share, Bryan

I have yet to see either the meter or probe by Coiltek and Im not sure why they arent promoting it more. I visit enough detecting forums and have never seen one advertised or talked about except for Sandmans post here.
The only probe I know about for the Sov GT (inline probe) is the Sunray one, that is available as new right now I mean.
The only meter I know of is the Minelab digisearch meter that is available right now as new. You can locate older model Sunrays and also there was an Avenger meter but neither is being made anymore.
I use the minelab meter myself and use it most times when I hunt with my Sov. It is an extremely accurate meter, even at depth. I calibrate mine to 180 on a quarter and that is the number I will get on a quarter, dime and copper penny. Zinc pennies usually ring in at 177.
Meters are great time savers, you just have to learn how to use one properly and in conjunction with the tones.
With the Sov meter if you can isolate the target by the Sov wiggle or changing your position you can get accurate readings to close to full depth. Now that is not possible on other detectors Ive had that had meters such as the MXT or even another detector I have, the Xterra 70. Ive read the great accuracy of the meter is a benefit of the multi freq operation and I tend to believe that as the detectors that I have used over time that have had the best ID at depth are the Explorer, Sov and CZs......all multi freq detectors.
I have my GT mounted on an Elite rod so its easy to view the meter.
HH
Neil
attached is a pic of a graph a gentlemen posted on another forum that gives you an idea of what falls where on the 180 meters for the Sov.

Attachments

• 180label.jpg
    180label.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 1,047
  • 180label.jpg
    180label.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 797
  • 180label.jpg
    180label.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 860
  • 180label.jpg
    180label.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 813
OP
OP
Gilligan

Gilligan

Bronze Member
Sep 23, 2007
Seymour Johnson AFB, NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Sov GT--Anyone have heavy experience using meter and consider it "indespensable"

NeilinFR said:
comisoas said:

I have yet to see either the meter or probe by Coiltek and Im not sure why they arent promoting it more. I visit enough detecting forums and have never seen one advertised or talked about except for Sandmans post here.
The only probe I know about for the Sov GT (inline probe) is the Sunray one, that is available as new right now I mean.
The only meter I know of is the Minelab digisearch meter that is available right now as new. You can locate older model Sunrays and also there was an Avenger meter but neither is being made anymore.
I use the minelab meter myself and use it most times when I hunt with my Sov. It is an extremely accurate meter, even at depth. I calibrate mine to 180 on a quarter and that is the number I will get on a quarter, dime and copper penny. Zinc pennies usually ring in at 177.
Meters are great time savers, you just have to learn how to use one properly and in conjunction with the tones.
With the Sov meter if you can isolate the target by the Sov wiggle or changing your position you can get accurate readings to close to full depth. Now that is not possible on other detectors Ive had that had meters such as the MXT or even another detector I have, the Xterra 70. Ive read the great accuracy of the meter is a benefit of the multi freq operation and I tend to believe that as the detectors that I have used over time that have had the best ID at depth are the Explorer, Sov and CZs......all multi freq detectors.
I have my GT mounted on an Elite rod so its easy to view the meter.
HH
Neil
attached is a pic of a graph a gentlemen posted on another forum that gives you an idea of what falls where on the 180 meters for the Sov.

Thanks for the great information, and the photos. It is truly funny that there is not more advertisments for the newer Digimeter, but perhaps more info will come out soon, or maybe it is erroneous information. Bryan

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks for the great information, and the photos. It is truly funny that there is not more advertisments for the newer Digimeter, but perhaps more info will come out soon, or maybe it is erroneous information. Bryan
Posted on: Today at 03:56:11 PM

It is not erroneous information. The new part number is #3012-0084. Most Minelab dealers can get them if they got the new price lists from Minelab. Just make sure if you order that you specify the new number or you could just get the old one. Natch they would want to unload the old models first before they order the new one. Kellyco is on a six month back order for it.

You can contact Sylvania Metal Detectors, 6626 Monroe St., OH. phone number 1-419-885-7191

The picture is from Mike of VA beach on Find's Treasure Forums in the Minelab Sov and Excal section. Mike likes his. Here is his numbers and he suggests you laminate it and tape it on top of the meter till you get them memorized.

180-177 1¢, 10¢, 25¢, Large Cent 176-173 Zn 1¢, IH 1¢(Br), Half Dime
172-169 Square Tab, Med Gold
168-165 Round Tab, Small Gold
164-160 2½ Gold, IH 1¢, (Copper)
159-147 Round Tab, Small Gold
146-141 New 5¢, Small Gold
140-137 5¢ Buffalo/V-Nick/Shield
136-133 Small Gold
132-129 $1 Gold
128-117 Small Gold
116-106 Foil, Fine Gold
105-095 3¢, Fine Gold
094-065 Foil, Fine Gold
-498 Iron

Sandman

OP
OP
Gilligan

Gilligan

Bronze Member
Sep 23, 2007
Seymour Johnson AFB, NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sandman said:
Posted on: Today at 03:56:11 PM

It is not erroneous information. The new part number is #3012-0081. Most Minelab dealers can get them if they got the new price lists from Minelab. Just make sure if you order that you specify the new number or you could just get the old one. Natch they would want to unload the old models first before they order the new one. Kellyco is on a six month back order for it.

You can contact Sylvania Metal Detectors, 6626 Monroe St., OH. phone number 1-419-885-7191

The picture is from Mike of VA beach on Find's Treasure Forums in the Minelab Sov and Excal section. Mike likes his. Here is his numbers and he suggests you laminate it and tape it on top of the meter till you get them memorized.

180-177 1¢, 10¢, 25¢, Large Cent 176-173 Zn 1¢, IH 1¢(Br), Half Dime
172-169 Square Tab, Med Gold
168-165 Round Tab, Small Gold
164-160 2½ Gold, IH 1¢, (Copper)
159-147 Round Tab, Small Gold
146-141 New 5¢, Small Gold
140-137 5¢ Buffalo/V-Nick/Shield
136-133 Small Gold
132-129 $1 Gold
128-117 Small Gold
116-106 Foil, Fine Gold
105-095 3¢, Fine Gold
094-065 Foil, Fine Gold
-498 Iron

Sandman

Thanks for the update, I guess it is just some sad advertising. You are the only person I have heard of that knows anything about it. Thanks again, B

hsjrev

Jul 27, 2007
W. TN

Sandman said:
It is not erroneous information. The new part number is #3012-0081. Most Minelab dealers can get them if they got the new price lists from Minelab. Just make sure if you order that you specify the new number or you could just get the old one. Natch they would want to unload the old models first before they order the new one. Kellyco is on a six month back order for it.

In your other post, you gave a part number of #3012-0084 for the new one???

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

In your other post, you gave a part number of #3012-0084 for the new one???

You are right. I must not beable to read my own writing. Thanks for pointing it out to me so I can correct it. The part number is indeed 3012-0084

Sandman

sandsifter

Dec 14, 2007
Rockport Texas
Detector(s) used
SOV GT, EXCAL 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks for the numbers

john37115

Nov 8, 2007
Tennessee, USA
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, F75, Nautilus dmc IIb, Custom Soveriegn, Pro XL, Classic IV, IDX, Compass Gold Scanner Pro

I have been using the Minelab Digisearch 180 on my GT for about a year now and have found it to be very accurate. If your in areas with alot of trash targets with semi-high pitch tones, the meter makes it a breeze to pick out the coins. It also makes the occasional rusty iron that gives false high tones easy to distinguish by not giving a solid + reading and will bounce back and forth to negative #'s. Be careful not to get lazy with the meter and go for just the 177-180 signals on copper and silver. I have found some older wheat's in the 167-168 range and nickels from 137-150 and some early merc's as low as 175.
With the meter you'll be picking coins out of trashy areas where other guys are scratching there heads.

NeilinFR

Oct 11, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 ltd
Minelab Etrac
Xterra 705
Shadow X5
Primary Interest:

john37115 said:
I have been using the Minelab Digisearch 180 on my GT for about a year now and have found it to be very accurate. If your in areas with alot of trash targets with semi-high pitch tones, the meter makes it a breeze to pick out the coins. It also makes the occasional rusty iron that gives false high tones easy to distinguish by not giving a solid + reading and will bounce back and forth to negative #'s. Be careful not to get lazy with the meter and go for just the 177-180 signals on copper and silver. I have found some older wheat's in the 167-168 range and nickels from 137-150 and some early merc's as low as 175.
With the meter you'll be picking coins out of trashy areas where other guys are scratching there heads.
Well said John. Those are good points.
HH
Neil

guzz1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2007
Sarasota
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 . Carrot
Primary Interest:
Re: Sov GT--Anyone have heavy experience using meter and consider it "indespensa

I just got mine today . calibrate 180 on a quarter , I got no instructions so I'm in the dark. I hope I'm right.. according to this thread is working right .. the chart you got there is very helpful ,, now I just go out play with it . I just got kick off the soccer field ,, some old dude that doesn't understand the laws here in Sarasota or the English language . Its city property. I have right to hunt there but I didn't want get confrontational with the old @#!%$^&. So I'll try it out at the beach tomorrow... Guzz1

OP
OP
Gilligan

Gilligan

Bronze Member
Sep 23, 2007
Seymour Johnson AFB, NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Sov GT--Anyone have heavy experience using meter and consider it "indespensa

guzz1 said:
I just got mine today . calibrate 180 on a quarter , I got no instructions so I'm in the dark. I hope I'm right.. according to this thread is working right .. the chart you got there is very helpful ,, now I just go out play with it . I just got kick off the soccer field ,, some old dude that doesn't understand the laws here in Sarasota or the English language . Its city property. I have right to hunt there but I didn't want get confrontational with the old @#!%$^&. So I'll try it out at the beach tomorrow... Guzz1

Man that sucks, but I too know the feeling :-\

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread