What's new

SoWeGa Banner stone

kinchafoonee

Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2013
Messages
314
Reaction score
373
Golden Thread
0
Location
SoWeGa
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
From same farm as two others banner and the bead I posted. Personally found in two pieces, in the same area of field, years apart.
 

Attachments

  • b.webp
    b.webp
    18.7 KB · Views: 159
  • DSC03641.webp
    DSC03641.webp
    131.2 KB · Views: 180
  • DSC03642.webp
    DSC03642.webp
    98.3 KB · Views: 157
  • DSC03643.webp
    DSC03643.webp
    123.3 KB · Views: 137
Upvote 0
It still amazes me that you actually found both halves.
 
It still amazes me that you actually found both halves.

I know, right! As someone said on another forum, it was meant for me to find'em. Friends were with me each time, and they could just have easily found them.
 
voodoo moment. Very nice, looks like it has wood grain. The artifact gods were with you.
 
voodoo moment. Very nice, looks like it has wood grain. The artifact gods were with you.

It is a banded material. I have other hardstone artifacts made from same stuff.
 
I get excited to find a scraper. I dont know how I would act to find something like that. Very nice
 
It is a banded material. I have other hardstone artifacts made from same stuff.

That's not hardstone bud, that's banded slate. GREAT find none the less.. CONGRATS.. HH
 
just from your pictures I would lose a bet that those are not wooden. Even the nicks and split!
 
That's not hardstone bud, that's banded slate. GREAT find none the less.. CONGRATS.. HH

Thanks fishstick. Looks hardstone to me. The slate points I have seen from Ga are soft, crude with no signs of knapping. We found two slate points on the farm this banner came from and they were patina-ed a blue-green gray. Looked as if they were ground into shaped rather than knapped. I have found and seen a very few slate points over the years found in south Ga. But of course I am no expert.
 
Thanks fishstick. Looks hardstone to me. The slate points I have seen from Ga are soft, crude with no signs of knapping. We found two slate points on the farm this banner came from and they were patina-ed a blue-green gray. Looked as if they were ground into shaped rather than knapped. I have found and seen a very few slate points over the years found in south Ga. But of course I am no expert.

lol. no expert here either but very few slate points turn up for that very reason(soft).Hardstone piece's such as (banner's,pendent's,gorget's) tend to hold more value because there are fewer of them found. Luck was def on your side to find both halves and again CONGRATS... HH
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom