Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was in the 30's here in my area of NC this afternoon, but I had to get out. I only had a few hours to detect so I hit a place close to home that I just gained permission to a few weeks ago. It was built in the 1800's and has many acres of soybean fields behind it and across the street. My first trip here yielded an ornate silver pocketwatch cover and a 1940 Merc. Today was my second time here and after digging up some coins (modern & one wheat) and a few relics in the yard, I took to the back field. Digging a few pieces of crappe' (trash) out in the field and freezing my backside off :o I set my discrimination way up to weed out the junk. I started to work my way back towards the house and got a good signal. Here's the results of that wonderful signal:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLTK5e56uW4

It turned out to be a 1945 Standing Walking Liberty half. :hello2: Not really old or rare, but it is my first large silver after all these years of detecting. :icon_thumleft: I love detecting in large fields and finding something decent out in the middle of nowhere. It's a great feeling. :love4:

Any idea what the latch looking thing is? It says "O.T. Co. - Pat. 1898 , 1903, 1914."
SOLVED:
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php?topic=371456.msg2637271#msg2637271

Thanks for looking,
Frozen Miner ;D

Attachments

• DSCN4001.JPG
    DSCN4001.JPG
    93.3 KB · Views: 2,107
  • DSCN4002.JPG
    DSCN4002.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 2,104
  • MVC-178S.JPG
    MVC-178S.JPG
    29.8 KB · Views: 2,100
  • MVC-176S.JPG
    MVC-176S.JPG
    26.4 KB · Views: 2,108
  • MVC-177S.JPG
    MVC-177S.JPG
    26.6 KB · Views: 2,100
  • MVC-179S.JPG
    MVC-179S.JPG
    28.6 KB · Views: 2,092
  • MVC-180S.JPG
    MVC-180S.JPG
    28.1 KB · Views: 2,088
  • MVC-181S.JPG
    MVC-181S.JPG
    22.6 KB · Views: 2,082
  • MVC-182S.JPG
    MVC-182S.JPG
    38.2 KB · Views: 2,079
  • MVC-183S.JPG
    MVC-183S.JPG
    29.5 KB · Views: 2,079
Upvote 0
OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks HD. I seem to have better luck at finding relics rather than old coins. -MM-

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrat's Doug....Gotta love those wide-open field find's :thumbsup: Merry Christmas and a Prosperous New Year to you and your's :icon_santa:

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
civilman1 said:
Congrat's Doug....Gotta love those wide-open field find's :thumbsup: Merry Christmas and a Prosperous New Year to you and your's :icon_santa:

Thanks Joe.
Field hunting is trying and exciting all at once. Going up and down rows getting caught on stubble, and hoping you are in a "good row", and then "BAM" out of nowhere that beautiful signal screams in your ear. You dig the hole and there is that beautiful Hooter's girl shotgun shell brass silver coin looking back at you. Ahhhhhhh, that's why all love this hobby. :occasion14:

I hope you and your family have a great Christmas Joe.
-Doug the Redneck Reindeer-

Colonial Copper Zeus said:
Good job Doug. There is something about a large silver coin gleaming up at you to make the day special. Merry Xmas. :thumbsup:
Chris

Thanks Chris. I'll never forget the site of that big silver coin in that dirt. :thumbsup: I went back Sunday and scanned that area hoping the farmer had a hole in his pocket ;D but no such luck. Lot's of acres to cover out there. Back at it tomorrow for a few hours. :thumbsup: Merry Christmas.
Did you get Kyle & Kirk matching elf or pink bunny outfits? Colonial ones of course. :tongue3: :laughing9:

-Doug-

B|lker

Apr 3, 2006
Raleigh, NC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 And
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ModernMiner said:
Thanks HD. I seem to have better luck at finding relics rather than old coins. -MM-

Nice finds Dug :thumbsup:
I`ll have to say i like the relics as much as the coins.
Happy Holidays to you and your family.

B|lker

SkyPirate

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
Raleigh North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice silver Doug! Did you see my latest find? (check the banner 1810) I have to get back out soon. :icon_pirat:

Sim_Player

Jan 12, 2010
Camano Island, Wa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Tesoro Cutlass2
Makes me want to move back to VA.

The Seattle digs are far an few between.

I bagged a Silver Washington Quarter and a War nickel this last year, modern jewerly was more common but no gold.

I should change my icon to a begger w/ a metal detector.

~Sim

spitfire55

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2008
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used
(Whites) MXT, MXT PRO, SURF PRO/PI and COINMASTER 5500/D, (Fisher) GOLDBUG. AT PRO(Garrett), CTX 3030(Mine Lab).
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
B|lker said:
ModernMiner said:

Nice finds Dug :thumbsup:
I`ll have to say i like the relics as much as the coins.
Happy Holidays to you and your family.

B|lker

Thanks Bill. Same to you. :thumbsup:
-Doug-

SkyPirate said:
Nice silver Doug! Did you see my latest find? (check the banner 1810) I have to get back out soon. :icon_pirat:

Thanks Joe.
No, but I'll check it out. I don't know how I missed it. 1810- WOW!!! :thumbsup:
-Doug-

Sim_Player said:
I should change my icon to a begger w/ a metal detector.

~Sim

Hilarious! :laughing9:
Thanks Sim.

Kyle PA

May 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
Dug, I still remember my first Walker. I was thrillled when I saw what it was.

I love the vid!

Sir Kyle

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hunter said:
Real nice walker!!! :thumbsup:

Thanks Hunter.
It may have been preserved by soy oil? :tongue3: :laughing9:
-MM-

Kyle PA said:
Dug, I still remember my first Walker. I was thrillled when I saw what it was.

I love the vid!

Sir Kyle

Thanks Buddy. :icon_thumleft:
You sure you didn't toss yours into the weeds once you found out it wasn't a Colonial? :laughing9:
Hard to believe this coin is worth $10.50 melt value! I need to find 100 more. ;D
-Doug-

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WTG Doug on finding that Walker out in the middle of such a large field. :thumbsup: Those are so fun to find. That 1945 must have been a good year as I found 2 already. That field should keep you busy for a while until the snow strikes again. There may have been something there at one time. Too bad you didn't have any old maps from around there. Have yourself a wonderful Holiday :icon_sunny:

rwsnc

Jun 30, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Xterra 70, Compass Relic Magnum 7a, Compass Coin Magnum, Garrett AT Pro (Sold)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats, Doug. When I started detecting back in the 70s, the 2nd silver that I found was a Walker, like that. I was hooked from that point on. Very nice.

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
crazyjarhead said:
WTG Doug on finding that Walker out in the middle of such a large field. :thumbsup: Those are so fun to find. That 1945 must have been a good year as I found 2 already. That field should keep you busy for a while until the snow strikes again. There may have been something there at one time. Too bad you didn't have any old maps from around there. Have yourself a wonderful Holiday :icon_sunny:

Thanks Ron.
I think they made about 31 million that year so no wonder they pop up. ;D It was fairly close to where the path cuts through to the upper soybean field, so I've been concentrating on that area since I dug it. Hopefully there was a hole in the farmers pocket that day. :dontknow:
Across the road in another soybean field I was told there used to be a house. I haven't even hit that yet. Found two rings in the front yard the last two hunts. Both gold plated. :'( The oldest coins I found so far only go into the 1940's.

Have a great holiday buddy. :icon_santa:
-Doug-

rwsnc said:
Congrats, Doug. When I started detecting back in the 70s, the 2nd silver that I found was a Walker, like that. I was hooked from that point on. Very nice.

Thanks Bob.
I wish I would have started detecting back in the 70's instead of partying. Probably a lot more productive. :laughing7:
It amazes me to think people used to tote these big coins around in their pockets. How about the days when real silver dollars were used in slot machines! :o I struggle finding big silver, so I can't even imagine coming across a GOLD coin.
Have a great holiday and PLEASE don't let Bill dress up like Santa. It will scare the cr-p out of the kids!
-Doug-

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
CONGRATULATIONS DOUG :headbang: :hello2: :notworthy: :icon_thumleft:

Quite a thrill to find that Walker, wasn't it? I haven't been on here much lately, but I saw your post and wanted to say "Hi" and hope you and your family have a Merry Christmas.

Take care,
Nat

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Natman said:
CONGRATULATIONS DOUG :headbang: :hello2: :notworthy: :icon_thumleft:

Quite a thrill to find that Walker, wasn't it? I haven't been on here much lately, but I saw your post and wanted to say "Hi" and hope you and your family have a Merry Christmas.

Take care,
Nat

Nat buddy!!!!!!! :hello2:
Long time no hear big guy. I hope you are doing great. Yeah, after four years I finally found a large silver. ;D I sure wasn't expecting to find my 1st out in a soybean field. :thumbsup:
Merry Christmas to you and I hope to see you posting again in 2011.
-Doug-

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What? You're not going to tell 'em about your belt plate? :tongue3: :D

Top Member Reactions