What's new

SoWeGa restored bead found by a friend

kinchafoonee

Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2013
Messages
314
Reaction score
373
Golden Thread
0
Location
SoWeGa
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Found on the same farm as the three banners.
 

Attachments

  • Copy of 09-164.webp
    Copy of 09-164.webp
    4 KB · Views: 163
Upvote 0
That is a large bead.
 
That is a large bead.

It is Rock. The half was as big or bigger than most Jasper beads I have seen from our area. Never have lucky enough to find a bead myself.
 
I hear ya. I havent found any type of decoration at all in the places where I have found artifacts ever. Most of the points I find as in multiples are Archaic period. I guess they didnt really care about nothing but eating.
 
I hear ya. I havent found any type of decoration at all in the places where I have found artifacts ever. Most of the points I find as in multiples are Archaic period. I guess they didnt really care about nothing but eating.

Same here, most of the stuff we have found through the years was archaic. I think most of the decorations are Woodland to mainly Mississippian. I did fond a small portion of a gorget on the farm the bead and banner stones I have posted. My friend who found this bead, also found one other complete bead, and one that was complete, but partially drilled. All three made of red jasper. Also all in one end of a small field, the same area the banner I posted that I found in two pieces, years apart.
 
Sometimes I will find allot of tools and maybe 1 or 2 points all in one spot maybe 10ft x 10ft area. I was thinking it might of been a kill spot for their animal. Whats you take on it? I have found at least 8 spots like this in the fields I hunt. I dont think it would of been a camp site but I guess it is possible. Then other places just scattered here and there.
 
That's possible, but I would think perhaps a small cache. The old man had some stuff hid in the corner of his hut, forgot about it, died, what ever, and the plow scatters it.

It's fun to imagine how artifacts got there, and what they were used for.

We were scratching around in a rock shelter years ago, found a flat rock, rolled it over an there was a beautiful point under it. I'm quite sure it was placed there for safe keeping, 5,000 yrs. later I find it. Blows my mind.
 
Sometimes I will find allot of tools and maybe 1 or 2 points all in one spot maybe 10ft x 10ft area. I was thinking it might of been a kill spot for their animal. Whats you take on it? I have found at least 8 spots like this in the fields I hunt. I dont think it would of been a camp site but I guess it is possible. Then other places just scattered here and there.

Very well could be. Hard to read a field that has been plowed for decades. Stuff gets scattered, and pieces from different strata, time periods, get all mixed together and spread over large areas.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom