Spanish American War

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found a Lapel pin that says Spanish American War Veteran. It has the makers mark on back. I know what it is but would love any additional history of the pin

Thanks MackDog F2959417-07A6-42C8-8A85-1033432DB7E4.jpeg F2959417-07A6-42C8-8A85-1033432DB7E4.jpeg F2959417-07A6-42C8-8A85-1033432DB7E4.jpeg F6A1B46C-8F9D-44F3-8BAA-DB4278A6081D.jpeg 5C4EB263-4628-4AC7-BA18-6803CB848C0D.jpeg

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
It's an (unofficial) lapel pin made by veteran's groups and is a copy of the US Spanish-American War Medal. Some were made from material salvaged from the USS Maine, and are marked with USS Maine. They were made so veterans could wear the pin on their civilian clothes and show they served and fought in the SAW. A lot like the Grand Army of the Republic did following the Civil War.

The sinking of the USS Maine was a catalyst for the SA War, as the Spanish occupiers based in Cuba were blamed for it. Later it was discovered that the USS Maine sinking was not an act of sabotage, but an unfortunate accident.

As you know it's made/marked Makers, Jos Mayer Inc Seattle

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's an (unofficial) lapel pin made by veteran's groups and is a copy of the US Spanish-American War Medal. Some were made from material salvaged from the USS Maine, and are marked with USS Maine. They were made so veterans could wear the pin on their civilian clothes and show they served and fought in the SAW. A lot like the Grand Army of the Republic did following the Civil War.

The sinking of the USS Maine was a catalyst for the SA War, as the Spanish occupiers based in Cuba were blamed for it. Later it was discovered that the USS Maine sinking was not an act of sabotage, but an unfortunate accident.

As you know it's made/marked Makers, Jos Mayer Inc Seattle
Thank you. By the way USAF Retired myself AGE

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you. By the way USAF Retired myself AGE

Thank you for your service brother. Dealt with AGE, on occasions, also had a few friends over the years in AGE.

My dad retired AF did Aircraft Maintenance.
My FIL retired AF did Munitions.
My brother retired AF did Combat Communications.

And I did Aircrew Life Support which changed to Aircrew Flight Equipment.

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Thanks for telling the whole truth! I will add that the US used that opportunity to annex Guantanamo Bay. Our Navy was in need of a strategic warm water port in the Atlantic.

A number of years ago, when my brother was at GITMO (not in the prison...), I did considerable research on the SAW. The Marines who arrived at Guantanamo Bay in early June, 1898 had a New York Times Magazine reporter with them. He published a series of articles which helped enhance American public opinion and expectation of US Marines. In one article he wrote that the Marines, encamped on the beach, were bathing in the ocean when gunfire erupted nearby. They raced from the water - completely naked - and grabbed only rifles and ammo belts to repulse the attack. After days of harassment by the enemy, the Marines finally took the fight to "The Dons" as they called the Spanish. With new 6mm Lee rifles and several Colt "potato digger" machine-guns, the Marines overwhelmed the Spanish at the battle of Cuzco Well. This was the first known use of mobile machine-guns used for fire support in offensive combat. I was told there are still hundreds of spent cartridges on the ground where the guns were placed.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is why I love relics and history almost as much as coins. Thanks and great job to the forum as usual

Upvote 0

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for telling the whole truth! I will add that the US used that opportunity to annex Guantanamo Bay. Our Navy was in need of a strategic warm water port in the Atlantic.

A number of years ago, when my brother was at GITMO (not in the prison...), I did considerable research on the SAW. The Marines who arrived at Guantanamo Bay in early June, 1898 had a New York Times Magazine reporter with them. He published a series of articles which helped enhance American public opinion and expectation of US Marines. In one article he wrote that the Marines, encamped on the beach, were bathing in the ocean when gunfire erupted nearby. They raced from the water - completely naked - and grabbed only rifles and ammo belts to repulse the attack. After days of harassment by the enemy, the Marines finally took the fight to "The Dons" as they called the Spanish. With new 6mm Lee rifles and several Colt "potato digger" machine-guns, the Marines overwhelmed the Spanish at the battle of Cuzco Well. This was the first known use of mobile machine-guns used for fire support in offensive combat. I was told there are still hundreds of spent cartridges on the ground where the guns were placed.

I had 2 lithographs I recieved as a kid from an older retired Marine (Met him in the 70s in Okinawa). One was a SAW one with a shell casing from the SAW, the other was an Iwo Jima one that had black sand and a shell casing from IJ. Much to my dismay, during one of our PCSs someone felt they deserved them more than I did.

Like yall I am a military history nut......I love touching military history and having had the opportunity to walk in the footsteps of history has fed that love.

Upvote 0

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other

I believe that if you are going to tell a story, tell the whole ugly thing or shut up about it......Don't get me wrong I am a Red, White and Blue blooded patriot, but to put it simply, we as a country have not always been 100% above the board. We have made mistakes......

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread